ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn and Water's talking

That would be awesome! Waters is a stud, and he puts up way better numbers than MAL

MAL was prioritized over Waters meaning KO saw him as lessor fit in his "offense", given Kevin's decision making abilities coupled with his luck maybe he steps on a rake with a winning lottery ticket impaled on it

Reactions: UconNell
Lol Thought it was 8.6oz treemont waters?

I don't care if they sign this kid they still have zero plan and they lack the intelligence to formulate one.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
I don't think he will come to UConn. Nothing to do with the coaching staff, mainly due to the fact he would be competing against Alterique for 4 years as the PG. yes we can run 2 pgs at one time but that will likely be Jalen & Alterique next year followed by Alterique and potential top tier PG in future recruiting class.

Would love to have him on the team but I think he is looking for a team where he can have the ball in his hands from day 1. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up going back to GTown.

It makes no sense for him to go to UConn, unless Jalen Adams leaves and he starts in 2018, but that would be a under 6 foot back court which doesn't work well at this level. I think he will commit to Creighton which I believe needs a point guard.

It makes no sense for him to go to UConn, unless Jalen Adams leaves and he starts in 2018, but that would be a under 6 foot back court which doesn't work well at this level. I think he will commit to Creighton which I believe needs a point guard.

He's not allowed to commit to Creighton since he signed an NLI with Georgetown (Big East rule)

Reactions: Afghusky15
Lol Thought it was 8.6oz treemont waters?

I don't care if they sign this kid they still have zero plan and they lack the intelligence to formulate one.
Mr Brightside at it again.

Bottom line is that he's good and can handle the ball, something only one starter has been able to do in each of the past 2 years. It would be nice to have 3 legit ballhandlers on the roster again. Vital's dribbling is suspect but hopefully his improves too.

Good point about the ballhandling but if you are playing two 5'11" guards there could be issues on defense. In the first few games this year UConn was giving up tons of 3 pointers and that kind of thing becomes a real problem with bigger guards who can just shoot over smaller ones. Sometimes what you gain with ballhandling you lose on defense. There were exceptions in the past of course, Moore and El Amin were both smaller guards but Moore was the best defensive guard in UConn history and the only guy who ever stopped Alan Iverson, and Ryan Boatright was a similar ballhawk and defensive pest, but guys who are small generally don't play D like those two did.

Good point about the ballhandling but if you are playing two 5'11" guards there could be issues on defense. In the first few games this year UConn was giving up tons of 3 pointers and that kind of thing becomes a real problem with bigger guards who can just shoot over smaller ones. Sometimes what you gain with ballhandling you lose on defense. There were exceptions in the past of course, Moore and El Amin were both smaller guards but Moore was the best defensive guard in UConn history and the only guy who ever stopped Alan Iverson, and Ryan Boatright was a similar ballhawk and defensive pest, but guys who are small generally don't play D like those two did.
Fair but remember that Gilbert was lauded for his on ball defense and Waters isnalso know to rack up steals. Would they give up points due to size? Yes, but they'd also get a lot of steals and in turn, transition buckets. Boat and Napier weren't much bigger.

Wasnt an issue for bazz and boat

If it's between UCONN, Georgetown, and Creighton I don't see how he doesn't choice UCONN. Not Creighton for the reasons mentioned above and UCONN presents an opportunity to go against better guards in practice and also gives him the chance to earn a starting spot over talented guards. It's not like Rique is guaranteed to start. If waters is better he will start.

Mr Brightside at it again.

Bottom line is that he's good and can handle the ball, something only one starter has been able to do in each of the past 2 years. It would be nice to have 3 legit ballhandlers on the roster again. Vital's dribbling is suspect but hopefully his improves too.
I wasn't saying he can't play I was saying his size, given the rest of our guards size, would be a problem & I just don't see this kid coming here. Also every once in a while it's important to remind everyone that KO is an imbecile because I don't want you to get your hopes up.

Who is supposed to be bazz and who is supposed to be boat? One of these kids hasn't played a game and the others arm keeps falling off

Last edited:

As I mentioned Boat was an unusual defender (so was Ricky Moore who just had very fast feet and could get to any spot and plant) but most guys that are small do not play D on that level and Gilbert in his brief UConn tenure before getting hurt didn't do anything to allay 3 point defense concerns. Also Jalen was slow and looked lazy on defensive rotations at times last year. I understand he was overworked and exhausted during the season but the kind of defense he played at times last year cannot happen against good teams that can make 3s.

It's looking more and more like he will come here though. I'm not saying they will be Bazz and boat. Obviously that's impossible as freshman, but saying that if they give their best effort they can make it work defensively.

As for Gilbert's elbow, I think that the surgery he had was more major and is supposed to prevent any dislocation going forward. He'll likely wear some padding on it or something, but I wouldn't go into the year expecting another shoulder injury. And he looked like the best player on the floor for us over the first two games last year, even if it was a king of the idiots situation.

KO can lack the Xs and Os all he wants, but if you put Larrier, Adams, Vital, Waters, and Gilbert on a team, they will score a lot of points.

Anderson, at this point, I just want 8 guys that are capable of playing at this level. And I think he'd be one of them.

Just watched his video, he's a midget but if he gains 75lbs, it's Khalid el Amin part duex.

Not only would he help win games, but he'd be a blast to watch for 3/4 years.

I wasn't saying he can't play I was saying his size, given the rest of our guards size, would be a problem & I just don't see this kid coming here. Also every once in a while it's important to remind everyone that KO is an imbecile because I don't want you to get your hopes up.

Who is supposed to be bazz and who is supposed to be boat? One of these kids hasn't played a game and the others arm keeps falling off
That wasnt his argument. Good try tho. He said, "Good point about the ballhandling but if you are playing two 5'11" guards there could be issues on defense." I responded bazz and boat to say that 2 small guards can be effective on def

“Creighton, Kansas, Syracuse have come into play, a bunch of other schools,” Waters said. “Creighton hit me up yesterday. My dad has been dealing with the other coaches. UConn is (involved) too.”

The Creighton situation presents some issues since the Big East has regulations preventing a player from signing with one Big East school and then becoming a scholarship player at another school within the conference. When asked specifically about visiting UConn, Waters said, ‘I’ve think I’ve visited enough, being from Connecticut and going to camps so I think I’ve visited enough.” Waters continues to keep tabs on the incoming freshmen and returning players on the teams he is considering. He is more than happy to let his father handle much of the heavy lifting in the recruiting process.

It does strike me as an odd recruiting pitch by Ewing, but more people are focusing on that than the real question here, which is whether Waters warrants and deserves the comparison. I haven't see him play enough to know, but Kemba Walker was the best slashing guard who ever played at UConn. His 2010-2011 was the best season I have ever seen by any UConn player in the last 35 years. He was unbelievable on a consistent basis, lighting up great teams that were focused on stopping him. He was relentless. I would be very careful in comparing anyone to him because he left UConn after achieving a standard of greatness that we may never see again from a guard that size.

I understand he's coming off injury, but Gilbert has already been cleared to play. Also, the idea that he wont be starting seems crazy to me. Dude is a beast. Waters will certainly get PLENTY of minutes, but Gilbert is a freshman in name only. He's been in practice. He's played a few games (and played well). These 2 together might be undersized...but they'd be so much fun to watch together. Adams will probably be gone after this coming season.

He's not coming here. Both sides interest in each other is tepid at best. Tremont father is too involved and Huskies don't want a Jackson redo. Tremont wants to be the guy from day one (only exception being Duke). He won't be that guy here at UConn, not in year 1.

Is Tremont a good player? Absolutely

Would he help the team? Sure

Is his commitment a must for UConn? No

We will be fine with or without him. We are in a good spot with a number of talented 2018 guards and we will still have one of the best backcourt next year in all of college.

I can't stand that all these guys are divas. He's a good player, but lets be serious he's nowhere near a 1 and done and he's what 5'9"? I'd love him on the team, but these guys need a dose of reality.
He can go wherever he wants...and id take a one yr and transfer if we can land a 2018 stud PG to pair with AG.

There are lots of divas out there now, and Diva status is driven by Twitter and Internet attention to these guys and you couple that with the helicopter parents and it's very hard to manage the expectations of these kids. The statistics show that a lot of hyped kids never make it, and some of these guys are demanding minutes before they have ever proven they deserve any

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT