ADVERTISEMENT

UConn v. Cincy NCAA Tournament Play In Game

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This is what it comes down to: UConn vs. Cincy Friday afternoon in AAC quarters. Both are last 4 in. Loser goes to NIT. Winner has a chance to go to NCAA tournament. It's not what any of us wanted to see, but UConn now gets a third crack at beating Cincy.

Cinci is not in the last 4 in after their win today. If they lose the uconn it would take a mid conference tournament winner who wasn't already in to steal their spot.

The only significance for the first round match-up is if uconn loses then they are NIT

I would think after beating SMU solidly Cincy would be in. Problem is UConn may need to win 2. I think UConn likely needs to win 2 to rise above the bracket busters and nab a seed. It's a very tough situation they are in because they likely have to beat both Cincy and Temple against whom they have gone 0-4.

It's possible Cincy locked up a berth with the SMU win but I wouldn't bank on it if I were them. I think a lockup occurs if they beat UConn. So in that sense it could end up being a play-in game. If Cincy loses that game and UConn wins 2, UConn could take the last AAC spot and Cincy could be left out but I don't think that would happen. But who knows. Keep in mind conference tourney wins have more weight than regular season wins.

Last edited:
The play-in game would be UCONN/Temple
Cincy should be in
I have zero confidence in this team
I fully expect another low scoring, foul plagued, offensively inept down the stretch loss on Friday.

Well, to play-in UConn would have to win both games, so in the sense that you have to win the first before you can win both, it is a play in game.

If we cannot beat Cincy once in 3 tries then we don't deserve to maker the tourney. Cincy is a good enough team but not that good to where they should hand us 3 losses in one season.

I hope this team has some pride in them but the way they have played all season long leaves me with little to no confidence that they are up to the task.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
In the two games against Cincy UConn shot 37% and 38%, but in the second half of the 2nd game against Cincy, Jalen Adams really went off on them, and one hopes that maybe he can do some more of the same. Cincy played very tough defense on UConn in both games and UConn didn't respond with the toughness and rebounding tenacity needed against teams like this. Many blamed the officials for allowing Cincy to engage in physical play, but Cincy always plays physical and this isn't a new development. UConn is going to have to find a way to get some easier baskets than they did in the first two games or they will be NIT bound.

Just read that SMU's lowest two point totals of the season were in its two games against Cincy.

Cincy won today over SMU by 7, despite shooting 1 for 19 from 3 point land. Cincy shot under 30% for the game. Their specialty is winning ugly, so none of this should come as a surprise.

Just read that SMU's lowest two point totals of the season were in its two games against Cincy.

Cincy won today over SMU by 7, despite shooting 1 for 19 from 3 point land. Cincy shot under 30% for the game. Their specialty is winning ugly, so none of this should come as a surprise.
If we are able to muster up 60 points then I like our chances vs Cincy in this one...but that is a big IF

If we don't win it or get to the final of the tourney then we don't deserve to be in the dance!!

This should be the Jalen coming out to th nation party!

If UConn does need at least one win as most people think, Cincy is the worst possible draw for them. I would much rather see them play Tulsa, Houston, or Temple. I realize they lost to Temple twice, but they at least should have won the first game, and I see that as a better match up. UConn just doesn't do well against a team like Cincy, who has stolen their lunch money in the two games this year. Maybe the refs will have a tight whistle against the Cincy bigs (or at least doesn't let them stay in the lane for 8 seconds). Or maybe if UConn figures out how to rebound, or has a great game shooting from the outside, which will loosen things up on the interior, there may be a chance, but nothing I have seen so far this year makes me think that will be the case. Hopefully they'll surprise me.

Last edited:
I agree that Cincy is a very tough draw. I personally think Cincy is better than Temple or Houston or Tulsa, and they are a problematic opponent for higher seeds in the NCAA tournament, especially if allowed to play as they like. They play physically, and they play very good defense and rebound well. It's the postseason now and anything can happen, but the way that UConn played the first two games against Cincy does not really give one a lot of confidence.

We winning this tourney!!!
Hey we at least made it to the AAC Championship game in each of the conference's 1st two seasons. A title game appearance should do it for us but like Oz said let's just win it all...some payback vs Cincy and Temple along the way would be sweet!

Tomorrow is the season. Do we have any juice left? Today will be a short memory if tomorrow is not a W and our name doesnt pop up on Sunday. I was about to throw in the towel admittedly. The end of regulation looked like a microcosm of the season and I was sure once it went into OT it was over. I suppose it was but someone sprinkled UCONN magic on it. Its the only way to explain it. Both teams offensively were laughably predictable once OT started. 20 minutes of holding the ball under 10 seconds until Hamilton or Caupain went one on one and made something happen. The same problems cropped up AGAIN (rebounding, ball movement, end of shot clock/game offense) but lets see if we can gain some momentum. GO HUSKIES

I agree, UConn has to win tomorrow, but if they beat Cincy and Temple back to back it would be hard to deny them.

Also very funny that Hamilton was pointing at Jalen to take the ball out. JA was having none of that, almost as if he knew he had the best chance at it

Reactions: Ozzie3178
You called it Oz about Jalen stepping up. The kid's game has just been elevated! No doubt in my mind he will bust his tail on being a better jump shooter for next year to round out his game, could be another Kemba or Shabazz eventually.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT