ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Fraud and Corruption Charges For NCAA Coaches, Apparel Company Reps

Seems like a bunch of teams..... but yeah this sounds like UL might have been involved..;) ( wonder if Enoch wants a "mulligan" ? ):

Last edited:
These are very serious charges and these coaches could end up doing time and never coaching anywhere again. The question will be, as in the Louisville prostitute scandal, whether the Captain of the ship knew what games his deckhands were playing below the deck. When I saw Auburn's asssistant named made me wonder about Bruce Pearl and the trail of unethical behavior he has blazed in the past.

I am glad the federal government is stepping in, in an area where the NCAA is not. It was the same thing that had to happen with organized crime back in the 1930s. The FBI should be all over these white collar criminals who are unlevelling the playing field in college sports. Let them go to jail if they did what they are accused of and set examples for others coming into the coaching profession that they gotta play by one set of rules.

Breaking news: BR is reporting that the player whose family got $100,000 from a company to secure his commitment to Louisville is 5 star recruit Brian Bowen. Bowen's family and Louisville have issued denials.

Update: Auburn just issued a statement saying it is "saddened, angry and disappointed." What exactly did they think they signed up for when they hired Pearl as coach, given his history? I have to say I can understand those emotions as to Chuck Person, but sounds like Chuck has some legal issues on his hands right now that are of a very significant nature.

Lot's of this going on around the web after the latest .... and not from Uconn fans....from ACC guys ( Uconn #16 to the ACC ?)

Last edited:
I told you guys to just wait and relax on conference realignment because things were not done shaking out and they still will not be done shaking out for another 5 years. This corruption probe is far from done and once those assistants start spilling beans to save their own asses from long jail sentences, additional heads will be rolling. It's the tip of the iceberg. Stay tuned boys.

Update: Auburn just issued a statement saying it is "saddened, angry and disappointed." What exactly did they think they signed up for when they hired Pearl as coach, given his history? I have to say I can understand those emotions as to Chuck Person, but sounds like Chuck has some legal issues on his hands right now that are of a very significant nature.

Here is a very detailed ESPN article on the FBI investigation and what it revealed. If this article is correct it sounds like there is a lot of wiretap evidence, against Person in particular, and we will likely be seeing plea deals from some of these defendants:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...50/the-story-how-fbi-brought-words-corruption

Shame on Person and Michel for doing business with a guy (Marty Blazer) who had all kinds of prior legal problems and was a first rate candidate to be a federal stoolie.

This article again reminds us that the investigation is ongoing and more coaches could end up being charged:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ly-extreme-pressure-big-name-coaches-programs

We are seeing this very threatening rhetoric coming out of the US Attorney's office and it is because they want to scare material witnesses into coming forward and cooperating voluntarily, rather than having to charge them in order to induce cooperation.

Another article yesterday from the " WISHFUL THINKING Dept. "....... this one from a Virginia newspaper:

"The ACC should also reverse the mistake it made in 2014, kick Louisville to the curb and invite UConn to replace the Cardinals. Yes, it would be messy. And no, UConn football isn’t very good, though it surely would improve in the ACC. It would be a painful divorce, but doing the right thing often involves pain. "

Last edited:
I don't know who the ineligible recruits will be but I assume those who were recruited by the 4 schools whose coaches were criminally charged? We know Bowen is suspended already, which I don't feel badly about because exactly what logic tells a supposedly amateur player it's okay to accept $100,000?

As far as Louisville being booted out of the ACC, in favor of UConn, I think that's a pipe dream because there isn't any dirt on their football team....so far anyway.

I don't know who the ineligible recruits will be but I assume those who were recruited by the 4 schools whose coaches were criminally charged? We know Bowen is suspended already, which I don't feel badly about because exactly what logic tells a supposedly amateur player it's okay to accept $100,000?

As far as Louisville being booted out of the ACC, in favor of UConn, I think that's a pipe dream because there isn't any dirt on their football team....so far anyway.
Very True...." For once, Louisville football Coach Bobby Petrino is not the most nefarious person in his university's athletic department. Petrino was busted at Arkansas
for adultery and lying to his bosses after the motorcycle accident. He showed up to a news conference in a neck brace before everyone found out his mistress was on the back of his chopper. He is to college football at Louisville what Rick Pitino is to college basketball at Louisville, and none of that is meant as a compliment. "
SECOND THOUGHTS: Louisville's dirt cleans up Bobby Petrino a bit

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Louisville has suspended two assistant coaches and Dave Padgett is now working without a staff:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ng-assistant-basketball-coaches-on-leave/amp/

I kind of feel sorry for Dave Padgett as there are dark storm clouds circling over this program and it's quite possible Louisville will be banned from the NCAA tourney this year and maybe beyond. I do not feel sorry for the program at all, but Padgett seems like a hard working good attitude guy and to have to start a head coaching career like this is not what you want. They seem like a lame duck team to me.......

Wow.... Rick is the gift that keeps on giving......... like I added about Pitino in this thread about a month before the latest FBI stuff:
thread started in 2016 : Louisville imposing postseason ban
"I don't think it's hard to say anything except that some of us were way ahead of the curve in this thread and on the NCAA's decision. It also shows that some things just can't be swept under the rug, even for a P-5 or a phony who plays dumb, like Pitino, who was benefiting from a prostitution service, run in his own dorms for a bunch of minors that were supposed to be on his watch, while his staff was handing them loads of ca$h to play with. "
Article: Rick Pitino's defiance is making things worse for Louisville

and also in 2016 when I called out Pitino's modus operandi :

First he denies: "I can't find one person, not one, that knew anything about it," a visibly angry Pitino said in January......
then:
" Pitino portrayed himself as a victim "

BUT.....the big question is how will this play out for Louisville because they were already on probation and Pitino gets caught in the middle of this thing only a month later............ N.C.A.A. Places Louisville on Probation and Suspends Pitino..June 2017

Last edited:
I cringed when I read Pitino’s defiant denials. His attorneys should have told him to shut his mouth and let things play out. I had a feeling that something like this was coming.

Time to get this thread back on track with a new morsel following the latest revaluation after Sean Miller and the rest have been exposed.... even more.
I'm sure it will start looking like an NCAA and P-5 cover-up....... or the P-5 will probably break off completely, grab all the money and start their new members only club ...but now they have the attention of someone else:

Last edited:
Arizona Regents Meet to Discuss Miller Contract:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ts-calls-meeting-discuss-sean-miller-contract

This is a situation where even though Miller has not yet been criminally charged and may not be guilty, the damage has already been done with Shareef O'Neal decommitting, other recruits considering the same, and a cloud hanging over the program.

He is one of many hot potato coaches, although he is the only one we know that is really cooked to a very high heat right now.

Those latest charges would lead you to believe that from the standpoint of the feds, the coaching staffs were kept in the dark/out of the loop, perhaps because Adidas believed they could mess things up. I have a feeling that the way Sean Miller got sucked into this is that something got back to him as far as third party bribery to guys he was recruiting and he made phone calls insisting that the money source contact him not so he could get paid, but so that he could stop it. I similarly see Bill Self shutting this down if he knew about it.

IMHO the one and done rule by the NCAA, which is a feeble minded attempt at racial control, is responsible for all of these shenanigans being committed.

IMHO the one and done rule by the NCAA, which is a feeble minded attempt at racial control, is responsible for all of these shenanigans being committed.

I thought it was the NBA's rule who forced kids to wait a year ? .... Remember when Lebron was allowed to go strait out of HS ? And the kids don't have to play in college, remember when we "lost" Brandon Jennings to Arizona( thank you, we got Kemba) and he opted instead to go to Europe ?

I think the NCAA dictated the rule to the NBA and Adam Silver now wants to revoke it because the NBA now has a system in place to develop young talent akin to minor leagues in baseball. This was negotiated out a while ago because the NCAA wanted to keep some talent from going pro and the NBA wanted to see the kids develop for a year not under their watch. Now the NBA has the system in place to develop kids that need to be developed.

LeBron never needed any development he was an NBA ready kid. LeBron is very arguably the best all around player in NBA history IMHO. He is an unbelievable 2 way talent. And smart. He is a once in 3 generations type player. Him and Kobe are rare NBA ready at 18 years old players. You see a player like that maybe every 10 years.

Last edited:
I think the NCAA dictated the rule to the NBA and Adam Silver now wants to revoke it because the NBA now has a system in place to develop young talent akin to minor leagues in baseball. This was negotiated out a while ago because the NCAA wanted to keep some talent from going pro and the NBA wanted to see the kids develop for a year not under their watch. Now the NBA has the system in place to develop kids that need to be developed.

I really wasn't asking.... Anyone who knows the NBA draft rules history knows this has zero to do with the NCAA . It was first decided in the Spencer Haywood hardship case years ago. Starting with guys like Darryl Dawkins and later Garnett, Kobe, and 40+ more kids who have all come strait out of HS. Then the current rule was negotiated by David Stern and the NBA players association. The NCAA had no say in this and " Contrary to popular belief, the player does not have to play at least a year in college basketball " ...............The NBA wanted the rule because by not having to draft younger players they lower the risk by waiting a year later to see how they develop. But since a player had a right to go strait out of HS ...and it was already decided in the US Supreme court .....the NBA had to work out implementing a new age limit with the NBPA.

Who knows what tweeks will be made to the age rule..... but what the NBA would hate is the baseball model, because kids can get drafted twice. This give the kids negotiating leverage out of HS when they are picked. It's why 18 year olds get huge contracts with the team that selects them, even while playing in the minors. If their selecting MLB team doesn't talk them into signing, they get redrafted 3 years later. So the original drafting MLB team loses control rights of that player....

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
Well here's the NCAA at it again, looking to cover their ass and make theirself look good. Bottom line is when to many of the P-5 money making programs have violated every rule in the book....like in the case(s) above.... and there is no way to sweep everything thing under the rug for them( can anyone say UNC's grades), because the FBI is involved.... The NCAA ( ie. the money schools, P-5's, Ol boys network) does what it always does. Changes the rules to try and whitewash everything and get back to doing business as usual. I guess they figured that punishing Cleveland St., UNLV, Alaska, Uconn or SMU wasn't going to work this time, LOL !
For our reading pleasure:

NY Post- NCAA apparently failed to inform NBA, USA Basketball of rule changes

ESPN- New NCAA rules are more cosmetic than they are consequential

SBNation- The NCAA’s new college basketball rule changes don’t fix anything

Last edited:
Back to the action:
"The college basketball season is a few weeks away, but talk of “Sneaker Wars” began to heat up Tuesday in a wood-paneled courtroom......Arizona and Oregon, both Nike and Pac-12 schools, were mentioned prominently....Defense attorneys told Judge Lewis A. Kaplan and the jury that Arizona and Oregon were willing to pay for recruits who were also being sought by the Adidas schools..."

Reactions: anon_65nwv98c2idwc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT