ADVERTISEMENT

One and Dones a thing of the past ?

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Not that it would have hurt Uconn historically since Drummond was the only 1 and done to the league, but here's the story on:
Kill the NBA age minimum. The G League is ready to replace college

( D- league will be known as the G for Gatorade League in 2017-18)

" The NBA broke new ground in its new collective bargaining agreement by creating the two-way player model that allows teams two roster spots for prospects who can bounce between the G League and NBA club while getting paid a salary much higher than what the G League typically offers. "

" The next step is to find a way to make it worth the while of teenage stars-in-waiting to play in the G League for a year or two instead of signing on with a college program. Silver explicitly mentioned the fact that the G League already allows 18 year olds but that the NBA hasn’t pushed that option to high-end prospects. "

Silver's Interview with Colin Cowerd:

The one and dones somewhat artificially empower only a few entitled teams, UConn not being one of them on a regular basis. The only teams that have won titles with them, Kentucky and Duke, have only done so when recruiting 3 or more at once. This would clearly reduce the dominance of Duke and Kentucky and level the playing field, forcing them to recruit more second tier players who cannot dominate and who have to be developed over time. That is what college basketball has always been about and it's what it should be about.

The MLB/NCAA draft model might be the answer: The NBA can draft whoever they want out of HS, those who sign go to the NBA or D-League. Those that don't can't be drafted again for 3 years. The NBA might not like it though because it'll give the draft picks a little more leverage and the teams less.

Reactions: Afghusky15
Shaggy-

That is what Blades said. MLB model. One issue with the MLB model is that some colleges have abused pitchers causing them to get hurt and lose draft stock. This happened to a kid Canning who tumbled into the second round this year. The Yankees drafted another UCLA pitcher, Kaprelian, who also turned out to be damaged goods and needed Tommy John surgery. High school guys need much more polishing in baseball so MLB teams have been favoring college players. The Twins drafted a HS shortstop #1 strictly for monetary reasons. The real top pick was a Louisville pitcher named McKay who slipped to #4 where the Rays took him.

The Yankees pick af #16 was Clarke Schmidt, a U of South Carolina pitcher who already had TJ surgery due to being overworked. The Yankees rolled the dice and figured they could sign this guy, who was maybe top 15 without surgery but #35 with, to #35 pick money and use the money saved on lower round picks. We will see if the gamble worked. Schmidt will not pitch until some time in 2019.

The one and dones somewhat artificially empower only a few entitled teams, UConn not being one of them on a regular basis. The only teams that have won titles with them, Kentucky and Duke, have only done so when recruiting 3 or more at once. This would clearly reduce the dominance of Duke and Kentucky and level the playing field, forcing them to recruit more second tier players who cannot dominate and who have to be developed over time. That is what college basketball has always been about and it's what it should be about.
Funny you bring them up....not that Calipari is arrogant or anything...( Just ask him , LOL !!!!) he also seems to like the baseball rule too..boy that guy is in love with his own bullsh#t , more than anyone who's ever coached !!...

" However, a change to the NBA's draft-eligibility rules wouldn’t bother Calipari.“This isn’t for me about Kentucky,” Calipari said on a conference call Tuesday. “Whatever happens in this as we go forward, Kentucky eats first. I’m not saying it to be arrogant. You know it. However they play this, it isn’t me talking about ‘well, this is what would be best for Kentucky, for my program "

“Would the baseball rule work? In my mind, yeah,” Calipari said. “Heck yeah. I’d love the baseball rule. I’d love the baseball rule for the kids. They’d have a chance to go right out of high school and get on an NBA roster. If they’re a lottery pick they’ll make $20 million. I love it.”

UK basketball: John Calipari in favor of draft-eligibility change

Latest news.... is starting to sound more like the baseball model.....

"NBA commissioner Adam Silver and NBPA executive director Michele Roberts met with the new Commission on College Basketball"......." NBA teams are now better suited to develop players than they were a couple of decades ago — every team has an assistant coach focused on just that. .... Combine that with the growth of the G-League and teams growing their understanding how to use it, and they are better positioned to draft a player out of high school and develop him over time than they ever have been. "......"There are still a lot of questions and hurdles. If a player declares for the draft and has an agent, but isn’t drafted (or even isn’t drafted in the first round, so no guaranteed contract) will he have the option to come to college for two (or three) years anyway? Will the NCAA allow that? "

NBC Report: Momentum building toward ending one-and-done rule

Sign pro out of HS and go to the "minors" ......or wait and play college (like the MLB 3 year rule)

This will serve to level the playing field in college hoops as guys will just go pro rather than be required to use Duke and Kentucky for a year.......... now those schools will have to recruit in the second tier after the first tier goes pro.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT