ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-Texas Women

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
I don't have an extremely confident feeling about this Monday night game. #7 Texas has beaten 3 top 20 teams at home, including two quite badly (beat #9 West Virginia by 21 and #12 FSU by 15). UConn has a solid chance to lose this game, but they also have a solid chance to win and they will win if they play their usual solid game and defend like they can. Most important is that UConn needs to be challenged, and Texas will challenge UConn.

Texas's top 3 scorers all average more than 13 points per game and all are guards, led by Higgs, who is their top 3 point shooter, and Atkins, who is a ball hawk with 47 steals.

Texas is an up tempo team that scores a lot of points and this should be a high scoring affair. I think UConn's bench will have to step up and play some minutes. Fortunately Geno gave the starters a bit of a blow Saturday so the team should be fairly fresh coming off the Houston win.

Good scouting report K. They're tough.

We've got defend and rebound better. That being said, we took their best punch And are down 3. Now Can they handle our Run?

Texas is very athletic and really rebounds well, which is why they should be able to hang with UConn. I am worried about UConn being worn down by this team, as this game goes on with Geno only playing 6 girls. This is possibly the most athletic team UConn has faced this year. UCLA was the only other team on this level athletically. Nurse and Dangerfield will need a blow at some point. Crystal was UConn's best player first half.

This was a good result. UConn was severely tested by a very athletic team which horsed UConn on the boards, but UConn shot and executed well enough to win. Texas is a potential FInal 4 team, they are very good and will beat a lot of teams up on the boards.

I think Texas might have won this game if they shot a little better, but they didn't, so for UConn it's 16-0 and the first of 3 remaining good tests was passed.

Last edited:
By the way that was a fantastic game by Dangerfield. She was really a great steadying hand tonight and is playing more and more like a veteran. She looked like a floor General out there.

Gabby Williams does seem prone to high TO games, but it should be noted she had 6 assists with her 5 TOs tonight.

Gabby had a good stretch right after I typed that above, which got us the lead back.

Agree on all points. Texas was excellent. It was like a rocky movie, with each side responding with a flurry. So many times, our 6 point lead, goes to 15 and then 25 in a blink of an eye. Much credit to them. And our girls for fighting.

I don't think crystal makes those FTs last year. She's really grown up. Surprised that Lou missed hers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT