ADVERTISEMENT

Dan's calling out critical fans........

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
I am sure you have seen the reports of DH calling out critical fans on social media on AG. He made claims that fans didnt know much about Basketball.......seemed really fragile and he needs to be careful.

At first I was ok as it was just him defending his player but I think he needs to grow a pair. Now I am not sure what he was referring to, maybe there were some really personal hateful things said to AG but I didnt see anything that was out of line at all.

So barring a physcho attack I think DH is referring to 99% of the UConn fandom that saw AG, Vital, Carlton, Whaley make some criticially bad plays against Xavier that caused the loss. To be frank, including me, I was most critical of DH not having a handle on those 4 and letting AG take bad shot after bad shot.

So if DH is attacking fans for only on seeing and rightfully commenting that AG was terrible in every clutch moment and for most os this year he needs to sit back and realize he works for us and if we arent happy he wont last long in the BE and with UConn fans.

What I did find interesting is that Vital and Carlton got it just as bad and he didnt one to their defense.....telling or maybe there was really a bad tweet he was referring to.

Just so you know Dom , we covered this all in the Uconn vs. Miami thread but.....according TOS, it sounds like people were directly tweeting Gilbert or on his instagram and calling him trash,etc . Or on the official UConn Bball account & Hurleys twitter...I don't think FAN message boards are in their loop of reading and if they are they shouldn't be.

Although it sounds like this was over the top and uncalled for behavior, I really think pro and college athletes need to tune out social media. Social media has been a huge problem in the NFL and more recently the NBA. In the NFL too many athletes pay attention to outside noise and allow it to distract them and post things that just become s media distraction for their team. In the NBA, a political comment on Twitter by Daryl Morey, GM of the Rockets, has cost the NBA billions of dollars. College kids have to be monitored even more carefully, because many don’t have the maturity to intelligently articulate non offensive thoughts or handle online words posted by others.

I do like that Danny Hurley stuck up for his player, but if it’s an issue with the team, he needs to tell them to tune it out.

Dan overstepped if you ask me. Again, not sure what set him off as I am sure there was a comment or two that was an attack on AG but you got to let that go.

To me I think DH knows that most of what was said about AG, CV and Carlton was spot on. Those three are just the old guard and it shows each and every game.

AG, CAN get better and by in which it looks like he heading towards by the looks of the last couple games which would be AWESOME. He needs to Dish and D.....maybe a shot here and there.

I still think DH left out CV in his defense and CV was getting it just as bad as AG was on Twitter.

Dan overstepped if you ask me. Again, not sure what set him off as I am sure there was a comment or two that was an attack on AG but you got to let that go.

To me I think DH knows that most of what was said about AG, CV and Carlton was spot on. Those three are just the old guard and it shows each and every game.

...like I said in the other thread, I get DH trying to take the heat for his guys, that's what good coaches do. It's just the opposite of Edsall who runs FB players off his team and then throws his other leftover players under the bus to cover his ass for being a loser.....

But I agree, DH knows damn well that bad shot selection, especially from Gilbert ( at 21% FG/ 19% on 3's) has been killing the team in loses. He's talked about (bad) shot selection way to many times and those 2 cutting down attempts, not to know... So like last game if AG passes more( 7ast) and shoots less (5 FGA) then it seems like CV does too, and they all share the ball better. It's a plus overall for the team and I'm glad it was called out. Hopefully better shot selection continues..

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominicfrank
Well Dan better be ready for the heat if we keep this trash up against Maine. We were told DH was an energy guy and that his teams would be energy all the time. 80% of that first half was complete GARBAGE and its all on him. As the head coach you simply can not let your heavily favored team lay an egg. Al seems to be having the right kind of game, Vital is terrible, Carlton is embarassing, Bouk needs the ball on every trip down the court, Adams is energy but kid is wild and needs to calm down, TP needs to spot up ONLY, Whaley needs to stay seated and never shoot, Akok needs the ball down low over SOFTY Carlton.

Well Dan better be ready for the heat if we keep this trash up against Maine. We were told DH was an energy guy and that his teams would be energy all the time. 80% of that first half was complete GARBAGE and its all on him. As the head coach you simply can not let your heavily favored team lay an egg. Al seems to be having the right kind of game, Vital is terrible, Carlton is embarassing, Bouk needs the ball on every trip down the court, Adams is energy but kid is wild and needs to calm down, TP needs to spot up ONLY, Whaley needs to stay seated and never shoot, Akok needs the ball down low over SOFTY Carlton.
No offense, but you have to be the most negative person I've come across. Are you like this in your personal life also?

Last edited:
No offense taken actually and I appreciate the question.

I think you are just reading frustration and around UConn basketball there has been so much lately.

Sports are interesting......I played all sports growing up and two at the college level. I loved everty aspect and the positions I played were the ones that coached on the field. I was very close with the basketball and football teams having always felt like coaching but in the end......not enough money in it for my taste so I never went all the way. So.......I get into my teams from a different view than just a fan who just loves UConn. I want to see little things like energy, effort, heart, pride, etc.....and if that leads to winning GREAT.

Not sure if you really wanted an answer but I do appreciate the question and no I am not as critical in anything but sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT