ADVERTISEMENT

#1 UConn vs. #2 Stanford

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Possible game of the year in women's college basketball, neutral court in Ohio, the top two teams in the Sports Illustrated Top 10., Sunday, 1:30 pm, ESPN. Stanford has one of the best frontcourts in the country, but UConn has more than enough horses to match up. Sports Illustrated is picking UConn to go undefeated, which is a strong possibility, and this game might be one of the very few losable games on the schedule.

BTW- UConn Field Hockey Girls are 19-0, #1 in nation and in seed in NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Unfortunately #5 Ohio State hammering Stanford 85-64 Friday night has taken some of the luster out of this game.

Shaggy to answer your question UConn plays a sick OOC schedule. After today vs. Stanford they play #20 Cal at home, #15 Maryland, at home, then at #8 UCLA and then Michigan State in the Oregon Tournament. After a game at Nevada, UConn plays #6 ND at home and then travels to #25 DePaul in back to back games. UConn then plays # 22 Oklahoma at home. There are January games against ESPN #2 Texas on the road, and then early February at #4 South Carolina and home vs. #9 Louisville. They also play #23 USF in Conference.

This is by far the most difficult nonconference schedule UConn has ever played. OSU is not on it, but virtually every other game is against a top 25 opponent with almost no cupcakes except the in Conference weaklings.

After today, the games against UCLA, ND, Texas, and South Carolina are UConn’s most dangerous as far as possible losses.

Last edited:
Blades,

ESPN had Stanford as #10, Sports Illsutrated has them #2 as I mentioned above. ESPN has Texas #2. UConn also plays Texas, and #4 South Carolina.

The point was after reading both polls and the reasoning of both I felt SI was a better indicator but now with the Ohio State beatdown of Stanford I think SI underestimated the degree to which Stanford’s inexperience would be an issue. Traditionally Stanford, an extremely well coached team, has been a difficult opponent for UConn in early season games. Stanford was the team to have ended both of UConn’s long winning streaks and a few years ago did so in an early season game. For all these reasons I put a greater stock in what SI was saying and now that they sustained a beatdown it doesn’t look as good but come end of the season they may be a more dangerous opponent than Texas and wouldn’t bet against that.

But to your other point, that I think you were making is... I agree.... Geno seems to put together the toughest OOC schedule in the country.. year after year. .. Which he has to, because he plays in the AAC...so......" I know how he rolls"

Last edited:
I think the only reason Ohio State isn’t on the schedule (they were in past years) is that the coach was a good friend of Geno’s who was fired back in 2013. We see teams like Maryland, Stanford, ND and UCLA always willing to play UConn for many years now. There are a few teams that duck UConn like Tennessee and Duke. But Tennessee and Duke are not quite as strong as in past years. Both of these teams had hurt feelings for losing recruits and transfers to UConn. With Duke it goes back to Brittany Hunter who was #1 player in nation who transferred out of Duke after they mismanaged her injuries and she was allowed to publicly hammer Duke and Geno also made some statements that playfully mocked Duke, nothing serious but Duke snobbery was offended.

With UT it goes back to Pat Summitt being a sore loser from losing Maya Moore as a recruit. It was a very intense recruiting war and UT lost it.

I say to both of those programs tough shooshkums and move on, you lose by not playing UConn and maybe that is why your programs are not as good as they were 10
years ago.

GREAT start by Dangerfield! She looks like a different player from the inconsistent and often tentative freshman we saw last year.

Samuelson can turn the corner on defenders but she still needs to finish better. Needs to get stronger. That baseline drive should have been an and one.

Azura Stevens has amazing body control and balance for a 6’6” player- looks very smooth running the court!!!

19 for Samuelson and 15 for Dangerfield at the half. With regard to Samuelson, as I mentioned last year, she is the most offensively talented player on the team and one of the most offensively talented frontcourt players UConn has ever had. She has the outside shot and the drives and the creativity. If she was stronger and played on any other team, she could score 35-40 ppg. On this team, she will easily score 20 per game or more but she does need to improve her ability to take contact on her drives, that is her only weakness at this point.

Dangerfield looks absolutely fantastic. She was very erratic shooting the ball last year and Stanford conceded her 3 point shots. She keeps shooting like this and it will really open up the floor for her to do heavy damage. She can get anywhere she wants to on the floor at any time with her handle and burst, and she can make any pass that needs to be made.

Possible game of the year in women's college basketball, neutral court in Ohio, the top two teams in the Sports Illustrated Top 10.
Don't believe the SI hype, possibly the game of the year ??? .....Stanford better turn it around soon or the rest of WCBB is in big trouble !!!

PS: there is a mens game of interest on TV....#23 Seton Hall is spanking a Uconn Dec. opponent... Monmouth... on ... FOX1

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
Collier with a miss state hangover. Luckily we have Azura this year. Wait until Kia starts knocking down shots.

Scary!

Collier has looked a little out of sorts. However when she picked up her 4th foul Stevens came in. Last year UConn was in trouble whenever Collier was in foul trouble because the bench was a big drop off. Now Geno needs to develop the rest of this bench.

Stanford has actually been better second half but UConn let up on the defensive intensity. This is a game that should have been a 40 point win. I don’t like the taking of the foot off the gas pedal. I saw it happen last year too but more understandable last year because the bench sucked. This team shouldn’t be letting up.

Why hasn't B. Camara been playing. Can't find anything about her being hurt or in the doghouse

We definitely took the foot off the gas and 12 points out of Kia and Collier and 40% shooting is an aberration. They'll get close to 30 a night from those two and be over 50% most nights.

The bench is basically mostly frosh, it will take time to develop.

I saw mostly good things from UConn but the rebounding and intensity in the second half could have been better. Stevens looks like she wants to play more on the perimeter than the coaching staff wants and needs. She looks like she could be a good rim protector and basically Collier was it in that department last year and is a tad undersized to be playing 5. So the depth is most definitely there and will be even better when Camara is healthy.

Im with you Shakes, could have been better. The second half was dull and we missed a TON of shots and rebounds. Looks like my biggest concern will be how to all of these players play as one. we have to starting 5's but can they all get their shots?

Collier, Williams, Lou, Danger and Nurse could be all be the main guy but who is the leader? We lost last year because we had not one person lead other than Geno. Now IF one game could answer that question it was EASILY Danger, she looked possessed and if she played like that against Tulane and Mississippi State we are defending champs.

Dominick,

One of the great things about this team is having extremely talented veteran players like Stevens and Camara coming off the bench. We haven’t seen Camara yet but Stevens, Walker, and Camara will be the 6-8 players in this team’s rotation. All 3 of those girls are starters on any other team in the nation bar none. I was immensely impressed watching Stevens yesterday. She runs the court, has amazing body control and balance for a 6’6” player and is highly skilled. They need her to play like a traditional low post player and not facing the basket. Looks like she has a sweet bank shot and should be able to hit turnaround jumpers over anyone. I think she will eventually start meaning Collier moves to power forward some against bigger teams. This team is really loaded and apportionment of minutes between Stevens, Collier, Williams and Camara is going to be a problem. If Williams could shoot a little better they could play her at guard. However Nurse-Dangerfield is an awesome 2 point guard backcourt and with Walker coming off the bench as a third guard UConn has very good depth there. Geno will have to figure it out but none of these girls will have to play heavy minutes like last year and Collier foul trouble will not be causing panic like last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT