ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Assistant Jones Resigns- Made 'Jesus In Huddle' Comments

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
UConn Assistant Jones Resigns; Made 'Jesus In Huddle' Comments
Says it's personal and family related, but with the pathetic uproar over his harmless comment, which seemed
to be taken out of context of whatever religion one believes in, who can blame him. I liked Geno's comment the best:

" If you asked me the religion of my players, I would say I have no idea. I really don't care. It's none of my
business. And I have tried to keep it that way." Then, Auriemma added: "But all of those people who had a

heart attack over what was said by our [assistant football coach] should go to whatever church they belong

to and ask for forgiveness."

Also if I remember right... didn't Edsall have a priest come into the Uconn locker room for a pre-game prayer ?
All I know is Herbst needs to stop making 40,000 people change their Saturday plans( like they did vs. Maryland
this year) to a night time game so a Jewish holiday can be observed...because if she's gonna run out a FB coach
for a Jesus comment, it has to work both ways.

Uconn changes Football game time because of Jewish religion- WTF?

This post was edited on 2/18 7:58 AM by the Blades

When I read the entire context of Jones's comments and the inclusion that he also discussed, I swear some of
these losers who made the most noise are brain dead...... for a recap for those like Herbst who have to respond
to parts of an article at the pandering of those who have selective reading:

"Jones said the players will have to first understand "other centerness." That means I care more about the well-being of
others and doing more for others than I do my very own self," Jones said. "We don't want to recruit people who don't
understand what other centerness is. That's what we look for when we recruit. That's what we look for in our staff.
Other centerness is key to who we are because in the social development piece these young people are going to be
around their best friends, could be the best man in their weddings, could meet their future wives, this is where they're
going to be for the next four, five years, teaching them how to grow and excel in this environment is important and
I'm going to be a big part of that."

"Now there's a whole bunch of areas on campus you can go, but we want to show the players and their parents that it's
important that we're going to be out in the lead in regard to those things, the social development piece, the spiritual piece, the intellectual piece."

Many of the players on the team have a spiritual base."Just because you come to the University of Connecticut doesn't mean you won't have the opportunity to
pursue your faith
," Jones said. "No, you're going to be able to come here and love THE GOD THAT YOU LOVE. So we provide OPPORTUNITIES for them to grow spiritually in our community. So I'll get out and meet some people in the community so when this young man, FOR EXAMPLE, says, 'I'm a Seventh Day Adventist or I'm a Catholic or I'm a Baptist or I'm a Jehovah's Witness,' well, OK, here you go. And we're going to do things in our building, fellowship, non-denominational type things, players, coaches.

"We really don't get to see Uconn football in the community often and we hear about it even less but that's going to change," Jones said. and " the Huskies will visit hospitals, elementary schools, retirement homes and churches to show that giving back is a consistent part of what UConn football players do."

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water !

This post was edited on 2/18 8:48 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT