ADVERTISEMENT

UConn vs Southern CT State U- 11/5 1 pm

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
i just purchased tickets for this game and observed that there are still a number of seats available for this game in Gampel.

This will mark the return of SCSU coach Scott Burrell to UConn. I was at the very first game at Gampel Pavilion in January 1990 and Scott Burrell played in that game which was a 14 point win over St. John's. Also playing in that game was Malik Sealy who later played in the NBA and was killed in a car accident while still in his NBA career if I recall correctly. Scott Burrell played very well for UConn in that game.

Burrell brings a team that went 22-8 last year and made the NCAA division 2 tournament. They are a better team than the UNH team that small balled UConn with some success yesterday.

UConn as a team needs to rebound better and the guards need to shoot better. I will be interested if we see any improvements in these critical areas.

I saw Scott Burrell play for the first time when he was in high school. He and Chris Smith were both incredible players in high school and among the best I ever saw in the Connecticut high school game, along with Charles Smith who played at Harding and later in the NBA, Frenchy Tomlin and Maurice Williamson. I saw Burrell's Hamden team play Williamson's Wilbur Cross team in the State tournament. Williamson went to LSU as I recall and then got hurt. During that era there was ridiculous amount of talent in the CT high school ranks, some of which was also tapped into by Sacred Heart's national championship team in 1986 which featured all Connecticut guys.

On the high school basketball level Burrell was an elite athletic talent who could drive the lane and dunk on people. He was also a great baseball pitcher drafted in the 1st round by the Toronto Blue Jays and there was some debate as to whether he would play basketball or baseball as a pro. Some thought he had a brighter future in baseball. He threw very hard mid 90s at least. And many will recall he famously put that right arm to use to throw a length of the court pass to Tate George for the "Shot." Tate is famous for making that shot but Burrell is not as famous for making the pass that enabled the shot which was on the money.

Reactions: UconNell
The Gampel scoreboard is now listing players by name as well as numbers so no need to even look at the program any more!!!!!!!!

Facey again playing great......he hustled back and blocked what looked like a breakaway layup for Southern and then a possession later made a nice jump hook.......Enoch again with 2 quick fouls he seems to find contact and whistles and it doesn't look like it should happen. Looks like he's unlucky but when it keeps happening I don't think it's luck he is finding whistles .....

Awesome tomahawk dunk on 2 on 1 break by Larrier!!!!!! Looked like he didn't have the angle but crammed that baby down!!!!

Gilbert sees the court well and is making crisp passes but he has not made a jumper from outside in 2 games

Gilbert has a nice low dribble whereas Jalen dribble higher. Gilbert is a pure point guard and should be primary ballhandler.

Larrier just made an awesome twisting move to the hole but didn't finish the layup. He is super talented and might lead this team in scoring.

Purvis doing what he does best- getting out in the break and scoring. Like Gilbert he hasn't made a jumper beyond 15 feet

Halftime UConn 44-33

Purvis has 14 almost all in transition breaks and Adams 13. Adams was aggressive going to hole.

UConn outshooting Southern 61-33% on FGs

Boards are only 20-17 UConn

UConn has 2 made 3s by Adams and Larrier. Southern has 4

UConn had 9 turnovers and 3 blocked shots first half

Purvis on the break and Adams driving to hole and sprinkle in a little Larrier athleticism and that is why UConn has put up 44 points. Larrier looking great and is a lock to start at forward. He is super athletic and looks smooth to me with his moves and his stroke.

Brimah jams off nice feeds from Gilbert and then Adams. Brimah has all 10 UConn second half points!!!!!!!!! All easy buckets, dunks and layups. Where was this before?

UConn shooting 68% for game - 60-37 UConn right now. Southern shooting 31% and turning ball over but boards 24-21 only

They are playing up on Jackson and he is scoreless and has had a few TOs - not a good game for him so far

Durham has looked very skilled and instinctive out there with good passing skills. He just got UConn's 19th assist and Brimah dunked it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT