ADVERTISEMENT

UConn vs. South Carolina Girls tonight!

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Tonight UConn plays at defending national champion South Carolina before an expected sellout crowd. This game will feature the two best players in the country over 6’5” in UConn’s Stevens (who should get a lot of minutes) and SC’s All American, Wilson (apologies to Oregon’s 6’5” center who is also very good).

South Carolina’s size, rebounding, and athleticism should keep this game very competitive and it’s a losable game for UConn, if they do not play well. I do believe that this game and the game against Louisville in 2 weeks are the only losable games on UConn’s remaining regular season schedule.

UConn’s defense looked very, very good last game and hopefully that will continue in this supercharged atmosphere and before a national TV audience.

Score predictions? I was wrong at Texas K99.

But I'm a believer, girls 85-scar 68.

If Wilson hadn't drawn two fouls on every one on our roster, including Natalie Butler, this might be 55-10.

Very good first half by the Huskies. UConn has discovered that Kia Nurse is really really good as a catch and shoot 3 point shooter. I think she is leading the nation in 3 point shooting %. It is basically a 1 on 5 situation for SC as Wilson is not getting any help. SC supporting cast is not very good. SC definitely not as good as last year when UConn also beat them.

Actually Gabby Williams did a great job on Wilson and forced Wilson into TOs. Wilson at times was trying to do too much, because she knows she has to for SC to win this game. I did not see SC down 30 at half, but to be honest, their defense was very weak. Geno must have seen something in spreading them out on tape because their defense was slow to react and get out on the wings and contest shots. UConn played too fast for them...

Good win for UConn! Not easy to beat a top 10 team on the road by 25. I don’t think SC is going to be a threat this year. They are offensively challenged.

All of us should be appreciative of the steady play of Crystal Dangerfield. Although she is and was up and down with her shooting and her decision making, she is playing very good D. Last night she took an awesome charge from an out of control Wilson. She allowed herself to get steamrolled by Wilson who is a huge girl!!!! That took a lot of courage because she had to know she was going to get steamrolled and she did get steamrolled and her feet did not budge. I would like to see one of you guys be her size and take a charge like that from an out of control 6’5 monster driving, or actually barreling down the lane!

Dangerfield is a calming influence on the team - she is always composed -and allowing Nurse to go off the ball, as noted by Geno, has allowed the superb shooting stroke of Nurse to be fully maximized. Nurse is a catch and shoot type player, one of the best we have seen. She isn’t as good shooting off the dribble.

Last year Chong started and Dangerfield, who wasn’t ready, came off the bench. Now we see that she was seasoned for her role this year and she is playing at a very good level. She is going to be great the next two years, just watch.

Last edited:
Loved the charge, K99. She gave up close to 80lbs, but Crystal is like Mighty Mouse.

I was actually shocked they called that a charge the way Wilson was getting every call. Even Lobo was kind of complaining about it. As was Geno, which is to be expected.

Btw, agree Crystal is going to be special the next two years. However, she's an excellent shooter, but she can't fall in love with the 3 ball.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
That call was 100% correct. Wilson was trying to do too much, she was barreling down the lane and saw Dangerfield and tried to do a crossover dribble (which was ridiculous), fumbled the dribble and then barreled into Dangerfield full speed and totally out of control. I have seen that play many times but it’s usually a guard that makes a play like that, not a huge center. If Dangerfield had flinched and shuffled her feet nervously I wouldn’t have faulted her but her feet were locked to the floor. She caused the fumbled dribble and the charge and there was no other call to make. Replays showed it was a fantastic charge taken. But Crystal is a 5’5” girl and she is giving away 80 plus pounds to an out of control freight train, and to see that was pretty special. Crystal gets my defensive play of the game although Gabby had a good contender when she forced Wilson into a TO. When they put Gabby on bigger players they can’t put the ball on the floor against her. Her hands are too quick and any kind of sloppy handle will be exposed by Gabby.

Last edited:
dawn is a little rough....just to dismiss the racial slurs as false is reckless. i wonder if this would have been heard differently is it was MilkDud said it at baylor?

I love that she knows the title she won was not just an * but a full fledged 1/2 title.

I want walker to get more minutes............cant let her transfer for lack of minutes. she is a great player and geno needs to be mindful of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT