ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with this team!!!!!!

Husky fan in Va.

Dec 3, 2010
Ok after watching this awful display of basketball against Tulsa (and who knows they still have plenty of time to come back and win) I think I have figured this out.

I think this team is living off the fact that they are the defending National Champions and that alone should win them some games with only marginal effort. Well here are the FACTS: Only Ryan Boatright has the luxury of milking that championship run. He is the only one on this team who significantly contributed to that unbelievable achievement. I realize Brimah and T Sam had some shining moments but their contributions were minimal in relation to Boat and last year's real players (Bazz, Daniels and Giffey).

This team has to wake up and start playing and FOCUSING hard. When you get to the free throw line, FOCUS!!! Don't assume when you throw up your shot it is going in because after all "WE" are the defending National Champs. Earn the respect you feel you are entitled to!!!

Not a bad argument, I can see what you are saying in this team. I think it is more a lack of true basketball talent.

What's wrong ? Losing.....Napier, Giffey, Daniels, Kromah.......upperclassmen with enough BB IQ not to sabotage theirself
with some out of control shot towards the hoop. after they bust their ass on D to make a stop .......instead of the bunch of TO
machines on this team who love to throw prayers towards the basket or don't even get a shot off.....You can get away with
it against offensively challenged teams at home when you play good D..but not on the road vs. a team who keeps beating
you off the dribble !

Oh and guys who could make FT's when it matters too.....44 %....WTF !
This post was edited on 1/14 9:20 AM by the Blades

We are a fringe tourney team at best and we certainly aren't playing like we want to be dancing come March. Just when you thought things were heading in the right direction they lay this bomb and make Tulsa, who didn't even play well, look great.

Tulsa was a one dimensional team who can't throw the ball in the ocean, they make us look like good shooters, yet we allowed them to get into the paint time after time in the 2nd half without adjustment as we watched their lead balloon to as much as 17?!

Not to mention Boat was a no show this game...he was way too passive and that was the least aggressive I've seen him all year outside of his less than 100% Yale game.

I hate to say it but some blame is to be laid on KO. How many times will our team come out and not be ready to play in the 1st half?...we consistently sleep walk through the 1st half of games and that is something that should never become the trend.

If these starters aren't bringing it right from the tip then something needs to change. 5 points in 10 minutes of action was down right hilarious. It was USF all over again.

I also can't believe that the announcers are able to point out that we should be fouling their 40% FT shooter on the court when we were down 5 with just under a minute, yet KO doesn't do it he would rather let them run the play clock all the way down and watch us miss not one but two chances at securing defense rebounds.

Pathetic game in what is becoming one of the most frustrating seasons since the Dyson, Kemba & Sticks team. One thing we may have in common with that bunch is that they were NIT bound - hate to say it but if you can't take care of these AAC teams then we don't deserve a spot in the NCAA tourney field

Originally posted by Silk31:
I hate to say it but some blame is to be laid on KO. How many times will our team come out and not be ready to play in the 1st half?...we consistently sleep walk through the 1st half of games and that is something that should never become the trend.
I had the same thought in another thread, hate to say it but he looks as "distracted" and unengaged as his
players do at times.

The main problem is there is not a second player who can make their own shot. Hamilton is the closest but he is a freshman and it shows.

The team would still be OK if they could cut down on turnovers and make foul shots. Both of those require mental toughness which some do not have yet.

Originally posted by the Blades:
Originally posted by Silk31:
I had the same thought in another thread, hate to say it but he looks as "distracted" and unengaged as his
players do at times.
I fully agree Blades...I can't even possibly pretend to relate with the situation KO is going through but I'm not feeling the same energy from KO as I did the last two years. His in game management used to be superb and he always had a drawn up play coming out of timeouts but I'm not seeing that this year.

Of course he has to start to get a feel for his personnel as we lost a lot of key players but he he's got to find a new way to get through to his players. Lack of effort is unacceptable and we have long stretches where we just go through the motions out there.

I hope we figure it out soon or else this season will be nothing more than a year long learning experience

I think we will all look back on this time in Olli's life and know we didn't get his best for obvious reasons. I feel for him and its not very fun knowing that you want to place blame on the coach but know that he is hurting. He is a good guy and deserves a ling leash for what he did the pat two seasons and for his unending loyalty to this school but there is no doubt he doesnt have this team focused and neither is he.

Agree with you 100% Dom. Calhoun certainly had some down years as well, probably need to give Ollie a little slack. Or as that bonehead announcer kept saying last night "Ali".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT