ADVERTISEMENT

Vital is a Husky

How do you feel about our chances with Thompson?

Aman my man he was a Cuse lean a while ago so will be tough this late but if anybody can lure him away KO can.... Especially since there is a need and he could play here and get minutes early too

I think a grad transfer big makes more sense than Thompson anyway

My only issue is Thompson doesn't seem like the big, bruising banger that UConn so desperately needs now that Hamilton's and Miller's team leading combined 15 boards a game are gone. I want a go-to, main man rebounder who can clean the glass to the tune of 8 or 9 boards every game! A freshman isn't likely to be that guy. Bring in a JUCO or Grad Transfer with a grown man body and grown man rebounding ability.

solid get. Next years team is such a mixed bag....................still I am already excited about it.

I will say Ollie is the best guy for him, a couple times in that clip of him he makes stupid punk moves towards an opponent and Ollie will bench him so fast his head will spin if he tries that in a UCONN uniform.

Shooting and defense his fortay and 7 assists in an all star game. Yes please.

Kind of the same fortes as Purvis but if you can shoot 3s and play D and handle a little bit you can play for UConn.

Depth was needed plus another guy off the bench that can shoot. Nice late pick up by the Huskies.

Welcome to Storrs, Christian

Video interview- Christian Vital will Bring Max Effort to UConn…

image.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice comments by Pitino about Ollie.

We have a spin here but who knows how much Louisville's looming additional punishments and scholarship restrictions didn't play some role in losing Vitale.

I think Vitale was a nice pick up as far as getting a 3 point shooter. Assuming Purv comes back, 3 point shooting could see a big upgrade over last year. Omar Calhoun was average and Hamilton was kind of average. Gibbs and Purv were the best 3 point shooters and I feel like UConn will be better in 3 point shooting and in penetrating. Gibbs was the primary ballhandler most of last season and now Adams and Gilbert should be a whole lot better turning the corner on their man.

I am more worried about the rebounding and how that situation will be addressed. The horrible numbers on O boards and the departure of the 15 rpg of Hamilton and Miller. I still don't know how that will be addressed.

As far as the boarding I think Facey( who ave. 3.6 rebs in 13 min) could at least duplicate Miller's ( 5 rebs in in 26 min) numbers with more PT, Enoch could be another guy ...he showed flashes of being a monster at 6-11/250 if he learns position D and stays on the court..... other than that the X-factors are Larrier( 3 reb a game in 18 mins ) as a VCU freshman..along with Mamadou ( he's suppose to be a plus rebounder as we all know) and also Durham who has alot of height but he's really an unknown coming off the injury and being rail thin. But as is the case every year no one knows until we see them / who gets the PT ??? ... so until then time will tell. Just as long as it's not like 2013-14 when a PG/ Bazz lead the team for most of the year, but seeing they won a NC it worked out OK...

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeSimonetta14
I hope you are right! Enoch has the potential to be a great rebounder but he had trouble staying on the floor, picking up fouls at a more alarming rate than Nolan and Brimah. They also tried playing Facey at the 5 and after one okay game he was a time bomb of foul trouble. And guys who don't stay on the floor don't rebound because they are on the bench with foul trouble.

Hopefully between all the guys you mentioned they can cobble together enough rebounds to get those guards going in transition.

One thing highlights vids don't show enough of, especially for Bigs, is the ability to box out and then anticipation/predicting where the carem is going. Charlie V was good at this as well as the undersized Marcus White.

Reactions: the Blades
One more interesting thing regarding rebounding numbers and who might step up beside the FR who are unknowns.... and by who can do what if they get more PT:

Facey was a better rebounder per 40 minutes than Hamilton...... Enoch and even Brimah were better than Miller and both averaged about 3 more per game than Nolan. Also Adams replacing Gibbs at the PG ( w/ Purvis @ SG) could become Bazz like and he might double up Gibbs in rebs since he was about 2 more per game. So there could be a little addition by subtraction in other spots besides Hamilton or in what the FR and Larrier bring.( a net negative at 6.5 per 40 as a VCU FR.... 3 less than D-Ham did as a FR at Uconn).... Hopefully Larrier being a 3rd year player though a Soph eligibility wise has gained some strength ( he's added 20 lbs since VCU) and can improve his numbers.

scroll down to the per 40 minutes stats: * UConn 2015-16

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT