ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-Duke

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
UConn played really good defense in the first half. I expected Duke to be a little tougher than what they showed. Actually Quinnipiac was a bit more physical with UConn than Duke was.

Duke has played well defensively.

But this is one of the three worst offensive performances of the year imo.

I hope they take it up a notch or two from here on out.

UConn’s final offensive stats looked better than how they played. It didn’t seem like UConn shot well, but 45% FGs, 38% on 3s and 18 assists are not terrible numbers against a good defensive team in a sweet 16 game. That being said, I thought they would beat Duke by 30 and was disappointed. We can expect a similar fight from South Carolina which is a dangerous opponent. Wilson is a major rim protection force that shuts down easy inside baskets, meaning UConn must shoot well from outside and turn SC over some to create transition offense.

We still missed shots that usually fall. But that is going to happen some days, which is why you have to be able to win games in the tourney every way and defense and rebounding are the constant.

Collier is going to have to play well and not just a bully player against inferior foes. She probably set the bar too high last year, but she hasn't been nearly Automatic since Miss St.

UConn’s final offensive stats looked better than how they played.

A couple of stats that didn't look good were getting the ball stolen 11 times by Duke and shooting worse than Andre Drummond ( steady at 61%) this year
on the FT line as a team (8-16...50%)

UConn never looks good when they play a decent team intent on slowing the game down and turning it into a rock fight. It looks even worse when they aren’t shooting particularly well. I’m just happy Duke didn’t have a very strong interior presence, or this could have been a nail-biter. Hopefully they are more locked in from outside against South Carolina.

All teams try to slow UConn down (except St. Francis which did not try to use a valid basketball strategy) because UConn is the best transition team in the country and they generally play much faster than other teams. Duke has very good experienced guards so they were able to do a better job than most executing that strategy. UConn is better equipped to handle it than last year because of Dangerfield being more experienced as a leader of a team and being functional in halfcourt sets. The problem is that due to her shin splints she hasn’t been shooting as well as she is capable of, but she can get to spots and penetrate and score, so her play will be important from here on in against SC and, potentially, Miss. State and Louisville in the Final 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT