ADVERTISEMENT

Next years new comers......

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
This is the first year I have gone in with such unknown expectations for what has been added to the team.

Larrier- i can get real excited about him then another day I could see him never playing a big role here.

Gilbert- Next Uconn Great or possibly just a really great effort player. His game tapes are wild with him making great moves but a lot of them against taller players that in College will stuff it back in his face ? Who knows. I loved the signing but can convince myself he wont be the next Bazz/Kemba/Brown/etc....

Vance- No clue on this kid. Ranked highly but I have no clue if he has really anything athletic to add to UCONN. He is one cocky dude though which makes me NOT like him. UCONN is about family and getting each others back....is he a kid that can fit into that ? Silky shooter though so I can see him being a stud as well.

Juwan- thin and fragile or possibly athletic and smooth ? Will he be healthy enough to play this year at all ?

Diarra- I can say without a doubt this is the one that I REALLY like. Big Boss kid we have needed and I see him providing energy and effort ala Jeff Adrian.

Vital- seems like a throw in with a lot of spunk but doesn't move the needle for me at all.

my head is twisted................you guys ?

Gilbert will have the best uconn carrier overall but Larrier will have the most impact next year

Largest class since 2006 when you add Larrier another 4 star into the mix....(at #33 nationally in 2014 by 24/7 he would be the highest rated of this group) ......also it's Uconn's highest rated class (2016 Team Rankings - 247Sports not including Larrier )since the Calhoun's sanctions and KO took over. Good thing, unlike 2006, is they actually have some veteran leadership, since 6 out of the 11 players have never played a minute for Uconn. One thing I noticed in the clip that TCF put up on Larrier as a FR at VCU is he took a ton of bad shots, so hopefully he gets that out of his game. But with all the new guys a bunch of them are going to get some major PT so time will tell who steps up, who the coaches develop and who will make the transition to Uconn basketball the quickest.

Last edited:
I don't really have a feeling on what to expect. I will look forward to the early season games in trying to get a read on the team. I don't put any stock in the mixtapes that have been posted. They don't mean anything until these guys are tested against better college competition.

I am most interested in further development of Enoch and seeing if someone can become a reliable interior scorer. UConn had one interior scorer on the team last year, Miller, and he is gone. So I don't know who the interior scoring threat(s) will be or the rebounders, but I think Enoch could be part of that solution if he can develop. It will also be interesting to see if Larrier gets a look as a stretch 4 if the Facey offense continues to be nonexistent.

I'm working on an article about it on The UConn Blog, but I think 2016-17 will be similar to last year, or perhaps even the year before. Bringing in a good recruiting class won't pay dividends until 1-2 years down the road. The production of Hamilton, Miller, Calhoun and Gibbs will be tough to replace with brand new guys...

Aman- Last year was not a bad season so if we had the same it would be ok. for some reason though this feels like the first real stamp on the program by Ollie.

Could be a BIG change in effort and teamwork........could mean real big things.

Reactions: Doc2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT