ADVERTISEMENT

Hamilton NBA Draft Status

I don't see Daniel staying off the draft board. Whether he will go back to the top 10 or as high as #6 remains to be seen. It will be fun to watch.

Me either..... probably somewhere in the middle lies the truth, ....and regarding Brimah's new ranking...with a #31 on NBA draft.net , a #37 from Walter the Football and even Draft Express ranking him a #46 Amida Brimah for 2016..... does this constitute a consensus for him leaving ???? ... LOL ! Just kidding... just kidding... time will tell !!!

But the reason I put a little more faith in Draft Express is that they're even endorsed by Marty Blake, NBA director of scouting and get one from the OKC GM.... Besides: "running a service that has been featured on NBATV, NBA.com, ESPN, Grantland, Sporting News Radio, the Washington Post, the LA Times, and the New York Times among other media outlets. Their NBA draft content has been syndicated by organizations such as Yahoo!, Rivals, HoopsHype, and more."

Link- About Us - DraftExpress

Last edited:
Blades if I may be honest I always liked and respected DE more than Draft Net. However when DN put Daniel Hamilton at #6 I kind of changed my feelings about them. I never viewed either of these websites as Moses with the 10 commandments like u think. I always take whatever I read even in CNN and BBC with grains of salt. I am an attorney and am capable of critical thought. However I kind of thought that DN projections looked on target.

I read all the mock drafts in all the sports. I find it all interesting. Did you ever see the movie Draft Day with Kevin Costner? I highly recommend it. It's totally fictional and about the NFL draft but very entertaining.

Yeah Draft Day was a good flick.....but I think I get it after reading enough of your posts... the attorney in you likes to debate even when there isn't one, I made 2 light hearted posts
about a couple of mocks you posted at the top and nothing more... but I can go forever when you assume about me as you put it " What you are not appreciating" in your 3rd post. Regarding these "stock market type mock rankings".... especially since it's a slow time of year in college sports ...

As someone who ran my own website with over 1.5 million hits a year before the net was as popular as it is today and 3 separate businesses at the same time, I've needed to be more than critical with all kinds of information too..... while I set up an east coast network and allies, marketed to the masses and fighting city hall constantly..So the stuff that goes on with this board is all entertainment and child's play...compared to the angles, leverage and even tax law that I've had to explain, breakdown and discuss for my attorneys and accountants.... so we could all do our jobs.

Last edited:
Draft day made me nauseous :p

My gut says this is Ham's last year and he'll be a lottery pick. Which I'd be ok with as long as he delivers #5.

Draft day made me nauseous :p

My gut says this is Ham's last year and he'll be a lottery pick. Which I'd be ok with as long as he delivers #5.

+1, as we've seen time and time again at Uconn, when a player has a good run in the NCAA's they usually get the tourney bump in the draft( Can anyone spell Thabeet ? Emeka and Ben at #2 & #3 , etc.) As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, team success, has often been tied in with players draft status over the years. Whether it's fair or not. But that's not a bad thing for us fans.

And come on Canolee, you didn't love the draft move drama that worked out perfectly for Costner...as only it can in Hollywood....for the grand finale ...LOL ! ;)

Last edited:
Draft Day was a good movie. You have to accept it as entertainment and not sports science. If you want a movie based on sports science rent Moneyball.

Best thing about Draft Day was the interplay between the Costner GM character and the Denis Leary hard nosed coach who brags about his Super Bowl rings. The tug of war on personnel decisions between GMs and coaches in every sport is interesting and this movie presented a fascinating take on that frequent clash of wills.

Last edited:
+1, as we've seen time and time again at Uconn, when a player has a good run in the NCAA's they usually get the tourney bump in the draft( Can anyone spell Thabeet ? Emeka and Ben at #2 & #3 , etc.) As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, team success, has often been tied in with players draft status over the years. Whether it's fair or not. But that's not a bad thing for us fans.

And come on Canolee, you didn't love the draft move drama that worked out perfectly for Costner...as only it can in Hollywood....for the grand finale ...LOL ! ;)

Lol Blades. How about the moron that ran The Jags? That guy would be considered a hack here on the boards. Although the NY Knicks management since Pat Reilly has been that inept and the Jags are pretty damn bad themselves.

Khalid, it was so farfetched. But I guess you could say that even the non fiction sports movies are 'seasoned' by the time Hollywood gets a hold of it.

Thought this thread needs a mid season look, D-Ham is obviously in a funk now, but anyone think he can turn it around B4 the end of the season ? and move back up...Or that he is a guaranteed lock to get drafted this year ? The NBA "experts" that had him a top 10 for 2016 in May don't even have him draft-able now: NBA Draft.net- 2016 Mock Draft

They do have him as a late 1st rounder #29 in 2017 and still higher than the #42 Draft Express ranks him in their 2017 Mock Draft.... Brimah has a similar 2017 range with both (#45/ #51) sites.....I guess Uconn should have plenty of bodies for 2016-17 if true. ;).......Also FWIW, Purvis doesn't get a blip from D-EX..but does make the radar of NBADraft.net as #50 in 2017..... and personally I think Shon Miller might have the best NBA game right now on the team, though a little undersized.

Last edited:
I think Purvis leaves regardless after this year even if it's just to play overseas. He's graduating and old for his class. His game is what it is and probably won't change much if he were to stay for his final season or graduate transfer like Gibbs

Reactions: the Blades
Funny and hard to believe Hamilton was at one time #6. Right now he barely looks good enough to keep his starting spot at UConn let alone leave for the pros. It reminds me that Larrier coming in next year may give UConn some options even if Durham isn't ready, plus that other kid from California coming in who is a Rashad Anderson-like 3 point marksman. Ollie has compiled and impressive array of recruits. The future looks good. I personally don't think Hamilton, Purvis or Brimah are going anywhere and thus those three and Facey will provide a solid returning veteran core to guide the new players. Larrier is going to be like a 3rd year player even though a sophomore elilgibility wise.

Funny and hard to believe Hamilton was at one time #6. Right now he barely looks good enough to keep his starting spot at UConn let alone leave for the pros. It reminds me that Larrier coming in next year may give UConn some options even if Durham isn't ready, plus that other kid from California coming in who is a Rashad Anderson-like 3 point marksman. Larrier is going to be like a 3rd year player even though a sophomore elilgibility wise.

Just be forewarned on Larrier, I think it was TCF15 who put together some of his game play from VCU( not just highlights), he'll be another guy who needs to learn what a good shot is. Saw a bunch of rushed or bad shot from his FR year and his shooting % spells it out....34% FG's...26 % on 3's...( decent on FT's 71%) so I hope he's listening and learning during this off year.

Agree on Miller, blades. He'll have to prove he can make a perimeter shot consistently, but I can see someone taking him in the second round and possibly sticking. He should try to focus his energy on becoming a defensive stopper, he certainly has the athleticism.

Hamilton has no business leaving, but a run in the tourney and everyone will forget this funk. I'd personally worry about a guy that is limited athletically, coupled with his decision making if I was evaluating him.

Purvis might as well come back, especially if Brimah and Hamilton stay.

Any thoughts on the lineup next year?

I always keep one of these lists in my files, if Rodney leaves because he graduates, D-Ham could bump up to the SG with AG first guard off the bench, either way it looks like a bigger team and not alot of small ball options:

2016-17
GUARDS
44 Rodney Purvis 6-4/205 Guard RS SR Raleigh. N.C.
2 Jalen Adams 6-3/187 PG/SG SO Roxbury, MA

3 Alterique Gilbert 5-11/175 PG FR Lithonia, GA
10 Sam Cassell Jr. 6-4/194 Guard SR Baltimore, MD

WINGS:
5 Daniel Hamilton 6-7/195 G/F JR Los Angeles, CA
22 Terry Larrier 6-8/195 G/F RS SO Bronx, NY
Vance Jackson 6-8/220 G/F FR Pasadena,CA

FORWARDS
12 Kentan Facey 6-10/217 F SR Trelawny, Jamaica
21 Mamadou Diarra 6-7/225 PF FR Corona, NY/
24 Christian Foxen 6-8/223 F JR Rocky Hill, CT

CENTERS
35 Amida Brimah 7-0/232 Center SR Accra, Ghana
13 Steve Enoch 6-11/245 F/C SO Norwalk, CT
23 Juwan Durham 6-11/210 C/ PF FR Tampa, FL

Need another big guy for next year. Durham isn't a center and he will be coming off injury

Need another big guy for next year. Durham isn't a center and he will be coming off injury

Those were just loose positions for depth purposes. Unless Purvis doesn't come back and even still, I think there done recruiting, right now you have 4 in and 4 out......and I see everyone besides Brimah as interchangeable 4/5's the way KO likes to sub, hell right now he uses D-Ham as a 4... and they may be short on another ball handler/ combo guard..
too ( again depending on RP or other losses)... if he'd rather have a small ball look

Last edited:
Thanks Blades.

Can Jackson play some 2? I know he's not the best athlete. Maybe we'd have to zone if he's in with Hamilton or Larrier. Actually maybe Larrier can in that case?

Durham could be brought along slowly coming off the injury. A redshirt would be nice, but that doesn't happen anymore these days.

Cassell could leave for his 5th year I'd think? And I wouldn't blame him. I can see Gilbert playing a lot.

If Cassell and/or Purvis leave they have to find a combo, can't play a whole season with only 2 true guards, that's a nightmare waiting to happen with fouls, injuries, etc.
Don't know what kind of handle Jackson has but either way how is Uconn gonna guard all these small ball sets teams like to use, i can't see him guarding quick guards ?
And I love Durham's skill set at the 4 or 5...he looks like he can play away from the basket no matter what line-up they want to run out there....but we'll have to see on his injuries
like you guys have mentioned.

Maybe Cassell is being patient expecting to play a ton for next year. And/or Ollie figures he can land another post grad at guard like he has the last few years(Kromah and Gibbs). That being said, I expect Purvis to return.

Hamilton obviously has guard skills, but like you said, I don't think he'd be able to keep anyone in front of him. And zone is cool as a wrinkle at certain points of the game, but we have 4 banners hanging because of our man to man defense.

I just watched Durhams highlights. Very impressive skill set. He's long and athletic around the rim and has a nice mid range stroke. Has anyone seen him play an entire game? If he'll defend and play with intensity, he has star potential. If he's healthy, he'll play next year.

I changed the thread title to "Hamilton NBA Draft Status."

We will need to update the thread as the season moves forward as I don't see Daniel staying off the draft board. Whether he will go back to the top 10 or as high as #6 remains to be seen. It will be fun to watch.

I will sum up Hamilton's Draft Status as follows:
His plus skills are size for his position are ball handling, passing, rebounding, and defense.
His negative skills are shooting and finishing.

Since no one will value ball handling and passing at his size without the ability to score well, he will be slotted in as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

If he has any intention of getting up into the lottery, he must drastically improve his shooting and scoring. In my opinion that will be impossible with the amount of time left in this season.
He would be better served to come back and show he has improved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT