ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Rated 3.5 Point Favorite Vs. Memphis By Vegas Insider

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
VI opened with UConn -3 and spread is now -3.5 Bettors are concerned about betting against UConn at home now.

Idk who this woman is, I recognize her as a former Tennessee player, but she is one hell of an analyst

We need a nice comeback win to keep the momentum. Keep growing,

Wow that was a great win! Memphis could not hang on to the ball or get a clean shot the last 5 minutes. They looked totally rattled. This was very reminiscent of the end of the game against Syracuse! Vitale had some big plays again. He is much better than anyone thought! He looks stronger and a better athlete than what his ranking suggests.

From what I can see the decisive stat was Memphis 17 TOs to only 8 TOs by UConn.......and it seemed like most of those Memphis TOs occurred later in the game. Memphis was +7 on the boards and the FG shooting was essentially even, with UConn making one more 3. It was the late game D that won the game, as against Syracuse.

UConn shot 54% FGs in the second half and is now in sole possession of 4th place and one game behind Houston for 3rd in the AAC:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings

They have to keep winning and beat Temple Sunday.

Vegas Insider was again on target with their line, if they had allowed the Purvis dunk at the end it would have been a final spread of 3 which was VI's opening line.

Can someone explain that inbounds play at the end that resulted in a 2 handed dunk for Vital? It seemed like Memphis was in panic mode at the end of the game. Although UConn was playing great D at the end of the game that last 5 minutes by Memphis had to be the worst closeout of a very winnable game I have seen this year, also including some of the games UConn couldn't close out like Ohio State, Auburn and Tulsa. You normally do not see this from Tubby Smith coached teams. The Memphis guard play was very poor late in this game.

Can someone explain that inbounds play at the end that resulted in a 2 handed dunk for Vital? It seemed like Memphis was in panic mode at the end of the game. Although UConn was playing great D at the end of the game that last 5 minutes by Memphis had to be the worst closeout of a very winnable game I have seen this year, also including some of the games UConn couldn't close out like Ohio State, Auburn and Tulsa. You normally do not see this from Tubby Smith coached teams. The Memphis guard play was very poor late in this game.

Yea, the only explanation for the 2 handed dunk for Vital was a complete mental breakdown by the Memphis players it seemed like the switch from Vital taking the ball out to Purvis really confused them. As far as the worst closeout of the year easily goes to West Virgina at Kansas for a second I thought the Atlanta Falcons players put on WVU uniforms.

Wow what a turn of events. We looked horrendous in th first half and completely turned everything around in the second half. Jalen finally woke up and Memphis just kept giving us extra opportunities to stay in the game. After being down 14 I thought the game was over knowing how this season has gone, but we created turnovers and capitalized on every chance we got. Great to see a team win like this infront of our fans! GO HUSKIES!

Last edited:
It was an amazing turnaround and I loved the pride and guts and mettle UConn showed in this game. Jalen played so hard and so did Vital. I was really glad for them to win this game because they didn't give up or quit even when they were down 15 and nothing was working. The UConn defensive energy picked up at the end of the game just as it did against Syracuse. I really feel like this team can grow. I would like to see more from Jackson, Durham and Enoch. Vital is the best freshman as it turns out. And everyone said at beginning of the year he was the least ready of the freshmen. The kid is tough!

Last edited:
Reactions: dbaum_
Kara Lawson has been an excellent announcer for a long time, first on the women's side and now on the men's. She played at Tennessee 1999-2003 and was on 2 Tennessee teams that got beat by UConn in the finals. She was a very good player. Lawson and Sue Bird were the 2 best point guards of that era.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT