ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn vs. Florida St. in NJ

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
vs. Florida St....SAT DEC 8th ...6:30pm (ESPN2) @ the Prudential Center (Newark, N.J.)
FLA-ST.jpg

This game has to be a W if UConn wants to get an at large bid. 1-2 against the Power 5 so far is not going to cut it and 1-3 certainly will not cut it.

I watched Florida State in the NCAA tourney last year and they were one of the better defensive teams I saw. I doubt UConn will score 86 on them. This game more likely to be in 60s. I was very impressed with Ike Obiagu who has since transferred from their team. He wasn’t starting but came in off the bench and was a great, game changing shot blocker in NCAA tournament. He probably feels he is a starter and he may be. The 7’4” center for Florida is a lane clogger so the Huskies will need to create some offense with defense and get in transition this game as much as possible. Don’t expect a 50% shooting night from UConn, it’s gonna likely be closer to 40% unless FSU is real sloppy and gives UConn a bunch of fast break points.

Reactions: UconNell
We hammered Ollie the last few years and rightfully so.

But our guards shrink whenever we play anyone with a pulse. Adams and Gilbert are certainly no Bazz and Boat. Forget about Kemba and Lamb,

Florida State was just too big and too physical. I thought this was the best defensive team UConn has faced this year. There were no clean open looks inside almost the whole game and UConn just could not run their offense against this team. The only stat I see where there was a clear FSU edge was in FG%.

Same thing we were talking about before the season started. You just can't play a small ball line-up vs. these normal sized high major teams. Uconn if it wasn't height, it was muscle and they were overmatched at every position by about 15-20lbs (see FSU line-up above). When Wilson (177lbs), Polley (200lbs) or Smith at 6-3 was guarding that 6-8 260lb FSU forward it was hilarious and they looked like little kids.

Hurley tries to over come this with his small ball pressure and to some extent he was successful creating 22 TO's , but like mentioned above when they are challenged by these "real teams" , the guards go right back to the hero ball, no passing offense that they played the last 2 years under KO. And all the hard work on the D end is neutralized by the quick shots and low IQ stuff they do on offense (19 TO's to just 7 asst)..... PS , WTF happens to Carlton in these games ?

Last edited:
Same thing we were talking about before the season started. You just can't play a small ball line-up vs. the normal sized high major teams.

There were a couple plays where the FSU bigs took their UConn man to the hoop and simply overpowered them. I was disgusted by two plays in particular, the 6'10" kid off the bench who was made to look like a 1st round NBA pick taking Cobb and the 6'8" kid off the bench abusing Polley. After that I knew UConn was going down this game. FSU just too big and strong.

I felt FSU was the best team UConn has played so far this year and UConn did fight them at the end, but the game was a lost cause. Now 1-3 vs. Power 5 and it's not good.

Well, that was nice of him.....but with this undersized thing, IDK:

And it's not just us who see it.... everyone see's it...... from the AAC board from a Memphis fan,
Tigersmoke4
buddy_offline.gif
I Root For: Memphis
RE: 12/8 (Saturday) AAC Basketball Games
No offense, but UCONN is playing some uuugly ball. Whomever has the ball on their side of the halfcourt line is shooting it, whomever gets one of the few passes from a teammate is shooting it 2 on 1 or 3 on one be dammed. It seems like everyone is playing hero ball, or no one trusts their teammates in transition. Yet UCONN is still in it even with some real ticky tack calls against them from the refs.

Last edited:
U guys b-ball coach is a total embarrassment for ur school! Bitches the entire game, nonstop yapping at officials and opposing players. High school coach at best! Middle school more appropriate! You deserve much better!

Reactions: nolepaul23
Thbull, We've basically had a drunk pilot that dozes off during flights the last 5 years, so we don't care if you like our coach or not.

Taggart is likeable To the opposition. Because he most likely lost to them by 20+ points. I hope our new OC has some of Hurleys tenacity. We need it.

Hey wake up. Jim Calhoun is no longer the coach of Uconn. FS is ranked number 11. Uconn is not ranked. Look at the rebound stats. More importantly look at the breakdown. Everyone is rebounding. There are a lot of good athletes on this team. They are finding themselves. This is a good Uconn team with a good coach. We are starting all over. Look at the positives. Go Uconn.

Hey wake up. Jim Calhoun is no longer the coach of Uconn. FS is ranked number 11. Uconn is not ranked. Look at the rebound stats. More importantly look at the breakdown. Everyone is rebounding. There are a lot of good athletes on this team. They are finding themselves. This is a good Uconn team with a good coach. We are starting all over. Look at the positives. Go Uconn.
Glad you finally have...;)....and thanks for stating the obvious...Why don't you stick around and join the conversation, we can all see the positives and I haven't heard anyone, on this board at least, who isn't all in on Hurley ( sorry to the KO apologists) ...so welcome back and hearing your opinions and thoughts as the team makes this new journey isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Naes41,

I mentioned in a prior post that none of the stats (including rebounding) was a net negative, except FG%. Florida State is ranked number 11 in the nation due to being very, very good on D and we certainly saw that in this game. However many of UConn’s TOs were due to bad decisions and impatience and rushing the offense. I do think UConn is playing better than last year and that they have a deeper team than last year, especially at the guard position. However their 1-3 record against P5 has been very disappointing to me. I don’t think they played well in the 3 losses and the patterns were the same, bad decisions, TOs, not reacting well to physical defense and also poor FT shooting. They have improved in some areas, it just hasn’t shown up in the most important games. I don’t see them beating Villanova and with a 1-4 record against P5, If it comes down to UConn or a P5 bubble team to go to NCAA tourney, P5 bubble team wins. It’s that simple. An upset of Villanova could change that analysis possibly, but I do not see it happening.

That's a fair analysis, KSTW and obviously what we discussed is the same thing beat writers and Hurley himself pointed out after the FSU game.. I agree Nova is gonna be a tough match-up for Uconn because they just wear you down defending them with good ball movement and shot selection. I saw it when they played Temple. The Owls had a lead for much of the 2nd half until they started forcing some bad plays and shots while Nova, just continued to grind it out on offense (only 7 TO's) and won the game by 10 points. Uconn has to play smart and cut down the TO's vs. a team like that to come out with the W.

Regarding the NCAA Rankings - ( Basketball NET ) Uconn is still 3rd in the AAC, but has dropped to 66 only slightly ahead of UCF & Temple. So currently Houston (#14) and Cincy (#25) will be the only 2 AAC teams that can help the Huskies move up with a W. Also what you just mentioned .....the read above has DH saying the same thing:

“Sloppy,” coach Dan Hurley said after his team’s 79-71 loss to No. 11 Florida State Saturday at the Prudential Center. “We need to just play a cleaner game.”

Last edited:
Hurley - new coach
Al - 2 years on bench with injury
Sid - I year and several games out
2 transfers
Eric - suspended last year

Should I go on?

Naes41 , wow that's enlightening, I never knew that... what's your point ? We critique the games on this board and talk Uconn, both good and bad, do you have anything intelligent to add ? If not find a different board...instead of coming here as a name calling drive-by poster telling the posters that actual create content and conversation, what to say and how to think. If your to simple to discuss basketball rather than pretend your some periodic thought police, then peace out.. and don't read it.

Last edited:
What are you 12 years old, you show up here every 6 months & tell people not to have an opinion like this brainless rant you posted last January:
What a bunch of losers. All of you get off this blog.

I'll go slow because obviously you have mental problems. We discuss basketball, that's what this board is for. It is not here to make personal attacks on other posters. If you can't handle remarks and opinions that aren't directed at you then you can always use the Ignore function at the top of the page....

Last edited:
you Saved it? Wow. I regret that post. Peace. Sorry. My passion gets the best of me sometimes. I am a big Uconn fan. My analysis is dead on. I see great things for this team. My concern is that they need encouragement to achieve the greatness. If the team reads these blogs, it can be a little disheartening. They have to start with the little things. Look at Al between the game against FS and 2 games before. Much better player. No knocks on anybody. Not discounting your analysis or anybody else. Just the facts.

Fair enough, I'd rather have this type of discussion. And as I tried to kid about at 1st above... you made some valid points that most of us diehard Husky fans left on this board see too. But don't take a critique after a tough game as anything more than just discussing what could be done better to get the W., just like the beat writers and TV guys do. And I doubt the team would ever read these boards. They actually do the work on and off the court, so they have plenty on their plate. I'm liking that the program is in a much better position than it was a year ago. And hopefully DH, now that he's recruiting his own guys, continues to add more height and strength so he can handle these high majors.

PS, I didn't save your post...it's just in your profile when you click your user name.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT