ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-Virginia Final Sequence

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
I watched the final 7 minutes of this game on SNY. How ironic was the finish of this game in light of what happened at the end of the Navy game last week? UConn had all 3 of its timeouts at the end of the game and Virginia had none. After VA completed that 4th and 10 pass I though it was certain they would tie or win the game. Then they call a run play, the guy doesn't score a TD and doesn't get out of bounds. They have very little time to set up for FG, they have a rushed FG attempt and then miss badly. I could see as the time was running down that they had too little time left, and it was going to be a very rushed FG attempt at best. It was totally unnecessary for VA to even be in that situation if they had done a better job with play calling and managing the clock. They tried to go for a TD, failed, and then didn't have time to get the FG off.

UConn lost a game due to clock mismanagement last week and won a game this week due to the other team's clock mismanagement!!!!! A wash from the football Gods!!!!!!!!!! How do you like those apples?

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
Another ugly Uconn game but I guess a win is a win ???? ....from the Courant:

And UConn loved the result — another game with the late drama Diaco predicted before the season.
"A self-fulfilling prophecy," Diaco said. "I should have said something else."

Interesting tweets by someone who knows plenty about Uconn and offense:

As a sports fan I don't mind the late drama, because the essence of a sporting event is competition and performing under pressure and this game enabled us to see both teams do that.

I read some of the press and video out of Virginia and they repeatedly mentioned in those reports that Virginia practices late game rushed FGs and also praised the "efficiency" with which Virginia got the kicking team out on the field to attempt the kick. To me, this is a whole big bunch of bullshit to justify or dignify a bad loss. There was no reason to have a rushed FG attempt and it puts immense inordinate pressure not only on a walk on kicker but also the snapper and holder. On plays like that snapper and holder and kicker must all be in unison and the timing and execution has to be coordinated. It's very hard to do all that and get off a clean kick. That kick missed badly and it was due to these guys being rushed, and they didn't need to be rushed. Period and end of story. If a Virginia fan wants to tell me otherwise I am all ears like corn on the stalk.

Wow, even Danny O is upset.
Was at the game & suppose to go vs Cuse but not sure I can sit thru this again...not the drama, not the close score...the friggin offensive play calling. Was daydreaming duri g the 3rd qtr cuz the game was awful...and I guess when I think about last year they were really a 4-8 team save for a pick 6 & hurt QB.

I'm sure I'll go next week but it's really become more about the tailgating fun with the actual game an afterthought. Can't believe I'm whining but it's tough to watch...

Wow, even Danny O is upset.
Was at the game & suppose to go vs Cuse but not sure I can sit thru this again...not the drama, not the close score...the friggin offensive play calling. Was daydreaming duri g the 3rd qtr cuz the game was awful...and I guess when I think about last year they were really a 4-8 team save for a pick 6 & hurt QB.

I'm sure I'll go next week but it's really become more about the tailgating fun with the actual game an afterthought. Can't believe I'm whining but it's tough to watch...
shaggy,the fact of the matter is our offensive line (though very experienced) is just not good enough. I watched the film today and Richard Levy was constantly beaten. His man crushed Sheriff on one play and Levy was at least 8 yards behind watching. Obviously Diaco doesn't have anyone better or he would play him.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
shaggy,the fact of the matter is our offensive line (though very experienced) is just not good enough. I watched the film today and Richard Levy was constantly beaten. His man crushed Sheriff on one play and Levy was at least 8 yards behind watching. Obviously Diaco doesn't have anyone better or he would play him.

+1, I saw same thing all day vs. Virginia, too. Looks like the OL took a huge step back this game, especially in pass protection compared to the Navy game.
While Virgina's QB had all day except the one time Diaco blitz and sent 5 in to sack him.

Fuller mentions in his article, that they were down 3 O lineman this game with different types of injuries, but the OL has got to pick it up. He mentioned Rutherford
moved over from OT this week to guard to fill in for Vechery ... Hopkins' replacement from the week before...plus the center Oak is out.. But once Vechery or Hopkins
get back he's gotta take a serious look at someone replacing Levy... Fuller even mentions the 6-6/ 335lb true FR Nino Leone is now running with the 2's.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT