ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a coaching change

TRUCONN76

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2005
I did not like the Pasqualoni appointment when it was made by Jeff Hathaway because I felt as the new kid on the block UCONN needed to be agressive and bring in a young up and coming coach who could get the program moving forward again as it had seemed to stall under the conservative Edsall.

Once he was hired I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and support him with the hope that he could at least improve recruiting. Although I do believe he has improved recruiting, his game preparation and game management leave much to be desired. Normally to be fair you would like him to have another year to prove he belongs with more of his recruits on the field, but for UCONN I don't think they have the luxury to afford that year.

I listen to the fans around me at the games and they are giving up on the program and is it any wonder? The team this year can't function on either side of the ball. At least the last two years they could play defense.

The biggest problem that I see with Pasqualoni is that he does not seem able to respond to the problems that he recognizes exist. The offensive line has been a problem for three years and it is getting worse. The running game is non-existent and has been for two years.

The defense was good due to coach Brown and he is gone and so is the defense!

Change is needed and it needs to come sooner rather than later. The message needs to be sent to the fans that we are serious about being successful in football. The time for that message is after the Michigan game in my opinion.

Pasqualoni seems like a nice man and maybe that is part of his problem in not taking more timely and drastic action to solve problems. Nice or not it is time to move on.

I've taken pretty much the same approach all along, that it was an uninspiring hire but maybe his longtime recruiting
roots and NFL experience on his resume could upgrade the talent in Storrs. Time will tell but Edsall's secretive
but talented 2 star guys, many who have made the NFL, have done better than anything that PP has brought in.

To me him and GDL are past their prime in dealing with the micro managing of college kids after working with pro's.
His immediate rush to bring in GDL who hasn't kept a job or been successful in years just screams the 2 are happy
to be back in their home state milking a well paying retirement job. Because nothing they have done since has proved
otherwise. They've had their chance and it's ugly.

Uconn needs a young HC who's had some success as an assistant or in the MAC, who's on his way up with something
to prove. Not two dinosaurs who have been there and done that someplace else. Their losing as they collect a nice check
seems way to exceptable. They remind me of a FB version Dom Perno, but at least he had the Fieldhouse and no facilities
to blame. Unfortunately if the next guy doesn't demand winning at all costs Uconn may never move up in CFB. Just
look at all the corner cutting/grade fixing/ drug flunking/ renegade programs being exposed lately in the Big 5......that
seems to be the only way to go. And makes perfect sense why many in the Big 5 are making a big push to the NCAA
for player payouts and their own set of rules. Hell you can't have star players (or Heisman winners) sitting or program
scandals(aka/ bowl bans) when ESPN is paying the big bucks for TV ratings, LOL !
This post was edited on 9/29 2:22 PM by the Blades

The huskies did not embarass themselves in front of a large television audience but they also did not win a game they could have won with better quarterback decisions and coaching.

As difficult as it is to do I still believe it is necessary for a change in coaching. I hope for UCONN's sake that Warde Manuel agrees and has the contacts to identify and attract someone with the ability to take the program forward.

Agree TRU..... Pasquoloni needs to GTFO!

I agree they need to hire a younger... hungrier coach who SEE's the potential here and that it is a sleeping giant... yes even in football!!

Hartford Courant: Desperate Times Call For The Rational Measure: Pasqualoni Must Go

And the articles says as for PP's old goomba George DeLeone:
"Moving Mike Foley from line to tight ends coach, moving in DeLeone, insisting on a zone-blocking scheme that never has
met expectations, a group of upperclassmen who simply can't block nearly well enough, so many people seem to have
a specific answer."

"Whether it's one of the reasons or all of them, you know what? They haven't fixed it. They aren't fixing it. And it sure doesn't look like they're going to fix it anytime soon. When you're averaging a nationally worst 45.7 yards a game on the ground and you've allowed more sacks [20] than every team in the nation except Idaho, guess what? Your offensive line play is putrid."

....but despite all this George got a title promotion and a salary increase from his old buddy PP after he was demoted as
the OC to work on one thing, the OL !!!

This post was edited on 9/29 11:23 AM by the Blades

The sooner the better. We can't afford a prolonged period of uncertainty and a lost recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT