ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Wins At Texas

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Best win so far this year. I felt UConn played well, 46.6% FGs on the road is solid, and they held Texas to under 40% and the defense wasn't bad. However, I think Texas did not play a smart game. They jacked way too many jumpers instead of pumping the ball inside to Ibeh and Cleare. Granted those guys are not PT players but they were big bodies and UConn had no matchup for them. Although both Ibeh and Cleare were comedy shows at the FT line. Did anyone see the two straight airballed FTs by Ibeh?

But Texas is a quality, athletic team and UConn played good offense most of the night except Adams who had way too many TOs and still plays like a freshman. And I will take the game that Gibbs gave UConn which even though he was 2-11 or whatever he hit a huge bucket at the end and made some big FTs. But they gotta keep the ball out of Purvis's hands in the final minute and platoon him on D which is a joke! He has to do better than 54% with his FT stroke. I don't get it. Anyway this is a HUGE RPI win. Now on to the AAC and lets kick some AAC ass!!!!!!!!

By the way Facey is quietly effective in the 5 hole. He had a nice game, all they need from him is to grab boards and provide some minimal shotblocking presence which he can do those things. I like the way UConn played. Adams needs to clean it up but everyone else did what they were supposed to do.

Last edited:
UConn also outrebounded Texas by 2. This is not something I would have expected but Facey grabbed 8 boards and Miller 7 and Purvis and Hamilton 5 apiece. This is good rebounding by Committee. Not much run for Nolan and none for Enoch so Facey looks like he is the man at the 5 and he looks like he should be.

Big W on that road for our Huskies!!

Confidence builder and should start a roll of Ws!!!

We did not even play well and controlled that game start to finish. Defense effort was there

Ozzie I was worried that there would be a layup line- there were a few breakdowns but nothing major and holding Texas under 40% on their court with no Brimah is a very solid performance. I do believe that Texas played kind of young and not smart at all jacking way too many jumpers and not moving the ball and working for shots. UConn ran much better offense than Texas did.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Yea we did run much better plays especially after timeouts. But so many bonehead plays and still got a W on the road against a top 25 Caliber team should wake many of our kids up and start ballin consistently now!!

Facey to me deserves MVP of this game. Dude is 200 lbs dripping wet and balled in his minutes as he has all season!!

Reactions: the Blades
We had a pretty bad stretch in the beginning of the 1st half when their guards were consistently getting passed us on the perimeter but we picked up the defensive effort big time. That was as good a defensive showing as we have seen all year long.

I have total confidence in our offenses ability to score but our defense will be key to how good this team can really become

Great job by KO on his rotations dealing with the foul trouble up front and his subbing for RP while getting Gibbs the ball as a finisher at the FT Line...Like the team D with Texas having a small ball look and alot of guys who could beat you off the dribble if they aren't squared up....Their bigs were physical but you can see why they can't play more than 10 minutes a game.....Guess Mack had his game of the year, I can see why he would've been a nice commit if Shaka didn't grab him....best RPI win of the year so far ....on to New Orleans and a happy New Year !

Box Score

Ozzie I agree about the bonehead plays- there were a lot in the second half especially by Adams who really plays young and hasn't really been as much of a factor as I thought he would be. Although you have to take the overall offensive performance they can play better. Apart from Adams, and despite Gibbs' late game heroics, I am puzzled by why Gibbs hasn't shot better. If you notice he shoots kind of a line drive jumpshot with not very much trajectory, unlike Purvis who has more of a rainbow jumper. We have not seen the Gibbs who knocked down 43% on 3s last year. But there is still time for him to get the % up.

Regarding Facey I liked the way he played but when will he gain some weight and muscle? He plays hard and gets boards but it was scary watching him against the likes of Prince Ibeh and Shaq Cleare. Those guys are not great players but they could easily overpower Facey.

Why didn't Enoch play? Is something going on with his effort in practice or was KO scared of what kind of sorry and lost defensive positioning UConn would get?

Enoch is coming along. That was a prime time must game and Steve is just not yet ready for those... Will be

That's what I was hoping to hear. In truth, considering some of the issues he has had with learning proper defensive positioning, it wouldn't have been fair to play him in a game like this. Unless an emergency occurred. I think KO is more and more showing his coaching demeanor to be like Calhoun's in very big games- he goes with the experienced guys he trusts. Facey more than earned his trust with the way he played last night. I worry that Facey getting in foul trouble playing at the 5 will be a perpetual issue and if so, both Nolan and Enoch will have to step up and play.

Saturday night against Tulane, against a team we all assume sucks moose balls playing in a high school gym, it would be wise I think to give Enoch about 15 or more minutes so he can start learning on the job. I don't think Tulane will beat UConn and if control of that game is established I like putting Enoch out there and seeing how he responds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT