ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Puff Piece on ESPN

northdakotahusky

Nov 27, 2010
I'm eating breakfast Sunday morning. The restaurant has a TV with no sound playing ESPN. For the last 10+ minutes ESPN has been broadcasting a UNC puff piece on SportsCenter.

This isn't on ESPN Classic or 2. This is on SportsCenter. It's been broadcasting for almost 20 minutes. 20 minutes on the greatness of Dean Smith and North Carolina. I'm disgusted.

The feature appears to be over, but the left pane normally reserved for upcoming news topics has been replaced by a picture of Dean. WTF!

This post was edited on 2/8 11:40 AM by northdakotahusky

Along with Cuse BSPn is filled with a lot of UNc suits in high roles so not surprising and expected

I guess college basketball is better when UNC is good. So ESPN will do their part to make it so.

This post was edited on 2/8 9:29 PM by northdakotahusky

Originally posted by Ozzie3178:
Along with Cuse BSPn is filled with a lot of UNc suits in high roles so not surprising and expected
You mean like this UNC grad John Skipper, who is the man behind the curtain at ESPiN and helps
pulls the strings for his companies downplaying of the sins of his alma mater and it's over hype of anything
spelled ACC ? The irony is that the company was started by a bunch of my Whalers friends with a lead
to cover Uconn sports and now the SPIN'ers have done everything they can do diminish the Huskies while
it's run like a fr#ckin' infomercial for those good Ol' boys from Tobacco Road.
This post was edited on 2/9 9:40 AM by the Blades

Umm... I think I stepped in it a little. I was really out of it this weekend. Worked a lot and I didn't pay much attention to the news...also I'm an idiot. I did not realize Dean Smith passed away. My apologies to anyone I offended. I have a little bit of egg on my face.

I didn't really get the thread and thought it was a complete diss of a legendary coach. I was kind of surprised you did not get flamed by UNC fans. In any event, your last post explains it.

Dean Smith was a very innovative coach who implemented the 4 corners offense which directly led to the installation of a shot clock in college basketball. I remember watching a UNC-Duke game in the late 1970s in which UNC used the 4 corners offense and the score was 7-0 at halftime. It was in some ways fun to watch that offense if you liked good ballhandling as the offense relied on a superior ballhandler and correct spacing of the other players in order to be executed properly.

I felt UNC was fortunate to beat Georgetown in the 1982 NCAA championship game. That was a really, really good game but at the end of the game there was a a great shot by Michael Jordan and then a misplay by Georgetown which decided the game.

UNC actually had great teams the years after that but got beat in the NCAA tournament, one year by Indiana which was not nearly as good. Despite that I felt Smith was a much better coach than all the guys who have come after him, by a lot. He seemed to be a classy person as well. That was a different era of college basketball than what exists now- I think so much has changed that all you can do is compare him to his contemporaries.

This post was edited on 2/9 3:18 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
I didn't really get the thread and thought it was a complete diss of a legendary coach. I was kind of surprised you did not get flamed by UNC fans.
With all respect and condolences to a great coach, I don't think UNC should be wandering to far off from their own
site to do any flaming at all presently. It's more like they should be hiding for cover. Hoping that all those friends
they have in their back pocket at the NCAA and money makers over at ESPN continue to do their best to sweep
their scandal under the rug /drag it out as they work on a smoke screen to make it all go away.
This post was edited on 2/10 12:56 PM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT