ADVERTISEMENT

ECU - Uconn down to one PG or maybe not

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Looks like it could be Tarin Smith backed up by Brendan Adams even for the AAC tourney

If UConn has to go with Smith at PG, I don't know if anyone else has noticed what a terrible finisher he is going to the basket when there is any kind of contact, or defensive impediment to his move or shot. If he has a clear lane to the hole he is fine, but you throw any kind of contact or obstruction in his path and he can't adjust and finish. He also is not a good 3 point shooter. So defenses do not really need to worry about him. They can leave him open and if he drives, as long as someone rotates somewhere near his path just enough to cause him to have to maneuver his move or shot, he will not finish the move.

" in the fact that they have beaten the Pirates already this season without any help from both players On Feb. 3 in Hartford, Gilbert was sitting out his second of five straight games after re-injuring his surgically-repaired left shoulder a week earlier. Adams was healthy, but after a scoreless first half, he and Hurley got in a brief spat on the sidelines two minutes into the latter half, and the senior guard never re-entered the game. UConn led by six when Adams left the game and wound up winning by 24."

If UConn has to go with Smith at PG, I don't know if anyone else has noticed what a terrible finisher he is going to the basket when there is any kind of contact, or defensive impediment to his move or shot. If he has a clear lane to the hole he is fine, but you throw any kind of contact or obstruction in his path and he can't adjust and finish. He also is not a good 3 point shooter. So defenses do not really need to worry about him. They can leave him open and if he drives, as long as someone rotates somewhere near his path just enough to cause him to have to maneuver his move or shot, he will not finish the move.
NO worse than AG's 2-10 on FG's last game or the 1-8 on 3's, Gilbert has been terrible since he came back. ( 5-32 on 3's @ 15%) Plus AG was 0-6 on 3's in 2 other games but the kid still keeps jackin' them up, What exactly has he done good ?

Last edited:
Jalen has been a nice surprise today. Finish this W today and a little momentum for the tourney.

Jalen is seeing the court really well and finding open teammates. 8 assists for Jalen and the UConn halfcourt offense is clicking. And Carlton has grabbed some impressive rebounds. He has really improved the second half of this season.

Honestly that was the best game Jalen played all year. He was unselfish and made consistent good decisions and found the open guy and the correct guy to get the ball to. I realize they beat a bad team but it was their only road win this year and they played good ball. UConn deserves this win. The way Jalen is playing it’s too bad they didn’t have him healthy and playing point guard the whole year. The offense looks so much better with him handling the ball and making the ball dustribution decisions.

There also seemed to be better spacing today. Carlton is helping with this by being a threat inside and requiring double teams. Carlton was jammed up by ECU the whole game with big bodies but he still found ways to get boards and score and maintain a threat in the post. It makes a big difference. We have to thank Ollie for finding Carlton because he is a legit 4 year quality big man. He is better than Brimah and Facey and Phil Nolan. He is also better than Enoch especially considering his 2 way abilities but I think Enoch is going to make an NBA team.

First off, Uconn loses this game with AG playing, he should learn something by watching Jalen. Take what the D gives you, don't keep jacking shots up when you can't hit them and stop using your cross-over to get swallowed up by the D with nowhere to go. And find your team mates where they can do something with the ball. . AG would of been 4-15, 0-7 on 3's with 2 assist and 4 TO's in a game like this. It's called BB IQ and I know it's not popular to call the kid out seeing that he was a McD AA and all, but you either have it or you don't. The good ones have to have it 3 years into CBB, injuries or not.

2nd I don't credit KO for Carlton. I credit Sal and Kenya Hunter for the work they did with him. If KO and his staff proved anything it's they did nothing to improve a big on this team...ever. ...... But it was nice to actually see a team with leadership again who knows how to run an offense, even if it's vs. ECU and to little to late.

Boxscore

Oh...... PS they finally won a road game....

Last edited:
Reactions: UconNell
Carlton has developed nicely this year. However he did start to show a lot of potential and production at the end of last year. It was wise of Hurley and his staff to invest in him. He looked like the best of all the freshman on the team. My issue with Carlton was I didn’t think he was much of an athlete, just looking at him. However that was last year and now I think he is plenty athletic enough to get the job done including shot blocking. But it was Ollie who brought him into the program and he must be thanked for that, even if he didn’t develop his bigs into anything more than glorified mannequins. Carlton has certainly been unleashed from mannequin status to fledgling beast status.

No. 9 UConn (15-16, 6-12 American) suffered through an injury-plagued season but got a huge boost in the return of Jalen Adams, who dished out 12 assists against ECU Sunday to become just the fourth American player to reach 500 career dimes. With the Huskies' regular-season finale victory against the Pirates, UConn will take on No. 8 USF in the tip-off game of the tournament on Thursday, March 14 at 1 p.m. ET/noon CT......

2nd I don't credit KO for Carlton. I credit Sal and Kenya Hunter for the work they did with him. If KO and his staff proved anything it's they did nothing to improve a big on this team...ever.

“Big help,” Carlton said. “Every day in practice, working with the bigs, emphasizing things that help me in the game. It’s been a big help having him.” Hunter was an assistant at Georgetown, where he helped develop big men Roy Hibbert, Greg Monroe and Otto Porter, among others

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT