ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn MBB - The Pre-season

That's an interesting podcast. Dauster thinks Alex Karaban will start. I got the impression listening to him that he is a UConn fan and UConn graduate, but he actually graduated from Vassar College, where he played on the basketball team.

That's an interesting podcast. Dauster thinks Alex Karaban will start.
The more I hear, like in this podcast, the key to this team will be the same as last year. Do they have a go to guy when the shot clock is running down. RJ was OK but had speed and size limitations. Dauster says early reports on Newton are so so and they see him more of a wing scorer. And reports are that AJ needs to be the primary ball handler but he seems limited off the dribble as a scorer/creator. Diarra has been getting some early hype from Hurley so we shall see.

At least one of those transfers — Diarra — has really opened Hurley's eyes so far.
"Just how his personality has helped," Hurley noted. "His confidence and joy, his self-belief, a real competitive spirit, could be really great for our team. He's not a guy you have to try to talk into playing well. He thinks he's the best player on the court every time he gets on the court. You just know he's going to have a role that's going to really impact the team."

Dauscher's prediction for Newton was 11 points 4 assists- I think he said that's the best to expect along with 38% on 3s. Newton did get 5 assists per game at ECU. Newton's value to ECU was as a primary scorer. He also scored around 3,000 points in high school. The problem you have with high scoring guys who are primary scorers at lower level leagues is when you ask them to be primary distributor, and just the 3rd or 4th offensive option, is their ease of the adjustment to that role. When the offense breaks down and Newton has to create and score we don't know how he will be. RJ was effective within the parameters of his size and speed limitations, but was able to penetrate and power through contact and didn't seem to mind contact. All of that and toughness etc. we don't know yet with Newton. One encouraging thing to me is that you have multiple high assist guys on the floor- he has help with AJ as a point forward, so you have 2 guys whose assist numbers suggest they can both promote ball movement. Still, as Dauscher points out, we will see what it looks like when the offense breaks down and the shot clock is running down, and whether the finishing at the rim will be better.

They also discussed Sanogo improving his passing out of the post which is something else that needs to happen. I saw signs last year that Sanogo was improving on this as the season went along. This needs to continue as does his improving his use of his left hand as noted by Dauscher, whom I thought provided a sound analysis of the UConn team.

A few tweets this morning on DH from @ the Middlesex COC breakfast:

Also in "secret" scrimmage news: UConn – Oct. 22 at Harvard, Oct. 29 vs. Virginia

Also in "secret" scrimmage news: UConn – Oct. 22 at Harvard, Oct. 29 vs. Virginia
Here is a preview on Virginia from the Duke Basketball Report. The DBR seems to think that Virginia is a top 3 ACC team, possible 30 win team and their backcourt is loaded and deep, with more question marks up front, although they have size:

Here is a preview on Virginia from the Duke Basketball Report. The DBR seems to think that Virginia is a top 3 ACC team, possible 30 win team and their backcourt is loaded and deep, with more question marks up front, although they have size:
Would rather see a "non secret" home and home series with a few more ACC teams, like we have in FB.

I guess it's good to get some practice/shooting in at the XL center, especially for the new guys. Especially since Uconn had the building rented out this week-end ( for 2 hockey games)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT