ADVERTISEMENT

Hamilton NBA Draft Status

What you are not appreciating is that other outlets are listing Hamilton as taller than UConn does. ESPN has him at 6'9" and DraftNet has him at 6'8.5". This is why the Draft scouts are so high on him. He is long and skilled and has good size for a 3.

DHam is most likely gone barring injury... That is why Larrier was a must and Larrier knew or expects that so

What you are not appreciating is that other outlets are listing Hamilton as taller than UConn does. ESPN has him at 6'9" and DraftNet has him at 6'8.5". This is why the Draft scouts are so high on him. He is long and skilled and has good size for a 3.

Stop jumping to conclusions about what I know.....Daniels and D-Ham measured out a the same height at the Nike Skillz camp last summer so this is old news to me that I don't need ESPN or Draft.net to know. Though Daniels had a wing span over 7 ft while D-Ham was only around 6-8 if I recall.

Yes but DHAM as a freshman was a much better rebounder than Daniels was even as a Junior. This is why multiple scouting services have him going in the lottery. Like Ozzie said unless he gets hurt it is insanity to stay in school if you are a lottery pick. Larrier will step right in when DHam leaves.

Yes but DHAM as a freshman was a much better rebounder than Daniels was even as a Junior. This is why multiple scouting services have him going in the lottery. Like Ozzie said unless he gets hurt it is insanity to stay in school if you are a lottery pick. Larrier will step right in when DHam leaves.

Stop with the strawman shit....think what you want... I never said he would or wouldn't be going... ...If an NBA GM tells him he's that high I gue$$ he'll have to go....early entry works out for some.. it doesn't for others...... Whatever.....I'll watch the season and let Daniel decide....enough already.

I got to add that I'm not sure that NBAdraft.net is a big favorite of the Hamilton family. That site had brother Jordan projected a few picks out of the lottery in 2011, but he didn't go until # 26. Since then he's been nothing but a journeyman with 3 teams and in the D-league the past 4 years playing about 35 games a year in the NBA.....also on 10 day contracts this year.....Something tells me the Fam' thought things would be a little different after he left Texas after his sophomore year...

Last edited:
Danny is the most talented of the Hamilton brothers!

Gotta give a shout out to Isaac too and his double digit scoring as FR for UCLA (put 36 pts on USC one game)....not as big as Daniel who has the most
versatility and upside. I'm just looking for Daniel to improve his shot and clean-up his TO's to cement himself for a solid NBA career whether he's a 2 and
out guy like Rudy/Caron or a 3 year guy like Rip, Ray, Donyell, Emeka, Ben, Kemba......

I watched Isaac last year at UCLA. He looks a lot like Danny, facially and in body type, and his game is similar to Danny's. But as you noted he is 4 inches shorter and isn't the war horse that Danny is on the boards. He could develop into a very good shooting guard prospect if he stays at UCLA. I think when all is said and done Danny will be the highest NBA draft pick of all 3 brothers. I do think Isaac will also be drafted as a shooting guard. He is a good athlete and a good scorer.

I just love that we have Danny coming back next year, he would have been a first rounder last year and he came back.

He will be the focal point of next years team and I can't wait. Those BS scouts who said he was selfish and just a shooter couldn't have been so wrong. He has a great team attitude, rebounds better than any offensive player I have seen in YEARS. A couple bone head mistakes but they were all made in a proactive way trying to make a play...... he is everything you want in a freshman. Great kid, great family, great team player............. one of the best recruits we have ever landed.

I agree Dom. Scouts were way off on Hamilton. He is a team player all the way and I loved the chemistry he developed with Brimah. In fact when Brimah dropped 40 on Coppin State half his points were great passes from Danny. I hope Brimah took Danny to dinner at least once for all the great feeds Brimah received from him. None of the scouts mentioned Hamilton was a horse on the boards. I don't think I ever saw a kid his size and body type that beasts on the boards like that. He totally outrebounded all the bigs and then doubled their totals.

The two issues with Danny were the TOs which like you said were mostly trying to make something happen, and a tendency to fall asleep on defense at times. These are typical freshman issues that get cleaned up with experience. He is going to be as good or better than Rip Hamilton. The only thing Rip had on Danny at this stage was a superior mid range game, but Danny's is developing. Danny is a little taller than Rip. The rebounding and assisting he does is what makes him greater than others at his position. He will have triple doubles next year.

Last edited:
I expect a breakout year from D-Ham, I think Goodman from ESPN was the main one labeling him a gunner after seeing him once or twice in summer or HS ball ,then he back
tracked once he got to Uconn saying he needed to shoot more......SMH at these fr#ckin experts ! Also no way he would have been a first rounder this year, so slow down...... as I said
he's got work to do on his shot....... 38 % on FG's and 10.8 pts a game ain't a guaranteed ticket to a long NBA career, so relax. It's like some of you guys forgot how successful the best of the best at Uconn became when they stuck around 3 years and proved theirselves instead of these guys rushing things to the pros until they're out of a job in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Hard to imagine a projected top 5-7pick the next year would not have been picked in the first round. Sorry, he was getting picked in the first round last year.

Hard to imagine a projected top 5-7pick the next year would not have been picked in the first round. Sorry, he was getting picked in the first round last year.
Eh yeah sure... maybe in your mind and when pigs fly but the 27th rated freshman ( not to mention all the upperclassmen ahead of him) in This years spring ratings...wasn't going anywhere near the first round......pay attention to something in CBB besides Uconn and you might get the bigger picture..... I'm sure D-Ham and his family knew that so it's no shock that he's back... but keep trying to sell otherwise.

Last edited:
I am thinking that Danny would have gone late first or early second round this year. Note that Oubre is projected as the #17 pick and Hollis-Jefferson as #22. I doubt Hamilton would have been picked before those guys after one year.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

Next year that position thins out and with development Danny will jump into the top 10, maybe even the top 5. And don't forget that a spot on the roster needs to clear out for Larrier in 2016-17. It's clear that this is why Larrier was recruited and why he fits.

Note that Oubre is projected as the #17 pick and Hollis-Jefferson . I doubt Hamilton would have been picked before those guys after one year.

The key here is after one year, not saying he doesn't have great upside but he's gotta prove he can shoot. He had 26 freshman and a bunch of upperclassmen that where ranked higher that would have knocked him out of the 1st round.. Oubre is ranked the #7 Freshman( 20 spots higher) so he's right in the mock draft conversation and the other kid you mentioned is a soph, but as overall prospects they rated as 13 and 17... Daniel is nowhere to be found..NBA Top 100 Prospects

I get it's the now generation but has that become the goal here for fans.....to see a kid get drafted in the 2nd round and then be out of the league after a "cup of coffee" because he's sitting on the end of the bench or in the D-league for a pro team that's not gonna wait for him to develop ? If you look at Uconn's storied history of early entry greats that have moved up the NBA draft rankings and had decent to great NBA careers.... they all have alot in common in regards to team success and production while at Uconn. Daniel doesn't come close to any of those guys..... YET.......but I expect to see big things as he grows as a player!

Last edited:
Danny has the shooting stroke but this is where it gets interesting. Danny shot an average 34% from 3 point land; Oubre was only slightly better at 36% while Hollis-Jefferson shot a moose ball-sucking 20% over 2 years (his draft status seems to be due more to his explosive athleticism than anything else). There is no doubt Daniel has to improve his shooting and I think he will. He can shoot in the 38-40% range on 3s and I am banking on him doing it.

Danny has the shooting stroke but this is where it gets interesting. Oubre was only slightly better at 36% on 3's (But shot 44.4 on FG's.)while Hollis-Jefferson (50.2 on FG's)(his draft status seems to be due more to his explosive athleticism than anything else).

Bingo... Oubre is probably rated better as an NBA level athlete too .... guys are drafted and rated for different reasons( see Andre when speaking of shooting and animal parts...but he
was ranked number 2 in the draft before he came to Uconn.) Daniel can be the whole package if he develops and then he will cement himself in the lottery like Uconn guys who put up
numbers like these the year before they left:

............................. FG%.... PTS
Ray Allen .............472.....23.4
Rip Hamilton..... .443..... 21.5
Caron Butler....... .486.... 20.3
Ben Gordon ........ .434....18.5
Donyell Marshall. .511... 25.1
Emeka Okafor.... .599....17.6
Kemba Walker... .428....23.5
Rudy Gay............ .461....15.2
Jeremy Lamb...... .478.... 17.7
C. Villanueva ..... .521....13.6
not:
Daniel Hamilton .380.... 10.9

Last edited:
Blades-

On the other hand if you forget about shooting and look just at rebounding and assists Hamilton blows Oubre away. Oubre totals were 5.0 rpg and 0.8 apg whereas Danny was 7.6 and 3.7 apg. Danny is tougher than Oubre. Whatever deficit there is in shooting and athleticism Danny more than makes up with rebounds and assists and general toughness. I think he will be better than Oubre long term.

Blades-

On the other hand if you forget about shooting and look just at rebounding and assists Hamilton blows Oubre away. Oubre totals were 5.0 rpg and 0.8 apg whereas Danny was 7.6 and 3.7 apg. Danny is tougher than Oubre. Whatever deficit there is in shooting and athleticism Danny more than makes up with rebounds and assists and general toughness. I think he will be better than Oubre long term.

I didn't know that NBA GM's do that, they just forget about shooting ???? OK...... ;).........but I never said he couldn't become better than Oubre...I said just the opposite...he could become the whole package..... but the point is no GM was taking him ahead of Oubre or a bunch of other guys this year ....................that's why he's back in college and it's not debatable...which is a good thing for Uconn as long as he doesn't stay out west with Issac!

Daniel Hamilton 6'8 & Isaac Hamilton 6'5 - these guys went all out today!

Last edited:
Ozzie,

Every friend I ever had named Daniel always asked me to call him Danny. I think this may partly have something to do with the Elton John song "Daniel", which by the way, is a really good song, and I think it's written about a Vietnam veteran coming home, but these guys didn't like it.

If you don't mind "Daniel" being played at UConn games next year I can go with Daniel, but remember that if that does start happening, and you object to the song, it's on you, not me.

Devin Robinson listed over DHam??...I think not.

So happy we ended up with Hamilton and I wouldn't trade him for any of the other wings we had targeted for last year's class...and even better, we have Larrier in the fold anyway

Devon Robinson is definitely nowhere near the player that D-Ham is. He had an okay freshman season but DHam was way better.........

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft.

Given this status I think it has to be viewed as a lock that Danny will leave after this year. Larrier will then step right in and fill his spot on the roster.

Well seeing that you consider NBAdraft.net to be some kind of bible of talent evaluators it looks like we could have D-ham for 4 years (for the record I don't look at that site as anymore than some guy in a basement that bought a web domain).... but here goes their new status on D-Ham that they just put out from the Nike camp ( no # 7 ranking, no lottery pick rating, not projected as a first rounder or even draftable for 2016 in either round)......

2016 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net but they do have Amida rated as an early 2nd rnd pick..(WTF ????)......( Disclaimer: as with all these "EXPERTS" OPINIONS...TAKe IT FOR WHAT IT's Worth !)

Nike Basketball Academy: NCAA Prospects

Daniel Hamilton
6'8 198 UConn So. (6'8 wingspan)
Based on where we had him rated, Hamilton would have to qualify as one of the biggest disappointments of the event. His body has shown very little development, and he struggles to get anywhere off the dribble. He did not impress scouts as a first round candidate here and may end up being a four year guy at UConn. On the positive side, he measured bigger than expected and does have excellent shooting ability, but will need to diversify his game in order to pique the interest of NBA scouts.

Last edited:
Well if you compare the actual 2015 draft with the latest mock draft they had, they were pretty spot on. It's not some random guy in a basement but rather a sophisticated compilation of reports from scouts and other professional talent evaluators in the NBA.

Regarding Hamilton, it's very disappointing to hear he performed poorly at Nike camp. However him being a 4 year guy at UConn may be tough to pull off, as Larrier was recruited to essentially replace Hamilton. It was assumed Hamilton would be a lottery pick after this season. That is why KO went after Larrier.

One other thing you have to remember is that the best scout based mock drafts in any sport show volatility like the stock markets. After his 40 point game last year Brimah was a mid 1st round draft pick on NBA Draft Net, but after he had some poor games against Duke and other top teams he dropped off the board. A lot of scouts were at that Duke game. In the stock market the same stuff happens and if you don't have intestinal fortitude as an investor, you need to get out. It works the same way with basketball talent evaluation. Some guys are NBA 1st round picks off a great NCAA tournament. Some have stock drop due to poor performances or injuries or character issues that emerge late in a season. So we will need to wait and see what happens. Hamilton may be back in the lottery by end of next season.

Last edited:
Here is NBA Draft Net's own mission statement:

"Our projections are based on the opinions of the scouts that work for NBADraft.net, in conjunction with the NBA and International scouts that we speak with."

http://www.nbadraft.net/about_nbadraft_mock_draft.html

So it's not Jimmy The Greek sitting in his basement with a scotch whisky in one hand and a cigar in the other, shooting from the hip as he writes,

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
KSTW.....the Jimmy the Greek stuff ...that's some funny sh#T ! ......I agree that they may have gotten a little better over the years, but they were laughable and called
out for their guess/copy and paste work by many a few years back and were so limited compared to a legit site like Draft Express who provided actual NBA scouts and GM's input....

...With a domain name that gets as many web search hits as they do ...they can probably afford to fund a little more onsite research now... to try to legitimize theirself....Though their expert opinion of a #7 lottery pick for D-Ham a month ago to now not even rating him...seems like a pretty big f#ck up on the part of NBADraft.net.....anyway you want to spin it ...

Last edited:
Regarding Hamilton, it's very disappointing to hear he performed poorly at Nike camp. One other thing you have to remember is that the best scout based mock drafts in any sport show volatility like the stock markets. Some guys are NBA 1st round picks off a great NCAA tournament. Some have stock drop due to poor performances or injuries or character issues that emerge late in a season. So we will need to wait and see what happens. Hamilton may be back in the lottery by end of next season.

Missed this post by you KSTW....but I agree...this ^ ^ ^ is exactly what I was saying when you started the thread in May and in the long discussion.

FWIW...I called BS on nbadraft.net in the second post ... and said I was waiting for a 2nd opinion from( Draft Express who never had him rated as a lottery pick)...now it looks like the NBAdraft.net are calling BS on themselves since they've had D-Ham all over the place like dogsh#t ! Even their recent "expert opinion" sounds bogus to anyone who's watched him for more than a week this July..... from NBAdraft.net:

" he measured bigger than expected( no he didn't he measured out the same last summer) and does have excellent shooting ability, ( really ? his shooting has been what he needs to improve on as KO mentioned ) but will need to diversify his game ( WTF, all his intangibles..scoring, handle, passing and rebounding is what makes him diversified) in order to pique the interest of NBA scouts. "

Maybe they should interview his head coach who knows a little something about the NBA: “When you look at versatility, that’s it right there,” Ollie said .“We also want him to take better shots. Being 6-7 and as athletic as he is, he should be getting more dunks, more layups and not taking so many contested shots. I think that’s in the back of his mind. We showed him a lot of tape where he can get better shots.”

But the bottom line is like you just mentioned and I said above in May ..let's see what real NBA GM's think come draft time...because some of these mock sites are nothing more than entertainment run by guys who took a couple of writing courses and spend their time searching for info ....sophisticated ? ...look at them as Jimmy the Greek minus his racist remarks and the whiskey.... LOL!

Last edited:
I think the NBA Draft Net and other mock draft boards operate much like the stock market. When a company issues a bad quarterly earnings, the stocks tumble, even though the company may be very solid. What happened to Hamilton with Nike camp is he had a bad quarter. How he performs over the season will be more important. He has a lot of great tools. We will see what happens.

What happened to Hamilton with Nike camp is he had a bad quarter. How he performs over the season will be more important. He has a lot of great tools. We will see what happens.

Well, maybe a bad week total and SMH at what I read from Dom saying he :confused: was a first rounder this year ..And now their "lottery pick" is off "their board" completely ?. You and me could give a better evaluation of Hamilton's game than the one just put out by mock guys trying to play theirself off as gospel. And yes let's watch the entire season and see how his game develops....that was my whole point about 25 posts ago......

Last edited:
It should be noted that they had Brimah as a mid 1st round pick after the 40 point game against Coppin State, and then after his 0 point, 1 rebound effort against Duke and a few other no shows against other top 40 teams, he dropped off the board. But now he is back on as a early 2nd rounder, likely due to his shot block surge at the end of the season.

It demonstrates the stock market-like quality of the mock drafts, but it doesn't mean they should be ignored. If that were true then stock investors would pay no attention to the Dow Jones Industrial average. These boards have to be watched, not just for entertainment, but also to get a reasonable feel as to what the scouting community is thinking based on current information.

Is the guy who compiles NBADraft.Net a Jimmy The Greek wannabe sitting in a dingy basement in front of a computer with a cigar in one hand, a bottle of scotch on the table, a portrait of Jimmy the Greek on the wall and an Associates Degree in English from Phoenix University hanging crookedly on the wall behind his computer, as Blades suggests? We can only use our imaginations on this one. I picture a younger Adam Schechter or Andy Katz type of character involved in the operation of this site. Guys like that are top flight reporters who generally get good information from good contacts. I do think Schechter went way too far posting the medical records of Jason Pierre-Paul of the NY Giants on the Internet, but it shows that these guys are able to get information from the people who know something. I think NBADrat.Net's operator may be that character in the basement but it seems like he knows people,like Schechter and Katz know people. For all we know it could be Katz or Fran Fraschilla that is running that site.

Last edited:
KSTW, you can keep trying to justify them. All I said right from the beginning is take it with a grain of salt. And now it showed he was way the f#ck off and draft express was never that far off (if either of em' are right)... so who ever runs that site is all over the place like chicken sh%T.....Borges from the Register gathers some pretty good opinions from NBA scouts too...but everyone has an opinion... like it's been said about many of the self proclaimed draft guru's... if they where so damn good then why aren't they working for pro teams....capiche ? .... Oh and by the way you may want to correct the title of this thread !!!

Last edited:
I changed the thread title to "Hamilton NBA Draft Status."

We will need to update the thread as the season moves forward as I don't see Daniel staying off the draft board. Whether he will go back to the top 10 or as high as #6 remains to be seen. It will be fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT