ADVERTISEMENT

Tristen & Andre to the NBA draft / combine / retaining eligibility

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
"Jackson will participate NBA draft combine in mid-May and has until the May 31 early entry deadline to make a decision on remaining in the draft or returning to UConn for his senior year, according to the report. Sources have indicated that Jackson would likely need an assurance of a first-round selection by a team in order to remain in the draft. Only first-round picks get guaranteed money, though second-round picks (even undrafted free agents) can negotiate guaranteed contracts. "

Last edited:
There is a little bit of a problem here for UConn because while these guys wait to decide, the pool of talent available via the portal/2023 class is dwindling. I suspect Andre will not be picked in the 1st round (it's a deep draft and he cannot shoot). If Andre does get picked and Newton also leaves, UConn might have to scramble for replacements. There might not be any returning experienced guards at all if those 2 leave, unless Diarra comes back, and he is clearly a bench piece.

Reactions: the Blades
UConn doesn't have Nick yet- which is kind of my point. He has a starting job waiting for him at Kansas and he is being asked to wait to learn if he will start or be 6th man. Unless Castle wants to come off the bench........

UConn doesn't have Nick yet- which is kind of my point. He has a starting job waiting for him at Kansas and he is being asked to wait to learn if he will start or be 6th man. Unless Castle wants to come off the bench........
I don't agree on any of this ...there is no point to any of this speculation, let alone who would start if he came to Storrs, even with AJ and Newton here. Fans who think they know are FOS.....only DH knows once the season starts.

BTW... Kansas just reclassified a 2024 4 star wing and are also bringing in three more 4 star guards (2 are ranked #27 and #34) so Nick having a guaranteed starting spot at Kansas is pure BS too. Though Bill Self may tell him that, ;)

PS..... if those 4 to compete with for PT aren't enough at KU....looks like Bill Self ain't done- all is fair in the portal, telling kids what they want to hear and recruiting, LOL! (BTW, Tyson's a 40% 3pt shooter)

Last edited:

>>Newton is unlikely to be selected in the NBA Draft on June 22, but it can't hurt to get some input.
"Pretty much what I need to work on: probably tightening up my ballhandling a little bit, being more trustworthy as a shooter, to be honest," he said, when asked what he expects to hear from scouts, general managers, coaches and others. He added that it's "hard to say" whether he's leaning towards going pro or returning to UConn, but noted that running it back with the Huskies is an attractive idea.<<

"Pretty much what I need to work on: probably tightening up my ballhandling a little bit, being more trustworthy as a shooter, to be honest," he said, when asked what he expects to hear from scouts, general managers, coaches and others.
He is right about those two things, but I thought his shooting got better as the season went along last year, as did his range.

One of the things I read is that Newton and Jackson have until May 31 to decide whether they are staying in the draft. The draft is June 22. Should Jackson decide to stay in the draft, IMHO, he would be majorly rolling the dice- Vegas style. He is the projected #30 pick overall- the last selection of the first round- in both the ESPN and NBA Draft Net Mock Drafts. All he needs to do is fall one notch and slip into the 2nd round, and no guaranteed money. Yesterday, some 19 year old French kid playing in the NBL in Australia declared for the NBA draft. He is a 6'7" wing and ESPN has him going #17. That declaration moves Jackson down one notch. It's also a very deep draft. Jackson has to decide if he is a riverboat captain or UConn captain. With Newton he isn't on any draft board, and I do not see him getting drafted, period. I think Newton is a very good college player, but I don't think his game translates well to the NBA, mainly because he lacks the NBA level athleticism which AJ possesses in abundance.

Last edited:
Borges from the NHR....does his annual NBA scouts take story ....he'll usually put together for draftable Huskies:
"as one Eastern Conference NBA scout put it: "He's in a tricky spot.".......Ultimately, both scouts theorize that Jackson could be selected anywhere from late first round to not drafted at all, with the second round the most likely bet. ........It's not a bad spot to be in, of course. Jackson is viewed as a potential late first-round draft pick, where the money is guaranteed, but far more likely a second-round selection, where it gets, well, trickier. He could still make good money. Look no further than former UConn teammate Tyrese Martin, who was drafted No. 55 overall by Atlanta last year and signed a two-year, $2.7 million contract, with over $1 million guaranteed. "

"Or does he see that he's going to be a middle to late-second round pick and come back for another year, adds even a little bit to his offense, all of a sudden now, he's a top 20-25 pick and makes himself guaranteed money?"

"Somebody," one scout predicted, "is going to take a chance on him." And if Jackson instead returns to UConn for his senior year?....."People are not going to forget about him," one scout reckoned, "if he goes back for another year."

UConn has never had a player quite like Andre. If he could shoot even a little bit, he would be an easy first round pick, and probably a top 10 pick. However, to have a guy like that out on the floor, and not be playing 4 on 5 on offense because of all the other things he can do, is fairly remarkable.

I am going to be surprised if he doesn't come back, both because of his statements that Hurley would have to tell him to leave to keep him off the team, and because I think he will get feedback that he has to figure out some better mid range shooting game to be an effective pro. I think his return is more important than Tristen's, although if they are both back, UConn will be returning 3 starters plus really a 4th when you consider Clingan probably should have been starting as a freshman but had Sanogo in front of him. And they would then have as deep or deeper of a team than last year.

As far as glue guys go, AJ is as good as they get. This will be true in the pros as well. Teams will covet him.

Last edited:
UConn has never had a player quite like Andre. If he could shoot even a little bit, he would be an easy first round pick, and probably a top 10 pick. However, to have a guy like that out on the floor, and not be playing 4 on 5 on offense because of all the other things he can do, is fairly remarkable.

As far as glue guys go, AJ is as good as they get. This will be true in the pros as well. Teams will covet him.
Yep, probably the most unique player ever in Storrs. Since he's talked about as an NBA pick yet only scores it at, 6.7 & 6.8 ppg, the last 2 years.

Uconn's mid season struggles ( when I was over the top at calling it out ).....was tied directly into Hurley not reeling in AJ's bad shot selection, especially the 3's, during the teams 2-6 run, mostly in January.
AJ single-handedly cost Uconn both Xavier games by taking 14 and 12 shots (on 8-26)..with the most telling numbers overall being .333% on FG and 3.9 assists, during that 8 game stretch.

But once they flipped the script, "figuring it out" by putting AJ at what DH called the "dunkers spot" and as a "push/point" forward, he became invaluable ( numbers jumped to .500 FG's and 6.9 assists) in the dominating run to the the NC. Him focusing on D, rebounding and setting up all the good shooters around him, was the "less is more " and exactly what we talked about in season, Which now has him being talked about as a late 1st round NBA pick. I don't think that ever happens without that change and/or the NC run.

"I think because of his effectiveness as a screener and getting to the dunker spot.....“He’s figured it out,” Hurley noted."

Last edited:
Newton with 14 pts ( 5 for 5) so far today in first half.......3 triples + plus an and one drive.

Newton with 14 pts ( 5 for 5) so far today in first half.......3 triples + plus an and one drive.
Despite the good shooting night, it looks like Tristen did not get the bump up to the actual NBA Combine, so it might be time to get a good NIL deal in place for his return to Storrs...

Andre player comp is MKG. Andre’s the better passer and MKG is better at getting to the basket. Andre was Andre in the combine scrimmages. In the 2nd scrimmage after he missed some shots badly, he was hesitant to shoot and started passing up open shots.

Kidd Gilchrist was the #2 overall draft pick the year he was drafted and from that standpoint, he was a bust. He played 8 or so years in the NBA and averaged 8 points, 5 boards and 1 assist. He was an awful shooter (career 27% on 3s) and certainly has that in common with Andre. Andre is as you say a much better passer and probably as good a defender as MKG.

The interview AJ gave to the Hartford Courant made it sound like he is leaning towards staying in the draft, but it's a gamble. Unless the Pacers assure him they will take him at 26 or 29, if nobody else does. If such an assurance was made, then he will not be back. If no such assurance was made, he should be back. I felt Andre Jackson was as important a glue guy as anyone UConn has had, including Niels Giffey on the 2011 and 2014 teams, and you throw in his leadership skills and you would love him to be back one more year to mentor the younger players UConn will have.

Reactions: Walker15
I talked to mu Uconn buddy Tuesday night. He played on the ‘11 team.

He thinks Jackson and Newton are both gone per his sources. Jackson because he’ll be drafted and Newton, because he’s ready to start making money. Even if it’s likely overseas.

I talked to mu Uconn buddy Tuesday night. He played on the ‘11 team.

He thinks Jackson and Newton are both gone per his sources. Jackson because he’ll be drafted and Newton, because he’s ready to start making money. Even if it’s likely overseas.
NIL deal ? aren't alot of them making more in college now than in the G or on Euro deals ? Or maybe he can pull an Alleyne and start dating Paige ( ain't she at $1 mil +)

• Haha
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Tristen scored 19 points and 10 rebounds as a starting guard in an NCAA championship game and that's got to be worth some NIL money in his own right. The Huskies Collective needs to step up like they did with Clingan.

As far as supplemental income, Paige Bueckers can be a Sugar Mama for any one player on the men's team. Azzi Fudd has some lucrative NIL deals as well. All Tristen needs to do is ask one of them out on a date like Alleyne did with Nika (who has no NIL money, but is a cute and funny woman as well as an excellent point guard). And there you go- 2 NIL income streams.

• Haha
He said it’s more than the NIL deal. And he may just not want to goto school anymore.

He said it’s more than the NIL deal.
Interesting....From what I heard in a podcast ( Dauster & Goodman I think) ....Alot of kids think college is more like playing in the pros in triple A now, with the NIL money and everything else they get. The G-or Europe is like being in double A.

Charter flights and 15,000 person arenas in the P-6 or playing in a glorified bus league in a bunch of HS gyms with a couple of thousand fans if that. He said that was going to be a big part of AJ's decision, hoping he was close to a late 1st where he'll have a chance to stick around in the actual "league/NBA". ( looks like he should in Andre's case) ...Instead of the G which is like a low major. So the question.....how pro is non-NBA pro..... compared to the BE ? .....( same reason Sanogo might be better off coming back in the portal, heard he had offers up to $750K on a transfer deal)

Last edited:
I kind of agree with Blades. Not sure Newton would get offered a lot of money overseas plus he would have to move and not see family or friends for months. Staying in college means NIL money. G league is probably even less money. On that note these high 6 figure NIL deals (Pack got one from Miami and I would suggest Newton could probably get Pack money while in college although maybe not UConn) are concerning me. Kids are now going to different schools via the portal for 3 main reasons (1) minutes opportunity; (2) step up in competition at higher tier school; (3) NIL money. In some cases it's all 3. It's no longer that kids go to a school because of the school but rather these other considerations.

Apart from possible NIL money the main reasons Newton should return to UConn would be: (1) absent AJ returning, return he will be named team Captain and have the opportunity to win 2 championships as a starting point guard or starting guard; (2) unlike AJ he is NOT getting drafted this year, and returning to UConn would present the best option for improving his basketball skills, which in fact developed and improved over the course of last season; and (3) he will have high visibility to pro scouts as he does so as UConn will play a super schedule against great teams and be on TV a lot.

Last edited:
and (3) he will have high visibility to pro scouts as he does so as UConn will play a super schedule against great teams and be on TV a lot.
That's another factor too, that's a big thing today...where's an athlete gonna build up his/her brand more in packed arenas on major TV networks.... or ???

Interesting....From what I heard in a podcast ( Dauster & Goodman I think) ....Alot of kids think college is more like playing in the pros in triple A now
Here's a recent story from SI that talks a little more on the same thing. Some player views on guaranteed NBA deals or returning to college, even has a Newton mention......so we will see

"UConn starting point guard Tristen Newton originally committed to the Huskies last spring anticipating spending only one year there after transferring in from East Carolina, but is now open to a return to school for his fifth year of eligibility.

“A school like UConn, I feel like that’s right under the pro level. We run our organization as pros, pro action. So it would more so be a guarantee [from an NBA team],” Newton says of his decision-making process. “I’m not going to jump in there just to say ‘I’m in the draft’. But the best case possible, if some team says they’ll get me, then we’ll see, talk to my family, talk to my agent and see what’s best for us."

Last edited:
One more tease yesterday from....the little roly poly guy ! ( he's also on that Dauster- Goodman podcast alot)

Last edited:
Nobody knows anything until the decision is made and there is something factual to know. Speculation is inevitable, but I think we all have to stay tuned and wait until May 31 which, by the way, is Wednesday. So he has 6 more days to think about it and change his mind from what he is thinking today. Tomorrow, he might change his mind again.

In the pic of Rosa, Azzi, D'Amelio, Clingan and DeBerry, Clingan looks really huge especially standing next to DeBerry.

Wow, even Joey California got into the act !
Yikes I didn't look at that photo carefully! But yeah it's Joey not Rosa, who would actually be a couple inches shorter than Azzi. Interesting that they have the 2 best 3 point shooters on each team posed standing next to each other. Joey, apart from already being in California, must like a party because there will be no NIL money for him next year with his eligibility done.

Yikes I didn't look at that photo carefully! But yeah it's Joey not Rosa, who would actually be a couple inches shorter than Azzi.
No Victor is in the next pick of the tweet, but he's taller than Azzi too. Especially the way they add sneaker heights to BB players like we saw with AJ ( 6-5 1/2) and Adama's (6-7 1/4) heights at the NBA combine.

Uconn football actually measures in NFL "eighth of an inch" barefoot measurements. So Rosa would be 6-0+ in BB units to Azzi who's probably no more than 5-10 barefoot.

He said it’s more than the NIL deal. And he may just not want to go to school anymore.
Alot of kids think college is more like playing in the pros in triple A now, with the NIL money and everything else they get....Charter flights and 15,000 person arenas in the P-6 or playing in a glorified bus league in a bunch of HS gyms with a couple of thousand fans if that. So the question.....how pro is non-NBA pro..... compared to the BE ? .....( same reason Sanogo might be better off coming back in the portal, heard he had offers up to $750K on a transfer deal)
Well Tristen decided he did want to go back to school....( and make money ?)......NIL deal in Storrs? But Adama ( one of the Uconn ATG's !) on the other hand.....(Next up- AJ we know...NBA....but we're waiting ;))

Last edited:
Not sure Newton would get offered a lot of money overseas plus he would have to move and not see family or friends for months. Staying in college means NIL money. G league is probably even less money.
Especially at Uconn.....

“Coming back to UConn is always an easy decision,”
Newton told media over Zoom Wednesday afternoon. “I got some good feedback, a couple teams guaranteed some things but I just felt like coming back to UConn playing another year and getting better – it’s like an NBA facility, an NBA program, so just here developing, playing one more year, trying to go win another national championship is just what’s best for me at this time."

Last edited:
  • Love
They need someone to replace Andre defensively and not sure who on the roster can do that. Hopefully the Core 3 of returning experienced players - Newton, Karaban, Clingan- can help the new kids play good team defense. One can hope that Clingan's shotblocking and closure of the lane will enable everyone else to be better guarding the perimeter, but hope isn't a recognized strategy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT