ADVERTISEMENT

UConn's Offence

billnat

May 10, 2006
UConn's starting QB appears to have ok stats with 277.5 yards per game, however a closer look tells you why the media and many UConn fans are not happy with him and would like to see freshmen Boyle get a shot. The negative side of CW is he leads the league in sacks with 10 and it not all the offensive line fault. Two he also lead the league int's in just two games with three and that was his problem last year when he had 9 TD's and 16 int's. I'm not going to judge him, but it would be interesting to see how others feel about him. GO HUSKIES!

Re: UConn's Offense

I'm not a buyer on it's Whitmer's fault... McCombs sucks and the GDL coached zone blocking scheme has lead to the worse OL Uconn has had in years. Give Whitmer an OL that doesn't leak like a sieve and RB that the D has to worry about and you'd see less picks and less concussions. Take a better look at the numbers.... the real problem is the running game and line is so bad Whitmer has to try and make plays(mistakes) because his passing is the offense.

I'd say he's the best passing QB since Orlovsky( though Cody could've been better w/o getting kicked out) but he's trying to work with McCombs in the backfield who averages a little over 3 yds per carry with no power game (yds after contact) or break away ability.

Compare that to every Uconn RB in the last 10 yrs. who have all averaged about 5-6 yds per carry. Uconn has gotten away with alot worse QB's because of it's running game and OL. The numbers below don't lie. I wouldn't mind seeing Boyle but he won't improve the OL or RB and my fear is the true FR could get banged up as bad as Whitmer( what did he have 2 concussions last yr ? ) has without either.

GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
WHITMER, Chan. 2 129.08 45-74-3 60.8 555 3 75 277.5
WHITMER, Chan. 12 119.0 208-361-16 57.6 2664 9 74 222.0
McENTEE, Johnny 12 111.3 172-335-8 51.3 2110 12 64 175.8
Frazer, Zach 11 99.69 136-261-6 52.1 1425 5 47 129.5
Frazer, Zach 8 116.39 116-218-9 53.2 1461 10 52 182.6
Endres, Cody 7 145.15 98-154-4 63.6 1354 6 88 193.4
Lorenzen, Tyler 9 90.06 79-162-8 48.8 869 3 43 96.6
Endres, Cody 5 80.39 39-84-3 46.4 411 0 34 82.2
Frazer, Zach 6 103.16 46-83-6 55.4 536 2 47 89.3
LORENZEN, Tyler 13 122.98 197-347-6 56.8 2367 13 63 182.1
BONISLAWSKI, M. 12 95.90 75-163-3 46.0 843 5 45 70.2
HERNANDEZ, D.J. 7 114.98 86-147-9 58.5 849 9 61 121.3
BONISLAWSKI, M. 7 97.55 162-82-7 50.6 836 6 30 119.4
HERNANDEZ, D.J. 7 118.96 90-46-1 51.1 515 6 57 73.6
ORLOVSKY, Dan 12 134.71 457-288-15 63.0 3354 23 90 279.5

This post was edited on 9/20 9:08 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
Blades. yes the offence line has been bad, but i agree with the broadcaster because i've seen the samething he holds on to the ball to long sometimes instead of throwing it away and that along with not reading the blitz's has cause some of his ploblems. Back to OL the thing their real bad at is run blocking if you look film theirs very few holes for any of their backs and that was mention. That has been a big drop off, it was their strengh for years, but it is no longer. GO HUSKIES1

But the other thing everyone keeps doing is giving Lyle McCombs a free pass. I watch the games, my eyes don't lie, he would've never gotten a sniff of the field as a RB on any of the Uconn teams before him. Watch him after even marginal contact. Unless he has a huge whole the play is over for him. Which was never the case with any other first string RB that played for Uconn at the Rent. His FR hype was just that because he ran the ball so much he got over 1000 yds but his Yds per carry were mediocre. I've seen McCombs go down time after time once someone on the D even pushes him with one hand. Has he ever once broken a long run for a TD without getting caught from behind ? I can't remember one.

So I've been comparing him to other RB's I've watched and he's by far the worst I've seen. Towson's RB and the power he had made LM look like he doesn't even belong in high D-1AA and should be playing for Yale. He always hesitates at the line and by the time he decides to move the play is over. I bet you don't find another 165lb RB in the entire FBS unless they are lightning quick which McCombs isn't, but the problem is with Josh Marriner a true freshman PP hasn't recruited good enough to give himself any options. If LM had the ability to add even 2 or 3 yds after contact it would change everything for the offense. Can he give you anything like Dixon, Brown or Brockington (all over 200 lbs) could in short yardage situations ? Alot of what you say above is true Bill but because LM brings so little as a RB it amplifies the other problems with this team.

This post was edited on 9/19 10:37 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
Blades; while you and i have been in almost total agreement on just about everything were not on this one. You feel the RB position is the problem and i think the QB position the problem. CW 19 int's { in 14 games}, countless sacks and more is the biggest problem. Turnovers as everyone knows are the worst thing for a team. OL, WR and RB all play a part, but it starts with the QB. Blades i have respect for you and your knoeledge so i'll wait to here from you friend. GO HUSKIES!

Bill reasonable minds can disagree so I accept that. If LM's not a problem, name one RB in the last 10 years that he would have started in front of ? I could see Whitmer's passing easily starting him ahead of Bones, Lorenzen or even DJ when he was a QB. As far as interceptions, I agree he has to cut them down.

But the difference is that CW has always been out there in horrible 3rd and longs for most of his career. Especially last year in GDL's run, run, pass, punt offense. Alot of times it was a 1 yd run on 1st down by McCombs, a run & 2yd loss on 2nd, then CW's forced to make a play on 3rd long when everyone in the stadium knows he has to pass. Or even worse CW was brought back in to try to bail out the offense on 3rd and long from that foolish wildcat that usually failed and screwed up the whole timing of the unit. On top of that GDL always put the QB over center 90 % of the time meaning any good DL rush gives his QB even less time to set up up than if he was in the shotgun.

When you have a RB who can get you 5-6 yds a pop and your in 2nd and 4's it keeps the D honest and they can't tee up on the QB, which can halt the pressure and the bad throws/ picks. So that is why I give CW a pass at this point, he's dealing with stuff other Uconn QB's haven't had to.

But hey.... if Boyle comes in with the same RB and OL and has success then you'll prove me wrong and I'll be the happiest guy in the building.

This post was edited on 9/19 5:00 PM by the Blades

Last edited:
Bill, I just read this article today which touches on every point I'm trying to make:McCombs May Get More Running-Game Help Against Michigan "The Huskies' rushing offense is ranked 122nd (57.5 yards a game), next to last among FBS schools.

That's embarrassing when you consider how highly the Huskies have ranked in the recent past. In fairness, outside of Terry Caulley (5-7, 185), the Huskies' most successful runners, Jordan Todman, Donald Brown and Andre Dixon, were all bigger backs than McCombs. " ( YEAH THEY WERE ! and Caulley had about 20lbs on McCombs too !)

"It definitely has some bearing on it," Buggs said of McCombs' size. "He's a quicker back that needs more space, not going to be able to run through as many tackles. But we're trying to work on that, working on keeping his pad level down and working on his strength." ( It's his 4th year in the program if he hasn't added weight or strength by now it's not happening, which means he's never worked at it like every Uconn RB before him)

"It wasn't long ago that it was the UConn passing game that drew nationally low rankings. At 277.5 yards an outing, it's ranked 37th this season. "

"Coach Paul Pasqualoni repeated Tuesday that the Huskies need only break a couple of long runs a game for the entire offense to open up. But right now, he said, defenses don't fear the Huskies' running game so they're not backing off and won't until it becomes scarier." (Which doesn't make Whitmer's job any easier)

This post was edited on 9/20 9:03 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
Blades; i agree McCombs has been a big disappointment and dose not compare to the rb's we have had in the past. Most of UConn's turnovers int's, fumbles and bad field position is the fault of a gun sling QB who forse's throws that he should throw away or take a sack when he should have thrown the ball away. I would love for him to change all that and prove me wrong, so here's hopeing your point is the right one. I can't make the game,but here's hopeing you enjoy the game and the imposiable happens UConn wins. GO HUSKIES!

The gunslinger's passing accounted for 349 of Uconn's 383 total yds vs. MD while under constant pressure ( watch how bad the RT tackle #75, who' subing for Friend, is on pass blocking sometime) ....all while Uconn's DL line hasn't had a sack in 2 games and everything else that has gone wrong from no running game, no punt return yds, poor punting.. or the D giving up almost 400 yds to Towson and over 500 yds to MD.... but Uconn's bad field position is on CW. ....Yeah OK Bill....

This post was edited on 9/20 4:12 PM by the Blades

Last edited:
Gentlemen the other enormous factor that seems to always be missing from out offense is that not just CW - but all of our QB's (except for the once sparingly used McCummings) have been immobile. They try to run the stupid read option with a QB who can't run, can't take a hit and doesn't want to run. It's like a defensive coordinators dream: Ignore the QB on the read option because he isn't keeping the ball. They could roll out with him (like they did last night) and that would help with the GD mentored offensive line. They could also throw more bubble screens to some pretty talented wide receivers to get the ball out quickly. By the way, you could also pitch out to keep the edge players honest but why would do those thing?. Instead let's keep running our little tailback between the tackles for 1 yard gains...

True about the running QB's... that goes back to Dan O... so you have to have a balanced offense, anyway you get it done.. screens, pitches etc. to keep the D honest. CW should always be in the shotgun with this OL ( especially #75) because of what you mention. Lorenzen had the jump to his game but didn't sling it a lick at the end of his career. He was way better than McCummings but l don't even consider him a dual threat, he's more like a "running threat" QB.

Overall Uconn doesn't have the playmakers at skill positions. Delorenzo at least gave them a different look at RB. The 2 Big wideouts are Uconn's best advantage over smaller CB's on offense but that's not enough. Unfortunately the reason Addazio and Boyle parted ways was he wanted to go dual threat at BC. So I think he's gonna be more of the same with him as a runner, but he's bigger than CW and can probably take more of a hit. I did like what I saw in mobility from Taylor the new FR QB ...he may be Uconn's best pick in the future if they want to go with a run option guy.

This post was edited on 9/22 12:30 PM by the Blades

Last edited:
Once again as my friends and i said having breakfest, it the same thing all over another int. at the worst time. CW has started 15 games and thrown 20 int., 16 last year which led the league. Last night this one hurt more than than the others, because of how big of a game this was for them. CW needs to be smarter with ball, less sacks of which some are his fault and stop forceing throws into tight coverage. I thought this year he would take better care of the ball and play a lot smarter, but that has not been the case so far. GO HUSKIES!

It's gonna continue to be a catch 22 with CW unless Uconn's anemic running game changes. That one play was a killer. But Uconn was outrushed 192 to 47 which forces the QB to make plays. The play before the pick an OL took a penalty to put Uconn into a long yardage situation meaning he has to throw the ball long and even then it took a great play by the D to reach up for int. But what other options does this offense have when you need 15 yds? Hand it off to McCombs for a 2 yard gain ? I keep hearing CW should throw it away, when the OL breaks down(which is often) last time I checked you don't get a first down or yardage for that. So maybe he should keep throwing it away and they can keep punting it back and give up more points. The other thing is trying to roll out for a run option but I don't think he's that great a runner. I also counted at least 3-4 drops that stopped drives for Uconn.

Uconn needs to find some other way to pick up yards from the backs..... screens passes, sweeps, something... unless they find a RB that who doesn't keep falling down and can give them a 100 yd game. ( Williams when he's back from suspension ? the true FR Marriner ? )

SNY's John Silver had some thoughts on the offense:
* The run game continues to under perform. A little better for the offensive line, but Lyle McCombs had 38 yards rushing on eight carries with one 16 yard run and Max Delorenzo added 23 yards on six carries. I think they need to split carries at RB. McCombs just isn't getting enough yardage on first down and I like him better on second and third down. Huskies need more of a power back in there. Perhaps it's also a bit of the no huddle offense, but UConn may want to revamp and get the fullback and maybe a couple of tight ends out there and get back to some power football. I would like to see that."

he also added:
"Speaking of playmakers, the Huskies don't have any without Shakim Phillips. He wasn't able to go and the problems that caused were immense. Geremy Davis had some plays and with four catches for 52 yards, and Deshon Foxx added 60 yards, but nothing lethal. John Green didn't get a catch and no other wide receiver had a catch. Where were playssupposed to come from? "

So unless this offense changes CW focusing on using his best offensive weapons, Davis and Phillips, could be moreof the same risk-reward. PP could put in Boyle which doesn't sound like an option from what I've been reading from him. That still wont change the running game or give Uconn playmakers though. It also sounds like Cochran's father thinks he should transfer from Uconn so I don't think he will ever get a shot.
Son's future at UConn comments from Jack Cochran

But here's Silver's recap from SNY:
Postgame thoughts: Michigan escapes

This post was edited on 9/23 8:54 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
Comprehensive tape breakdown of the offense in the Michigan game from the Uconn Blog:

Keep it up:

Diversity of the play-calling
Steve Greene everything
Hard running from the backs

To Fix:
Offensive line's right side
Tight ends pass and run blocking
Dropped balls
5 dropped passes, 4 sacks allowed via pressure from the right side and poor run blocking. It is unknown whether wide receiver Shakim Phillips and right tackle Kevin Friend will be able to play against the Bulls. But, it is a fact that whenever they do come back, this unit can be much better because of them as its issues have been execution based.
Tale of the Tape: UConn offense vs. Michigan

This post was edited on 9/24 2:33 PM by the Blades

OK Blades, we're here now. We're 0-3 and MUST beat Buffalo. What do we know about them? They're 0-2 against FBS schools and the line is UConn -2. I think the weather is supposed to be good which we need since we can't run the ball. What weapons do they have that anyone knows of? Also, did anyone get dinged on Saturday?

I agree Buffalo is a must win if they want any chance to save the season. Especially with an off week before USF, who has been worse than Uconn, getting whipped 53-21 by FCS McNeese and FLA Atlantic 28-10. Uconn's opponents so far are 12-0( I saw Randy's boys beat WVU 37-0) so it's huge that Uconn goes into the break believing in themselves. No let downs from all the Michigan hype, a 2 game win streak is a must before Cincy who lost QB Munchie Legaux for the year. And if they lose to UB it would be as good a time as any to dump Pasqualoni and DeLeone.

I liked what I saw from the back-ups Ruben Frank, Jhavon Williams and Ashiru on D. Ashiru looked better than Stewart who was out. They also have to get Phillips back and #75 Hemingway off the field on offense. He's to light at 273lbs for a RT and guys shove him away like a rag doll. Give me Gifford, Levy or whoever if Friend isn't ready, they can't do worse. As far as the field I expect McCombs( especially) falling down less than he has as long as it's dry, since Buffalo has portexe Artificial Turf.

This post was edited on 9/25 11:40 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
Interesting read from the CT Posts Kevin Duffy, He sees Whitmer pretty much the same way I do as he writes:

" Let's preface this with a few things: This isn't an attack on Chandler Whitmer because, frankly, Chandler Whitmer isn't a bad quarterback. He's actually pretty skilled -- more so than anyone we've seen in Storrs since Dan Orlovsky (with the exception of Cody Endres). On this UConn team, among the 13 winless squads in Division I, Whitmer is far from the biggest problem. If you contrived a list of the Huskies' issues, he wouldn't crack the top three. But adds: " Problem is, he's not great enough to overcome UConn's other offensive deficiencies. He doesn't have stud potential. "

So his article says maybe it's time to:
Insert QB Boyle as a high-risk, high-reward move

But with this comment from the HC it might not happen
........ YET :
" Asked Tuesday if Whitmer needs to improve to remain the starter, Pasqualoni replied, "We need to run the ball better, we need to protect better and we need to help him. It's always the quarterback, the quarterback, the quarterback. It's the supporting cast that helps the quarterback, too." .

This post was edited on 9/25 12:17 PM by the Blades

Last edited:
I have been rooting for PP since the day he got hired, being that he's a bourn and bread ct. guy i wanted him to do well. With about 80% of the football fan base against him, why should we be ask to listen to HC theory of offence. I think everyone knows and dosen't need to be told that the run game and offensive line is awfull. The article did mention his 20 int's in 15 starts and that worst then all the QB's UConn has had since going Div.1. Here is why so many blame him for loss's, he admitts throwing into a tight window at times. That alone tell's you why he get so many int's and add to the fact like he did in the Michigan game threw into triple coverage and got intercepted giving them a short field when UConn was up 7 with about 10 min. to go in the 4th quarter. A punt making them go on a long drive when UConn's defence was having its best game made a whole lot more sence. UConn may have still loss, but Michigan would have had to earn it. GO HUSKIES!

Bill, what you and alot of fans have is called tunnel vision and you can't see anything else. I give you the view of 2 people who know a hell of alot more of what is going on than you and your breakfast friends( only 80% on PP?, I'd say 95 %....LOL) but all you can see is Whitmer, Whitmer Whitmer. Have you been to an open practice and seen the other QB's?

I guess that's why they call fans Monday(Sunday) morning QB's. Because some fans don't understand that a terrible running game and picks/risky throws are not exclusive of one another. CW has to cut down on INT but who ever comes in will be forced to take chances into tight windows too because of a weak running game and a quick breakdown of the pocket on the constant long yardage situations that gives them little time to go threw their progressions.

Tyler Lorenzen only threw 3 picks his SR year, but he had a 2,000 yd RB (Brown) to hand off to and a powerful offensive line. It's pretty hard to get picked off when you only have to pass 6 times like TL did his last game at Uconn. Or how about Frazer who had 9 picks his JR year in split time with Cody despite having two 1000 yd rushers( Todman and Dixon) to hand off to.

I'd like to see what Boyle can do too ... but with all the other issues Uconn has and 25% of the season gone do they burn his redshirt and put him out there as a sacrificial lamb with no running game and weak pass blocking ? Will they kill his confidence and get him banged up? That is part of the risk they take on top of losing Boyle for another year later in his career once the team turns the corner, especially if PP is gone. I would rather see him redshirt than use him as a last chance prayer to save PP's and GDL's job.

But my guess is CW will get popped and hurt sooner or later when the OL breaks down. Then the decision will have to be made between Cochran who's accuracy looked terrible compared to Whitmer in the open practices I went to or Boyle who looked the part and had better feet though he was a little off from what I saw. I liked Taylor because of his quickness ...but he has a ways to go on his overall game. All I can add is patience my friend.... I'm sure you'll get your wish !
This post was edited on 9/26 7:36 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
one word describes this offense: dumpsterfire. the offense is pathetic, and yes, it's the players who have to perform but much of the blame has to be laid at the feet of the coaching staff. the head coach should never have been hired by uconn, he was only productive at the SU and that was many years ago, we know what he's been up to lately; consecutive 5-7 seasons. that hot seat he's been warming up needs to catch on fire and send him on his way. i hate watching for game updates on the alphabet channel and seeing uconn on the short end of another stick, this is sick. unbelievable.

Blades; You and i have agreed on almost 100 percent of the topic's in the past. This one we have slightly different views. I and my friends have agreed that the running game and the offensive line have been awfull. As for having tunnel vision, well for someone who has as much football knowledge as you do, i'm surprise that you can't see the importance of turnovers and making smart discision being exstreamly import in winning games. You came accross a little bitter and i won't go their because thats not what friends do Com'on man!. Here's hoping UConn can turn their season around and the players plus their fans would be a whole lot happier. Keep the faith my friend.GO HUSKIES!
This post was edited on 9/26 3:08 PM by billnat

Bill, not bitter at all...you started a thread that asked for opinions but it really seems you just wanted to bury the QB and I see no one is going to change that. I've provided facts, comparisons, articles with play by play breakdowns, quotes from beat writers and the head coach( people who actually know what goes on in practice) but to you it's ALL ON CW. Me and alot of other people don't see it that way. On TOS it seems like it's a mixed bag of opinions in this thread regarding the Boyle and Whitmer topic: Kevin Duffy article thread

I'm in the camp that CW is one of the better QB's Uconn has had and is working to do his best in a bad situation. I think interceptions are part of the position, when you play pro-style QB ( a guy like McCumings gets to screw up running the wildcat last year but when it's time to pass he can't be at fault, because he comes out.) And there are so many other things that put a pro-style QB in a tough position when things are going bad....but to you it's all his bad choices and decisions, fair enough....Maybe we can just agree that it's the toughest and most visible position in FB so therefore it's the easiest to hand out the most glory or blame. But if Boyle gets a shot with his upside and can turn into one of the Manning boys or Tom Brady ... Uconn will have something special ( well maybe not Eli this year with 8 picks in 3 games for my Giants).

I still think this has been a good thread and if you didn't start it the FB board would be dead as usual because what else is there to talk about. Peace out my Husky brother !

This post was edited on 9/27 8:31 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
Blades; your right this topic has stured up some interest to a board that used to be alot more active. PP may not be here for long if he dosen't right the ship in a hurry. I do see alot of talent in CW dispike the fact he's not fleet of foot. Their know douth with a better OF line he would be better. With that said he dose need to play smarter, because this team dosen't have the weapons to come from behind when down by 10 or more points. GO HUSKIES!

Gentlemen, we're not going to see anybody but CW this week unless throws up about 3 or 4 pure ducks. I would think that the coaching staff is hoping to win and win big. In light of of Maryland's decimation of West Va. they're probably thinking that a few wins could put lipstick on this pig and save their jobs. I just hope we don't waste too many downs by running between the tackles with our favorite 172 lb tailback. How about running wide or rolling out? A quick slant, a tight end screen, or even running out of the gun with a fullback might not be bad. Good luck to us all.

Originally posted by the Blades:
" I agree Buffalo is a must win if they want any chance to save the season. Especially with an off week before USF, who has been worse than Uconn, getting whipped 53-21 by FCS McNeese and FLA Atlantic 28-10. Uconn's opponents so far are 12-0( I saw Randy's boys beat WVU 37-0) so it's huge that Uconn goes into the break believing in themselves. No let downs from all the Michigan hype, a 2 game win streak is a must before Cincy who lost QB Munchie Legaux for the year. And if they lose to UB it would be as good a time as any to dump Pasqualoni and DeLeone."

Well the key is PP took his connected at the hip partner with him:
Paul Pasqualoni Out As UConn Football Coach

If you're going to post something about the offense then at least learn to spell the word. I have seen a lot of stupid spelling and grammar mistakes on football message boards but this one takes the prize!
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by FastMJ:
If you're going to post something about the offense then at least learn to spell the word. I have seen a lot of stupid spelling and grammar mistakes on football message boards but this one takes the prize!
roll.r191677.gif
Lighten' up Francis ! ......and give Billnat a break, I thinks he's Canadian or using proper British English...I tried to switch the word to the American spelling on the second post but he didn't follow my lead. But since your here to be the spelling police your probably to dumb to realize that it can be spelled both ways.
confused0024.r191677.gif

ie.- ARGOS ADD TO OFFENCE AND DEFENCE | Toronto Argonauts

This post was edited on 10/1 8:03 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm going to stick with the explanation that he just doesn't spell very well as evidenced by the following gaffes contained in this thread, Just for fun, here's a sampling. Guess he went to Uconn.

stured (stirred)
knoeledge
dose (does)
hopeing
imposiable
bourn
bread (bred)
awfull
admitts
tell's
sence
topic's
discision
exstreamly
dispike
dosen't

I'm Italian-American and english/spelling were not my best subjects in school. Both my kids went to college and they both spell very well, must take after their mother. I know alot of people don't spell well and the key that corrects their mispelled words is used alot. I not a dumb person but i don't need to explain to you or anyone else Fast M.J. I post here because of my passion for sports and UConn. I might be the oldest poster on the board at 71 but to me it just a number. I'm in good shape and golf 5 days a week, i'm a very active person but my spelling is alittle rough GO HUSKIES!
This post was edited on 10/1 4:50 PM by billnat

Bill, it's official TJ announced it so you got your wish: Middletown's Tim Boyle In As UConn QuarterbackNow let's just hope that Mike Foley can get the OL back on track and correct the 2 plus years of confusion GDL left behind. I'd like to see the kid get a little more time in the pocket than CW had. From what I saw of him playing hoops last year vs. Windsor, I wouldn't say Boyle looked that quick .....at least vs. basketball players.

Last edited:
I pull and root for who ever is at QB. I'm glad Boyle getting a chance to play early, because i think that why he came over from B.C. remember B.C. was his first commitment then the huskies. You knew their would be some changes and that was the most likely one. Their will be others, but that was number one. GO HUSKIES!

Yeah I want to see what he can do..... I think he's the 1st true freshman QB to play since Dan O..... my big fear like I stated above is that they burn his redshirt, but nothing changes with the OL, running game. etc. Then it seems like a waste. But with Mike back running the OL and PP out if the OL doesn't step up their effort and wake up now they never will. Also it should be interesting to see the new 2 deep next week.

This post was edited on 10/1 5:36 PM by the Blades

Last edited:
A few more things on the offense from FOX Sports:

"Weist says he'll use that time(off week) to evaluate all his personnel and determine what other changes may be needed. He said whatever moves he makes will be designed to show that UConn is planning to win this year. " ( Josh Marriner ? Whatever happened to the speed back Williams, is he out for good ?)

" The Huskies are expected to simplify some of their blocking schemes in an effort to kick start a running
game that ranks dead last in the FBS, averaging just under 46 yards. "

"Weist said the Huskies will continue to run a no-huddle offense, but stressed it won't be a spread. He said it will be more of a multiple-formation, multiple-set unit."

"I'd like to be a little bit more up-tempo team, if I could," Weist said. "If we had a little more depth, (they need Phillips back) I probably would be. It's hard to be a good no-huddle team unless you have some tempo to move the football."

FOX- Interim coach T.J. Weist said he is taking the red shirt off highly touted freshman QB
This post was edited on 10/2 9:05 AM by the Blades

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT