ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Ollie - "We took a lot of contested shots"

The reason contested shots were being taken is because of stagnant ball movement and too much one on one play.

One thing that concerns me about this team, which nobody is talking about, is that they are not generating any offense off their defense. A team can survive stagnant lulls in the halfcourt O and many times in the past, UConn had the same kinds of problems on offense in the halfcourt that we saw against Temple. The difference is that past UConn teams would have spurts created by their defense, and would get in transition. This team is not getting squat in transition and it's a huge problem that serves to magnify times when the halfcourt offense stagnates. This UConn team is actually better offensively than many past UConn teams were, from the pure offensive standpoint. They just cannot creat offense off the D and it's a problem in games like this one against an uglyball team like Temple. This is a game where Brimah was missed - his presence in a game like this may have negated about 3 or 4 baskets, and if that happens, it's a really ugly win instead of a really ugly loss.

I don't know the stats but I would guess UConn has less transition baskets this year than any time in recent memory. It was a problem last year too.

Good points by KO on the offensive end.. This game in particular the dribbling and lack of trust with each other reminded me of Shabazz his sophomore year, when he'd stand
at the top of the key, waiting for a spot for the perfect pass while he dribbled the shot clock out. And D-Ham, without Brimah for the lob, seemed to not even look for a pass this
game, it was either run down the court for a bad rushed shot or one on one head down stuff. But across the board in the half court it was alot of standing around until someone
went 1 on 1, with almost no one looking for a pass or even more important, the extra pass. You want to wear a defense down ??? , move the rock, it's alot tougher to guard than
one guy dribbling !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT