ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women Update

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
The UConn Women are in the championship game of the Gulf Coast Showcase against Green Bay tonight, after Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck had 16 points each to lead UConn to a 39 point win last night over previously undefeated Vanderbilt.

UConn played their best game of the year last night. A big change in the lineup had been Nurse starting for Chong. In the Stanford game, Chong was awful on defense and I guess when they watched the tape the coaches saw that and decided to go with Nurse, who is bigger, stronger, and more athletic than Chong. I like Chong's offensive game, but she really has trouble keeping her man in front of her. She is better used off the bench and I agree with the coaches' decision.

Tuck is playing well, but she has been responsible for tons of turnovers the last few games. She overdribbles. She is putting the ball on the floor and driving to the hole like a point guard. While she does handle the ball well, they have to get her to be a little more cautious with her dribble.

KML has vastly improved her all around game. She is defending like crazy (8 steals the last two games) and is also driving and scoring to compliment her best in the nation 3 point shooting.

Finally I hear people complaining about Stokes but last night in only about 20 minutes she had 7 points, 8 boards and 7 blocks. She had 13 boards the prior game. All that is needed from her is rebounding and defense. UConn has a ton of scoring at all other positions and people who want Stokes to be a double digit scorer are just not looking at what she does well and what the team needs from her.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/112914aaa.html

I love the move to get Stokes out of there and Chong as well. I love Chong's fight and for coming back this year. Both girls are just role players off the bench for a team like UCONN. Stokes is shy a few UCONN blood cells and just doesnt have the push to be great or to even be her best.

What I noticed about having stokes out there was that the luxury we had in Dolson in that she was a legit threat to nail the mid range jumper but teams have NO FEAR that stokes will so they play off and pack it in meaning Stewie is far more neutrailzed when the ball gets swung around. With Tuck she will chunk it up from anywhere which leads to a problem for Teams who will have to account for Tuck's shot. On the flip side they will ALLOW her that shot because she isnt great at them but again its better than ZERO option once the ball touches Stokes.

As for Nurse.......Awesome and will be that way for 4 years. So much better than Chong in every category including experience.

What I also noticed about this team is the value in Hartley, we dont have anyone out there running the show like she did. MoJeff is awesome but she isnt the leader out there, no one really is. That is the only way we dont win two more in a row, no leader out there. Stewie is awesome but not a leader and we dont seem to be running the ball through her.

Nurse.......I might be calling her the UPGRADE to Bria Hartley with a few more games like tonight. I didnt know she could hit 3's like that.

Stewie is in a funk that I hope ends soon.

Nurse.......I might be calling her the UPGRADE to Bria Hartley with a few more games like tonight. I didnt know she could hit 3's like that.

Stewie is in a funk that I hope ends soon.

Nurse was very appropriately named MVP of the Gulf Coast Showcase. She was UConn's best player in this tournament.

To me, Nurse looks like the total package as a player. For a guard, she is big, strong and athletic, she is extremely aggressive on both ends of the court, does not mind contact, finishes plays through contact, shoots the 3, passes the ball well and gives it up to open teammates, and does what is needed to win. She is also fundamentally sound and appears to have been well coached in Canada. I don't mind her turnovers that much because she plays with controlled aggression, not out of control aggression.

Her Uncle Donovan McNabb and her brother Darnell (who was 1st round NHL Draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers) should be very proud of their niece and sister. She might be the best athlete in the whole family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT