ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Exhibition vs. New Haven Is Sunday

Here's a few pre-game / twitter updates from yesterday:

and from his story in The Day:
" As usual, Ollie will start his veterans in the exhibition opener, so expect senior Rodney Purvis and Adams in the backcourt and seniors Amida Brimah and Kentan Facey in the frontcourt. Redshirt sophomore Terry Larrier, a transfer making his debut, will likely round out the starting five. "

The Day: UConn basketball freshmen will put their talents on display in exhibition opener

Just bought my ticket for this game- looking forward to seeing the team. These exhibition games will be a fight basically for minutes and playing time on this team.

According to my program both Durham and Enoch are 6'11", Durham weighing in at 207 and Enoch tipping the scales to 258 now.

Facey has hit two jumpers and Terry Larrier looks EXPLOSIVE. His first bucket was a blow by and finger roll off the glass a la Dr. J when he played for the Sixere. UNH isn't getting anything inside so they are using a Duke drive and kick to the 3 point shooter offense. UConn has to rotate but the D looks hellacious inside.

UConn has to defend the perimeter better. Enoch with two quick fouls, one offensive and the second he fouled a jump shooter .......

UNH hanging for the moment as they have made some 3s but NOTHING close to a good look inside.......total no shot zone from 15 and in for UNH and when the 3s stop falling they in trouble....

UConn only up by 1 at half because they are not defending the 3 well. From what I see of Gilbert he isn't ready- like Kemba his freshman year plays way too fast. Enoch was reinserted end of first half and immediately made his presence felt with a grown man rebound and grown man post up. But except on D not much from Brimah who did have a couple of good looks. UConn has to adjust the matchups second half because they are being small balled and killed by 3s.......need a smaller lineup for UNH I think......

Larrier slam on the break now has UConn up 6. Larrier and Facey are making loud statements to start at forward.....

Enoch just made another grown man post move......in very limited minutes he has looked better than Brimah.....

Nice 5 point personal run by Vance Jackson has UConn up 14. Rodney and Brimah have been more or less no shows this game and it's all Vance on 3 point offense.......but Larrier has a smooth looking stroke.......he is very good.

UConn now has burst ahead by 18 as the Vance Jackson show has occurred the last 5 minutes......Rashad Anderson all over again!!!!!!!

Vance Jackson might be the 6th man off the bench if he keeps shooting like this.......instant offense same as Rashad used to do......

83 points for UConn so free wings at Buffalo Wild Wings for everyone !!!!!!! And you can thank Vance Jackson for putting UConn at that number although a Christian Vital free throw sealed the wings deal!

Just a quick summary of the game: UConn got small balled in the first half with a 5 guard offense. You respond to small ball one of two ways. You either punish the other team on the boards, severely, or you go small with your lineup, and speed up the game and create better matchups. This basically explains why Brimah sat the last 17.5 minutes of the game and UConn went with a smaller lineup, because they sure did not crush UNH on the boards.

Although the rebounding issues concerned me a bit, I like the depth and versatility of this team and the offensive weapons. Larrier is very smooth, Jackson is a big time 3 baller and Gilbert can penetrate and push. I also was impressed with Durham who got limited minutes. Vitale and Diarra seem like they may be at the end of the rotation. But UConn can throw a lot of different lineups on the floor. Although Diarra did not play a lot I really like his body. Better body than what I was expecting. He could force his way into the rotation when a few boards are needed.

Just a note on rebounding. When UConn won the national championship in 2011 setting records for blocked shots, defensive FG% and 11 straight postseason wins, they had guys who were monsters inside in Oriakhi, Okwandu and Roscoe Smith. These guys were defensive beasts who rebounded and blocked shots. The current UConn team does not have 3 beasts. They have guys who are semi-beasts. Brimah can block shots but doesn't rebound. Facey can board and block shots and looks much improved, but not sure he is in Oriakhi or Smith's class as a beast on the boards. Enoch is the one guy on the team who looks like he could be a complete beast. But I still like these guys and the perimeter group UConn has is potentially fantastic. I think Jalen Adams and Gilbert need to show me they can shoot 3s. I know Purvis can, I now know Vance Jackson can (my goodness this kid can stroke) and I also believe Larrier has a stroke. Adams and Gilbert step up their shooting and the sky is the limit if UConn can find some boards.

Thanks for all the updates Khalid. Wasn't able to watch the game but as I suspected the deep ball might be an issue for us this season.

Vance is the only legit shooter on the team. Purvis improved a bunch last season from 3 and we'll need him to continue that trend.

Our PGs will also need to step up and show they can shoot it overall as we all know Gilbert and Adams can break defenders down off the bounce, but can they keep them honest with their jumpers?

Silk31 that is exactly my concern. Adams and Gilbert must shoot better than they did today. But the rebounding is also a concern. I am hopeful though because Adams shot a high FT% last year and Gilbert shot 3s well in high school. But Gilbert had a funny looking shot today, not sure why. VJ can stroke and I thought Larrier looked very smooth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT