ADVERTISEMENT

2019 C Rick Issanza on campus for an official visit

Looks very limited on skill set and a project, I see his prep school lists him 7-1/240lbs...so is he Tacko Fall lite ?

rick%20issanza_0.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe someone Kenya Hunter can improve, while they get a few back-up minutes for Josh...from March 2018:

Rick Issanza – Bella Vista Prep (AZ) – Class of 2019 – Center
"At 7’1″, Rick Issanza obviously has the size to catch the eye of opposing teams. Only playing basketball for two years, he’s been a project for the Bella Vista staff that is clearly paying off after his performance at The Grind Session World Championship. In two games at the World Championship, he recorded 18 points and 13 rebounds, with 13 of his 18 points coming in game one. He was able to score the ball off offensive rebounds and alley-oops over smaller defenders, showing to have good hands for his size. With improvement on his footwork and low-post offense, Issanza could be one of the most highly sought after prospects at his position next season. Defensively, he blocked four shots in two games, utilizing his length to be a rim protector, and grabbed the bulk of his rebounds on that side of the ball. "

New highlights, released May 15th....looks much more promising, and goes up alot stronger in these, definitely someone Kenya Hunter ( and Sal Alosi ) could work with.

Last edited:
Haven't seen anything on big Rick since they said he was close to deciding on the 15th. The last thing he posted on his own twitter acct., was the one above with NC trophy from his Uconn visit ........even though he visited Oklahoma about a week after Uconn. I'd take him over another year of Mamadou and his injuries in a minute. And though there's been alot of rumors about another scholly opening up for Hurley, we'll probably know for sure, once Issanza announces his decision.

Last edited:
At this time a body is needed up front, even if that is all Issanza ends up being. I don’t really see him as the type of big that UConn needs, but at this point UConn would have to take him. He hopefully should realize he has a real chance for significant playing time when the inevitable foul trouble happens to Carlton and Akok against big, physical teams. It will happen and someone will have to come in and be a body. Even if it’s to give 5 fouls, we have nobody else to give them. Asking Whaley to play the 5 is really not what you want. Diarra seems to have the knees of an 80 year old man.

Reactions: the Blades
At this time a body is needed up front, even if that is all Issanza ends up being. I don’t really see him as the type of big that UConn needs, but at this point UConn would have to take him. He hopefully should realize he has a real chance for significant playing time when the inevitable foul trouble happens to Carlton and Akok against big, physical teams. It will happen and someone will have to come in and be a body. Even if it’s to give 5 fouls, we have nobody else to give them. Asking Whaley to play the 5 is really not what you want.
Well surprisingly they're still recruiting for 2019...read the other thread >>>Uconn MIGHT NOT be done with roster....and what DH said tonight about Whaley

Last edited:
I did read the other thread so no need to link it- to me that comment by Hurley was doublespeak. If he thought more of Whaley he would have played him more. There were many times when he could have subbed Whaley and didn’t. Whaley did play OK in a few games he got into, but he also represents not the ideal backup big. They would make do with him as the backup 5 if they had to, but they probably don’t want to. It’s not what you want.

I agree with everything you wrote tonight. I'm just trying to figure out WTF is going on with DH and next years roster, like we all have for weeks. At least we're hearing something now from the beat writers since they attended the 1st Coaches Road Show. I'll be at the Hartford stop on Thursday. If I didn't think it was out of line, I'd probably ask him myself. As far as only Whaley being it up front, I also agree 100% you have to have more than him...and if I recall Whaley spent alot of last year at less than 100% with a high ankle sprain.

But if Borges 1st tweet is true, DH is still recruiting for 2019, it means a scholly WILL open up. Then true, it sounds like double talk, recruiting double talk. Reading between the lines maybe it's one of these 7-0 ft'ers or he's talking about Joel Ntambwe, who might still be in play. Then this would make sense when DH was quoted about a back-up center or " continuing to add type of quality that’s gonna lead to championships"...... Haven't heard anything lately on him or if he's taken his name out of the draft ....May 29th is the last day to withdraw

Well I guess Husky fans showed Rick to much love the past few days and created to much noise:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT