ADVERTISEMENT

UConn @ UCF

dbaum_

Feb 17, 2014
More or less the same we have seen all season from this team. Just countless mistakes and no cohesion leading to another loss. It has been a rough season to say the least but there is just no consistency or any discipline being implemented. There hasn't been any drastic improvement from any of the players throughout the course of the season and the same mistakes are being made each game. We seem to play somewhat better at home but on the road we cannot close out games or even compete to some degree. This could very well be another losing season which would mark the first time in school history of having back-to-back losing seasons. Injuries have been a factor but overall the coaching, the desired and the improvement of the overall team has not shown at all. The recruiting will be immensely affected moving forward knowing that we are not even a top 5 team in the AAC conference and we are not as an attractive destination to land. The turnaround since the 2014 National Championship is really astonishing knowing that we have been such a consistent program with constant expectations of having a chance to win it all; unfortunately that seems to have gone out the window very quickly. If no changes are going to be made in any regard, this is what we will expect from the program moving forward and the future not looking too bright. Hopefully there can be a quick turnaround for the university, fans and alumni to witness what real UConn basketball is again.

UConn at one point had the game tied, I think it was 50-50, and they were within striking distance, but on offense there was a succession of bad shots/“hero ball” plays and TOs, and on defense Taylor of UCF relentlessly attacked the UConn rim and made some easy-looking floaters in the lane. UConn just didn’t execute well on offense or defense when needed late in this game, and like dbaum said, more of the same. It’s up to the coaches to eliminate some of these recurring issues and they haven’t done it after 22 games.

There isn’t going to be any “quick turnaround.” UConn doesn’t have the personnel, and when you look at the schedule, pretty much all of the games are losable. I would say it’s unlikely the team finishes above .500.

Reactions: the Blades
I hear you guys, I think most Uconn fans see it now, but it's the same thing I've been calling Ollie out on... before Maui last year.. and had disagreements with a few posters about. KO doesn't call out or IMHO is he ever gonna change any of his players, when they try to be " Hero's but turn into Zero's".
Because.....
A..... he continues to coach like he's a spectator, especially in the beginning of the season, when this stuff across the board should be corrected.
B. I don't think his players have any respect for what he says because he lets them go rouge so often it becomes the norm.
C. and even if they did listen to him... what he runs on offense sucks, with such a lack of productive movement. Just to much standing around by the guys without the ball .....who never seem to create a passing lane to receive a pass( former G-town coach JT3 called them on it a few games ago), besides the one on one hero ball, so it's a vicious cycle.

I also thought Killings was no savior when Hobbs left and I don't believe Chillious is either. To me it looks like we have the blind leading the blind, over and over. JC left KO with a team in place to be successful ( 2 HC's with years of experience). But I think KO thinks he smarter than he really is and the NC went to his head. Now he's lost ( like another first time HC that Uconn hired for the FB team) with 2 yes men at his sides. And he thinks his cliches and the positivity spin is gonna get him out of it. Well I got news for you KO it's not. We need someone running the team who's gonna man up. Someone to call a spade a spade in the press conferences too when they suck up the joint. Not this weak ass phony praise( like Diaco) for his opponents game after game when he's gettin' his head bashed in or when he's strugglin' against some cupcake.. it's not about them, KO, it's about you..

So I don't know if there will ever be a “turnaround" with him ...There's just so much fundamentally bad basketball and constant breakdowns on both ends of the court it's shocking. Every time he goes small to "create offense" he creates other problems for himself on the defensive side/ rebounding, but it's like he doesn't even notice it. There's no development and some guys seem to get worse. If it wasn't for Jalen's 60 ft heave 3 seasons ago he'd be going on 4 years since he made the NCAA's. And remember... 2 key guys on that team (Shonn Miller and Gibbs) who made big plays & knew how to play the game, weren't developed by KO !... another guy D-Ham came to Uconn as the 14th ranked player in the country... but KO coached him right out of Uconn to 56th in the draft with no NBA contract and into the D-league playing for chump change....

I guess that's what happens when you give a guy a head coaching job he hasn't earned. With 2 years of assistant experience and he decides to go solo against the team the HOF'er put in place for him. On what planet should a guy with that little experience be a HC ? I read the job postings for coaching positions on the FB team and alot of them start with a minimum 10 years of coaching and that's just for an assistants job. Maybe Karl Hobbs was the smartest guy in the room . Who would of thought that a job at Rutgers was more secure than a job at an " elite basketball school" who always reloaded and never rebuilt for 25 years ? I guess I should say former BB school.... thanks KO...;)

Last edited:
Ollie complained in the postgame presser about the -12 rebounding disadvantage and the 12 Offensive Boards by UCF. However in the face of these continual beatings on the boards by good teams, he continues to play a 3 guard offense. He does have the option to use Larrier at the 3 and rotate Carlton, Whaley and Onuorah and even Diarra at the 4 and 5 to counteract this. He can also take Cobb back on the team, as he was an effective rebounder. But I don’t know if that will happen. We still don’t know why Cobb was suspended and what team rule he violated. It was seemingly a halftime incident because we have not see him since a half game he played.

Ollie complained in the postgame presser about the -12 rebounding disadvantage and the 12 Offensive Boards by UCF. However in the face of these continual beatings on the boards by good teams, he continues to play a 3 guard offense. He does have the option to use Larrier at the 3 and rotate Carlton, Whaley and Onuorah and even Diarra at the 4 and 5 to counteract this. He can also take Cobb back on the team, as he was an effective rebounder. But I don’t know if that will happen. We still don’t know why Cobb was suspended and what team rule he violated. It was seemingly a halftime incident because we have not see him since a half game he played.
Thank you....the guy is just clueless...he starts that line-up....then creates his own problems with small ball and gets killed inside and on the boards....and he wonders why... SMH !!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT