ADVERTISEMENT

Who's in your UConn women All-time Starting Five?

I can't argue with Dom's starting 5 but I would put Taurasi at SG and Maya Moore at SF. Maya played forward and Taurasi was a guard. At the time that Bird and Taurasi were starting at guard I told my uncle it's the best starting backcourt in the history of women's basketball and I think it's still the case. In addition to winning an NCAA championship at UConn Bird and Taurasi won a pro championship in Russia together starting together in the backcourt. Both were smart, tough and supremely talented players.

PG-Bird
SG-Taurasi
SF-Maya Moore
PF-Stewart
C-Lobo

That's pretty ridiculous.

Sorry, Lobo was iconic but Tina was better. I like Lobo personally better but not as a player.

Tina Charles is currently 3rd on the all time career points list at UConn and Lobo is 9th. Charles is 1st on the career rebounds list and Lobo is 3rd. So to name Lobo over Charles is disrespectful at a minimum. Charles also won 2 championships to 1 for Lobo.

You cant go wrong with either Tina Charles or Rebecca Lobo.

That starting 5 is absurd with whomever. Probably the best starting 5 of any collegiate basketball team mens or womens.

PG..Taurasi....15.0 pts/ all-time asst leader (648)
W...N. Sales...15.9 pts/ all-time steals leader(447)
C... Lobo........16.9 pts/ 10.1 Rebs / all-time blocks leader (396)..( only 4 year player to ave. a double/double)
F.....Stewart....17.0 pts/ 5th in blocks (288) ( 3yr stats)
SF.. Moore......19.7 pts, 8.3 Rebs/ 3rd in steals( 310)

Last edited:
Lobo probably gets a little over inflated because she was the best player on the first championship team and got it started. Tarausi has been my favorite to watch. You'd forget she was a woman at times.

I haven't watched a ton of this run. I watched a little of the Lobo/Wolters team. Rita Williams from Norwalk because I played against her a few times in summer pick up. The Bird/Tarausi/Cash team. And this current group, especially this year. Probably because they are the anti-boys team in just about every way.

The girls play a very high basketball IQ game and if they don't, Geno has no use for them. Rod Purvis and Danny Hamilton couldn't play for Geno.

Lobo is in the top 7 or 8 for sure- but she played in an era of women's basketball when the athleticism level was far below what it is now, and Tennessee at the time was the only really good, consistently athletic team. It still amazes me that UConn beat Tennessee in 1995 in the national championship game, and then again very badly in the 2000 national championship game, which was one of the best if not the best national championship games UConn played.

Lobo and Nykesha Sales were the only two highly rated recruits on the 1995 team. I think the starting guards were Jenn Rizzotti and Pam Webber, but Nykesha Sales eventually played a lot. Here is some video of highlights from the 1995 championship game win over Tennessee, which is viewed as a historical turning point for the sport:

The reaction you would have if you told everyone there that in 15-20 years UCONN would surpass everything UT had done to that point and more...........amazing if you think about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT