ADVERTISEMENT

UConn v. Louisville Elite 8 Game

True, especially with KLS hurt and ineffective plus with Louisville already putting a whoppin' on Uconn earlier this year.

The ineffectiveness of Samuelson is hugely concerning. She did make some nice passes to Collier for assisted baskets but has been a non-threat scoring the ball. She has to give them something in scoring or UConn will go down.

In the Katie Lou video posted by Ian in the other thread, she acknowledged that she was playing through issues with her back and did her best to not make it sound like an excuse for not contributing. I am just hoping she is something more than an extra body. It’s probably going to be hard for her to knock down some 3s which is where she most helps the team, but I am hoping she can at least nail a couple early to open things up. There is way too much sagging on Collier going on and although Collier can handle double and triple teams and does a good job scoring in traffic, I would like to see the interior unclogged.

Crystal has to stay aggressive. She can’t defer to KLS anymore. CWill as well. Then hopefully their penetration creates drive and kick opportunities.

Samuelson is likely going to be a decoy and facilitator although it would be great if she cans a couple early 3s so they have to watch her out there.

Guys......UConn will probably lose this game and it has nothing to do with KLS. I have nothing but respect for Geno, love him like I love JC but his recruiting has not kept up with the others. Other teams have figured out how to beat UConn and that is to recruit tall and often times BIG girls to which UConn cant handle. We have the best players still skill wise but we are not the best athletes anymore and its shows.......Geno either steps it up are dare I say he doesnt win another title. I think it is that bad.

Guys......UConn will probably lose this game and it has nothing to do with KLS. I have nothing but respect for Geno, love him like I love JC but his recruiting has not kept up with the others. Other teams have figured out how to beat UConn and that is to recruit tall and often times BIG girls to which UConn cant handle.
I saw something on, I think SNY regarding Geno really screwing up this years team. The gist of it was he thought he would treat Azurá Stevens like he does the new FR by riding her all the time and bringing her off the bench. Well after a year + of that she had enough (early to the WNBA) and Geno was left without a 6-6 post player he thought he would have. She (might of been a former Uconn player) said he needs to rethink how he handles certain situations, but that's Geno.

PS looks like next years team could be very mortal unless he finds some overseas magic or transfers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominicfrank
Stevens was also a top 10 WNBA draft pick and I think that was the main reason she left early. Her departure is the main reason UConn is short a body inside to deal with some of the teams they need to deal with.

Guys......UConn will probably lose this game and it has nothing to do with KLS. .

I think we all know it’s a losable game (and I am surprised none of the Louisville fans haven’t come into the thread to tell us this) but it’s also a winnable game. However Louisville is very experienced and very good. They should have beaten Mississippi State last year and the only reason they didn’t was bad calls followed by the players (Fuehring) and the coach totally unraveling with technical fouls after the bad calls.

Stevens was also a top 10 WNBA draft pick and I think that was the main reason she left early. Her departure is the main reason UConn is short a body inside to deal with some of the teams they need to deal with.
I hear ya , and that's your opinion not the former player who spoke on SNY. Uconn's had numerous players who could of left early as top 5 picks but they didn't, because they weren't treated like Geno treats FR, which was the whole point of the story.

I think we all know it’s a losable game (and I am surprised none of the Louisville fans haven’t come into the thread to tell us this)
You think way to much of this board and your audience.......Did you ever think you might be just speaking to yourself on this board ???... plus a couple of stragglers.... I do...LOL!

0515a99d20468834772061bdcd0e2dcd24de1c.jpg

Don’t love Crystal on Asia. We need her scoring. Excellent on the defensive boards so far.

0-8 from Durr. Maybe that’s why Geno’s there and I’m in my living room watching. ;)

Get Coombs a few minutes on her to wear her out.

I agree they should sneak Coombs and Nelson Ododa in now with UConn up 10. This hot shooting is not likely to continue and need to keep the starters fresh!

Do these girls know how to count ? I see it to many times w/ them. And in both quarters today. They have the ball under 30 secs and instead of holding for one, they shoot with 10-12 secs, so the other team has plenty of time to comeback & get their own shot. Haven't the learned anything from Chong's dumb play that cost them a NC shot ? Take the last fricken' shot !...you either go up 2 or 3 or the score stays the same.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
I’m Scared that Walker has 14 and Durr has made one shot and we are only up 7.

Blades, usually Crystal hangs onto to it until 3/4 seconds because she’s really the only one that handles the ball, that can create for herself or a teammate.

Blades, usually Crystal hangs onto to it until 3/4 seconds because she’s really the only one that handles the ball, that can create for herself or a teammate.
Not a bad plan... execution .....

KLS 4rth foul was huge.

They have to do a better job shutting down the supporting cast.

Take Walker out.
Why pass her the ball in the backcourt ...this is the most brainless 2 mins ever...Dangerfield doesn't want the ball or she keeps picking up her dribble..
....passing the ball to the worse FT shooter Phesa, in the backcourt, SMH!

Last edited:
Amazing stats blades.

If you told me Pheesa would have 12 points, I would have expected a double digit loss.

And not to look ahead, but the girls version of Zion Williamson on Miss state was knocked out!

Reactions: the Blades
Miss. State lost to Oregon in Oregon. As I said from the beginning being a 2 seed in Albany was a much better reward than being a 1 in Portland cuz you knew Oregon was getting a 2 in that regional.

Ionescu for Oregon had a great game. They have a very good team.

The 12 straight Final 4s is a record which likely will never be broken, along with 11 straight postseason wins by the 2011 UConn men and 88% FT shooting for an NCAA tournament (minimum 100 FTs) by the 2014 UConn men. All 3 of those records will still be on the books a long time from now.

Reactions: the Blades
Never been so happy to be wrong. KLS was sensational, unreal and she was fouled a ton with no calls.....had one airball 3 with no call....late in the game......

This made me think, I think is obvious that teams have tried to beat UConn up and the refs are now playing along. Big physical girls who arent that talented are bring it to us and we are losing to them.....not talent.

Just a thought.

Overall, more proud of this team than really any since Stewies first year.

I'm not sure what's going on with UConn women's basketball recruiting, but something is off. I see they got the #1 ranked recruit for 2020, which is nice, but next year doesn't look good. UConn has been notorious for their lack of depth in recent memory, and next year looks to be no exception. As far as I can tell, they will have one senior, one junior, and two freshmen who can play, and that's it. It seems as though he takes off every other year or so when it comes to recruiting, and at times doesn't bring in anyone of note. Maybe it's because he's known for not going to the bench, and when he has blue-chip players starting at certain positions, other kids don't want to go to UConn because they know they won't get PT. Maybe it's that he sticks to his starters, so the other players don't develop. Either way, it has hurt UConn lately, IMHO. Surprising to see the new commit saying that she liked UConn because she could make an immediate impact - on a team perennially in the final four. I can see someone saying that about the men's program, but the women's?

Last edited:
Dangerfield will graduate after next season, so the starting point guard job will be vacant. Any top point guard UConn was recruiting could have said the same thing because there is a job opening and a chance for an immediate impact.

I agree that the UConn women's benches in recent years have been razor-thin, and it makes the team extremely vulnerable to injury situations, which they got lucky on this year for the most part. There was a time when UConn had a much better bench. I can remember when players like Ashley Battle would come off the bench for double doubles back in the day. Part of the problem this year was they expected Stevens to be back and she went to the WNBA. This left them very thin inside, a weakness that will quite possibly be exposed by ND or Baylor in the Final 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT