ADVERTISEMENT

UConn in Tremont Waters' Final 7

Doesn't it seem like we are both each other's contingency plans? Waters seems to want Duke or UK but if they land better elite options as expected then we would potentially be next in line. Still seems like MAL is the top PG target for us

Doesn't it seem like we are both each other's contingency plans? Waters seems to want Duke or UK but if they land better elite options as expected then we would potentially be next in line. Still seems like MAL is the top PG target for us

This doesn't make much sense. He has already been offered by both Duke and UK. If he really wants to go there he can accept an offer from either Duke or UK before any of the other PGs commit.

But what happens if he accepts with Duke but then a more elite guy says "Waters can't carry my jock I am going to Duke and his ass can sit or play somewhere else." Then Waters could de-commit but it becomes a circus. It makes more sense to wait and see where better guys commit and then pick the best remaining school with an open PG starting bid. This is all common sense. I presume they have common sense until they prove otherwise.

Waters is definitely a contingency plan for UK and Duke. Although he may have an offer from them he knows that committing to either of those schools wouldn't be in his best interest with both schools expecting a bigger commitment. Makai Ashton-Langford is definitely the top point guard target but Waters is no consolation prize as he's very good as well. If both UK and Duke do indeed pick up bigger commitments it will be interesting to see where he turns. UConn could be among his top couple of that happens. Also, it's worth noting he's AAU teammates with Nick Richards.

Even if he picks UCONN he still wouldn't be the starting PG over Rique.

Why would any of these guys pick UConn? MAL might not start over Alterique either. That's why I scratch my head reading all these posts about guys who may or should pick UConn with utterly no analysis of depth at the position or who will start over who. Experience also teaches that some guys come in and are much better than expected and room has to be made to give them minutes, whereas other highly rated guys come in and are in no way, shape or form ready for high division 1 college basketball. Other guys may become unhappy with their playing time and transfer. This era of basketball we see it more than ever before.

I agree that it never hurts to have a deep roster with 2 very good guys at each position, but the reality is you can't usually get two top 50 guys at the same position one year apart unless one of them is one and done or two and done and same is obvious. With point guards, especially smaller point guards like these guys, it's never obvious until they actually come to UConn and play a full season.

Why would any of these guys pick UConn? MAL might not start over Alterique either. That's why I scratch my head reading all these posts about guys who may or should pick UConn with utterly no analysis of depth at the position or who will start over who. Experience also teaches that some guys come in and are much better than expected and room has to be made to give them minutes, whereas other highly rated guys come in and are in no way, shape or form ready for high division 1 college basketball. Other guys may become unhappy with their playing time and transfer. This era of basketball we see it more than ever before.

I agree that it never hurts to have a deep roster with 2 very good guys at each position, but the reality is you can't usually get two top 50 guys at the same position one year apart unless one of them is one and done or two and done and same is obvious. With point guards, especially smaller point guards like these guys, it's never obvious until they actually come to UConn and play a full season.

Although, we do need a guard to replace Purvis and perhaps JA as well so I wouldn't mind taking both of them :)

Lots of MAL ane ville rumors. Heard they might not be true or overplayed
People say he's afraid of a lack of PT in CT. I think that's ridiculous. You get the playing time you earn. There are no shortcuts to the league. If you can't beat out kids on an NCAA team for minutes, you certainly aren't ready to go pro. Take your time and develop your game under a good coach, not just one that guarantees you playing time as a nervous freshman.

That's because he sees Alterique Gilbert playing in that spot and he may not want to be an apprentice for 2 or 3 years. These guys want to play and don't want to share with another main man player at the same position. You can share with main man players more easily when they play a different position. Neither of these guys will see much time at the 2.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT