ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights v. Merrimack

I get that it's Merrimack, but it appears we have more answers this year and a lot more depth.

I watched The first half of each game and I felt like Larrier was getting his shots within the offense. Encouraging as the defense tightens up and the sloppiness fades. We should be improved rebounding the ball.

Reactions: Afghusky15
I get that it's Merrimack, but it appears we have more answers this year and a lot more depth.

I watched The first half of each game and I felt like Larrier was getting his shots within the offense. Encouraging as the defense tightens up and the sloppiness fades. We should be improved rebounding the ball.

I agree the rebounding looks set to be much better this year than the past few years. Its great that we have bigs who have hands and can catch the ball when the guards past it to them.

I am really excited about the potential the young bigs have, especially Diarra and Whaley.

We have 3 dynamic offensive players in Jalen, Alterique, and Larrier. It will take some time for the latter two to shed some rust and for all three to gel together, but when they do we will have a capable offense.

I am not worried about the turnovers, once the team gets in a couple of games together the turnovers should come down.

The two question marks that remain are 1) 3 point shooting and 2) interior defense.

True...though these were only highlights vs. a starting five ( like I posted b4) of ...6-7 / 6-5 / 6-2 / 6-2 and 6-0.....& alot of the game was an unwatchable TO party which we've seen before..... But as mentioned Diarra already has the body to bang & Whaley looked active and like he has the potential body type that could become a tougher rebounder than stickmen like Larrier and Polley. Hoping Onuorah is a better help defender, though I guess he's pretty much nonexistent on the offensive end from summer league reports. Would be nice to see a few step up and separate themselves to create a solid 8-9 man rotation.

Last edited:
The two question marks that remain are 1) 3 point shooting and 2) interior defense.

Yes. I also thought the perimeter defense was poor against Providence but the interior D is a bigger concern and the 3 point shooting is the biggest concern. This team can't be shooting 33-34% from 3 point land. It seems like a distant memory but in 2014 Napier, Giffey and Daniels all were 40% plus shooters from 3 for the season. I look at the current team and Vital is the only guy I see even sniffing at those numbers.

Hoping Onuorah is a better help defender, though I guess he's pretty much nonexistent on the offensive end from summer league reports.

Jake Voskuhl was one notch above nonexistent on offense, but he was so good on defense UConn won a championship and made an Elite 8 with him starting at center. Best defensive 5 in UConn history all around, for all facets, I give him a notch over Emeka because Jake was a little better setting screens and did not commit fouls and was a bit more durable.

Onuorah, I think, could be similar to Jake. We know he is smart, he has a Cornell degree and those are not given to dummies. I know you crave offense, but my appetite is satisfied if Onuorah clogs up the lane, prevents all out rim attacks, boards and gets some junk scores off O-boards and putbacks. I don't need no glamour boy playing the 5, I want a lunchpail dude and he might be one.

Scoring is going to be the problem I think. Ollie needs to get something squared away on this system......I dont see fluid anything and Im not talking about this viedo, I am talking about anything not involving Bazz......

I actually really like the pieces. Tyler looks smooth, Waley looks like a scrapper, Josh has a nice touch......not bad. Cobb might be good. Cant want to see the transfer kid as well. I know we will lose a lot of games but I will enjoy watching them grow.

Any chance Sid gets to play or has that ship officially sailed ?

UConn biggest problem right now is outside shooting and defense. They get in trouble and start to turn the ball over when they try to do too much. I like what I seen from the new guys so far, I just hope it translate against better talent. I am more concern about the play of Adams, Larrier, Gilbert and Vitale.

I know you crave offense, but my appetite is satisfied if Onuorah clogs up the lane, prevents all out rim attacks, boards and gets some junk scores off O-boards and putbacks. I don't need no glamour boy playing the 5, I want a lunchpail dude and he might be one.
No..... not out of Uconn's bigs.... especially in this offense......I wouldn't have mentioned Onuorah in the context of needing some help defenders if that was the case....but it would be nice if he can improve on his career FT % this year.... 41.2 % ...Ouch ! ( career stats)

Nit would be nice if he can improve on his career FT % this year.... 41.2 % ...Ouch ! ( career stats)

Did you also take note of his 0.3 career assist average? Same career average as Johnnie "Black Hole" Selvie, who never saw a pass he liked and got the majority of his assists when he bobbled the ball away to a teammate who then scored. Onuorah also has a hideous 4-1 TO to assist ratio on his career. Not as hideous as Selvie's 7.5-1 TO/assist ratio, but Selvie was actually handling the ball and scoring 11-12 point a game (strictly in the low post as he could not shoot) so he had more TO opportunities, whereas Onuorah isn't being asked by anyone to score down low (i.e. outside of on opportunistic offensive rebounds of our 3 point shooters' misses, which he hopefully doesn't put on the floor and goes right back up with them).

An offensive player he obviously is not, but I contend that if he can provide Voskuhl-level defensive play, the team will be just fine.

Last edited:
The NCAA has far more important things to do, like read the federal prosecutor's file in the fraud and corruption case so they can check up on all the work they have not been doing in regulating the recruiting process.

Yeah, well, let's hope they don't start wondering how we always get a kids mom who miraculously rises out of hardship to make every away game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT