ADVERTISEMENT

One And Done Rule Is About To Be Done

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...all-stakeholders-align-support-usa-basketball

The rule has always struck me as bizarre. College basketball has through the years had a series of bizarre rules and rules changes, many of which were seemingly racist in nature. I recall the no dunk and no freshman on varsity teams rules back in the day. With the advent of the NBA Developmental League and USA basketball training programs, the NBA's concerns about getting players who were too raw and undeveloped have slowly been ameliorated. I really feel that the rule change will help UConn by lessening the dominance of teams like Duke and Kentucky which will no longer be able to horde "ready for the NBA talent", which will instead go straight to the NBA leaving Duke and KU to "settle" for guys in the next tier of like 10-20.

Looks like this could be headed in the right direction to give kids who don't want to go to college (one & dones) a choice. Similar to MLB baseball they can now get a livable wage to play in the minors ( not the current $35k a year G-league salary):

The NBA G League today announced a Select Contract as part of a comprehensive professional path that will be available, beginning with the 2019-20 season, to elite prospects who are eligible to play in the NBA G League but not yet eligible for the NBA. The contracts, which will include robust programmatic opportunities for development, are for elite players who are at least 18 years old and will pay $125,000 for the five-month season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT