ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women Next Season- 2020-21

@Blades, I play softball with Peter Cochrane in Norwalk. He was a two or 3 year walk on and won a ship in ‘11. I ask him a ton of shit. He hated when he had to switch on Kemba. He is 6’3, but guarded mostly wings in practice. Usually Lamb. It’s amazing that he’s the best athlete everywhere we go and he was a walk on at UConn. That is how ridiculously good they are. I think he should have been a WR in football.

Speaking of If you follow UConn football, how is DB Juan Rosario from Stamford? My step daughter dated him a few years ago. Great great kid. I’m trying to recruit him for for wood bat softball team once this craziness is over.
;)
Yeah I give these practice kids alot of credit, hour and hours of work, plus school and everything else they're into. Rosario if I recall was a PWO
(preferred) seems to have the right measurables, so he could probably earn a scholly if he keeps with it like former WO's Marcus Easley, Donald Thomas (both made the NFL) and a bunch of CT kids have done in the past.... That's the one thing in CFB that happens alot more often with 85 spots and a bunch of turnover...

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Thanks bud! Seems like there is a ST Luke’s pipeline after Noel Thomas. He’s a kid that I was supposed to coach at Norwalk high until they hired his dad.

Silas Redd and Kevin Pierre Louis are other Norwalk kids that went the private school route. Got to love HS recruiting.

Reactions: the Blades
How about Muffet retiring? Has she been hanging out with MJ at the sports book?

Muffet retiring might have a negative effect in that whoever takes that job could have been on a short list for who we get after Geno.....whenever that comes.

I Was thinking of a Megan Walker comp and it’s Melo. Good rebounder and spot up shooter, but not athletic enough to be a 3 or big enough to be a 4. So a combo forward, but more of a tweener. Doesn’t make anyone else better and not great defensively.

This stung initially, because women usually stay all four years. But I stand by my comment that this makes us better at the end of next season.

Reactions: the Blades
From my standpoint it could be addition by subtraction with Walker leaving. They will miss her 45% 3 point shooting, but they have some players who can make up for it, and they will be better defensively with Griffin starting. Simply put, they have more than enough scoring and talent on the roster to offset her loss. A few players need to step up, but can step up, and if they do she will not be missed.

I am not sure if this Paige Bueckers profile was posted elsewhere here but it's worth a look, she seems like a winning type player:

This is concerning. No Anna Makurat means one of Bueckers or McLean likely starts. If Bueckers starts in a 3 guard lineup, the bench is just McLean and Gabriel- both untested freshman. This isn't what you want!

I Was thinking of a Megan Walker comp and it’s Melo. Good rebounder and spot up shooter, but not athletic enough to be a 3 or big enough to be a 4. So a combo forward, but more of a tweener. Doesn’t make anyone else better and not great defensively.

This stung initially, because women usually stay all four years. But I stand by my comment that this makes us better at the end of next season.
Speaking of Megan....

The Register is reporting that Nika Muhl and Aaliyah Edwards will join the team later this week or early next week. Regarding Anna Makurat, it's still not known when she will come over from Poland.

" Members of the UConn women’s basketball team started to arrive in Storrs for summer workouts this past weekend, the program’s target date for their return initially set in June. Those on campus include, according to their social media, all three international players, sophomore Anna Makurat and freshmen Nika Muhl and Aaliyah Edwards, who previously faced issues entering the country with U.S. travel restrictions.....Though it is unclear how many of the team’s 10 players have made it to campus, freshman Paige Bueckers, junior Christyn Williams and senior Evina Westbrook have posted on social media about traveling to and/or being on campus. "

The Terrific 10! Although it's only the Magnificent 7 until the 3 foreign girls arrive in Storrs.
And now there are " The Elite 11 !!! " ......
" A 5-foot-8 guard, ( Lafayette, LA ) Chassion held a 4.0 grade-point average and was her high school's valedictorian. "

Great front page story by Dan, (You can just click the twitter link like the first twitter above I posted of her, for the full read) she's not your average walk-on: "there was one power conference school that was in the AP Top 10 as recently as last season that showed interest, pulled off but then came back late in the process with an offer. "

Last edited:
It's a rare kid who passes up scholarship offers to walk on at UConn. UConn would seem to be deep at point guard, and there are 2 other point guards in the freshman class, but she lengthens the bench, which could be a good thing if there are injuries or illnesses.

thanks Blades, I sneak over to the Boneyard and read some stuff.

i won’t post there though. I said Ben Gordon was a lottery pick as a soph and was mocked here, before they bolted for the BY.

some people can watch a lot of basketball and not have any clue what they’re seeing. :cool:
I hear ya, I remember those days and had some moments back then with a few too. First they were all lead to Scout, but I've never been a lemming so sticking around here has been more than fine.

• Love
The reports I read indicate she is even better than Bueckers, her friend and future backcourt mate. Will be best backcourt at UConn since Bird-Taurasi, which was the best backcourt in women's college basketball history.

ADVERTISEMENT