ADVERTISEMENT

Why the top recruits don't come here

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
I used to think it was the competition for playing time but that IS FAR from being a concern with this bunch. Any 4 or 5 that is highly ranked would be guaranteed all the minutes. We must not be that great a place to go to school, geographic issues ?

If I were a stud Bball kid I would pick UK over this as well. Depressing.

From Amore article in today's Courant:

Recruiting
There is always something other schools can use against you in the recruiting game, and for UConn, which has
overcome the coaching transition and postseason ineligibility to win a title, the big current headache is the conference.
High school players rarely know much about tradition, or what you've done in the recent past. It makes the most sense
to them to think about what kind of program they will be with the next one, two, three or four years. Common sense If
the American Athletic Conference does become just a two-bid league, it will certainly be a detriment to recruiting.

The challenge for UConn is to buy itself time by capitalizing on its latest championship with a strong recruiting haul from
the classes of 2015 and 2016. Jalen Adams and Steve Enoch were a good start, but Diamond Stone's choice, which will
come in the spring, will be very important for UConn's near future. If they get him alone, it's a great class. They'll be in on
other elite kids this spring, too. UConn needs some success here in '15.

UConn Men's Insider: RPI, Recruiting Are 2015 Challenges and Realignment
This post was edited on 1/1 9:23 PM by the Blades

All right now that we've read Amore's latest recruiting angle and what can be used against Uconn.......
I don't get the title of this thread ???? 4-5 star BB recruits don't come to Uconn ...WTF are you talking about ????
Uconn's always got their fair share of 4's and 5's. In the last 5 recruiting classes there are five 5 STAR and four 4 STAR.....before in the Big East... Uconn in a 5 year span got commits from five 5 STAR and nine 4 STAR's.....
Uconn Commitment List

So recruiting to the best BB conference in America was a nice angle until every power school left and the whole thing
imploded..then Calhoun's health and the post season ban was used against them....now the power 5 thing breakaway vs. a
weak AAC can cause some negative juice. Ultimately if Uconn can get a P-5 invite it changes the whole game permanently
to help the recruiting in BB and FB. Without being in a P-5, coaches will always try to play that angle against the school,
despite Uconn being the best of the blueblood hoops schools with 4 NC's in 15 years !

But nobody's Kentucky, they get the best players that money can buy because they have the best pay
for play scheme going. Calipari and WWW, who've both worked with Creative Arts Agency, keep just enough
grey in the area that can pledge perceived or real outside endorsements to the recruits, and with what Wes can
do for them legally because he has no Alum or donor ties to UK.

It just is what it is and most colleges coaches accept it, despite some of their comments on Cal and WWW:

"He's an agent who cheats. He's a bag man."

"Some people think he helps Cal with every kid, but I don't think that's true. He's involved. He has influence.

He uses it. So he's a factor. But he's probably not a big factor with every kid ... at least I don't think he is."

"I think he's a factor. He has unlimited access to kids and coaches -- and clearly makes it no secret of his

allegiance to John Calipari."

"We have all become so sensitive to just him. There are more just like him, he just gets all of the attention."How much of a factor is 'World Wide' Wes in recruiting?
This post was edited on 1/2 9:04 AM by the Blades

No Dom... Since 2009 UCONN has been in a BS ncaa mess whether it's APR crap or former mgr turned agent fiasco extra phone calls which are legal now go figure lol. This all equates to having to get kids who will come a la Nolan Olanders etc.... Yea this class 2015 should be a really good class which so far it is good but yes we need to add Diamond Stone and others like a Tyler Dorsey.... We can but as Blades said from the Amore article conference is used and always will be against UCONN among other bs negative recruiting tactics, not to mention CTs own BSpn goes out of there way to highlight programs like UK KU Puke UNC Cuse etc... And craps on there in state power that was built up from nothing and recruits will pick what they see on tv and think they know more of. Add to that a new coach in KO and the previous ncaa stuff we can't play like the big time cheats do. Ncaa with their evil eye watches a program like UCONN more than obviously a UNC and many many others.

Clear example I had at least 2 different players that were 5th year guys lined up to come here... Yet they can't get through admissions BUT they can at Wake Forest and a private university like SMU... Lolol how????? Those schools have the same or better academics than UCONN. So this is another thing we have to deal with that others don't.

Add all this up and that is why it is tougher to recruit the "big time" kids to come here consistently. We will get our share of hungry chip on the shoulder good players who develop into great ones so I don't worry too much and our 4 chips in 15 years and all the other successes prove that.

However the women's recruiting has not been impacted at all. They are pulling down all the great recruits in sight and there has been no slowing down. It's the program that is doing the recruiting. And I note that the AAC on the women's side is even weaker- a bunch of cupcakes that UConn will beat by 50 like they did to East Carolina the other day.

KSTW.... You can't compare women's game to the men's. The men's is a wayyyyy more money maker and bigger.... so women's in the big picture of things is irrelevant.

Women's game only has about 4-5 programs that are good much much easier to recruit a la UCLA in the men's game 50-60 years ago when there was not that many to compete so they got all the best players.

Originally posted by Ozzie3178:
KSTW.... You can't compare women's game to the men's. The men's is a wayyyyy more money maker and bigger.... so women's in the big picture of things is irrelevant.

Women's game only has about 4-5 programs that are good much much easier to recruit a la UCLA in the men's game 50-60 years ago when there was not that many to compete so they got all the best players.
+1, no comparison to the women's game, best they get is a relationship with Geno to play in the
olympics and winning ! ...no one and done's...no big money agents snoopin' around, corruption because
of billions in TV money..... the other thing that women get from going to Uconn or any school is the free
education, that's why they all stay 4 years.

As you mentioned Ozzie....Uconn has been demoted from the BCS and slandered by the NCCA for rules that
don't even apply anymore. All while the NCAA votes to let the p-65 throw money around and make a joke
of every rule imaginable like it's the wild west. The most truthful guy I've heard regarding all of this NCAA
BS is this clip :

Video----Charles Barkley On Paying Auburn Recruits: "I Would Do It"

He's just saying the truth about the total farce going at the NCAA and with a bunch of P-5's. And he really hates
what's going on at UNC, with Roy Williams and calls him out Problem is Auburn is in the club and Uconn isn't .
And who are the NCAA police anyway ??? They're a bunch of P-5 hires to police all the schools, but really it's protect
the P-5 money or you'll be out of a job. Unfortunately like Ozzie said Uconn has to have squeeky clean academics
and recruiting practices now because they'll get the death penalty or never get out of the AAC if they don't, while the
rest of the P-5 can run around like a bunch of Outlaws.
This post was edited on 1/6 7:37 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT