ADVERTISEMENT

Things UConn Needs To Work On

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
It's a pretty long list, but to get started:

10 assists and 21 turnovers are not acceptable totals for a team whose strength is supposed to be its guards. Southern did not pressure UConn last night. They played basic straight up solid defense. From what I saw a large number of turnovers came on weak, high school like passes and tenative/indecisive play. These things need to be cleaned up.

Brimah- Played an overall OK game, 12 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks. Had a dominant stretch of play that sealed the outcome of the game. His main issue is he continues to be foul prone, due to trying to block everything and not always being in good defensive positions. When he gets into foul trouble that means extended minutes for Nolan, who is not as effective, and possibly even Lubin, who is not ready.

Nolan- Added weight did not seem to help him much. Led the team with 5 TOs, all kinds of problems finishing (got shot blocked several times, other times travelled or could not complete play) and hanging on to the ball. Only bright spot was 6 rebounds in 19 minutes.

Purvis - To me it does not really look like he knows how to play. As opposed to Cassell who is extremely efficient on offense, Purvis looks like he has trouble reacting to the defense. Bulled his way to the hole a few times into a mass of bodies, rather than take open shots or pull up. He is relying on athletic ability and not natural instincts to get things done and on this level it is not going to work. He needs to be a little more cerebral. He will be a turnover machine if he continues to play like he did last night.

Boatright - Played okay- but didn't really shoot that well, and didn't really handle or distribute well (4 turnovers and 3 assists). On the other hand nobody is mentioning that Tylon Smith, a 1st team All American player in D-2, was held scoreless last night.

Facey - 9 boards in 18 minutes, but his offensive repertoire is frighteningly limited. He got the ball in scoring position at one point and the best he could do was throw up an awkward looking shot that missed everything and he didn't draw contact despite getting the ball in great position to score or get fouled.

Lubin- 4 boards in 7 minutes, looked aggressive going to hole and may eventually challenge the minutes of Facey and maybe even Nolan. Conditioning seems to be his main obstacle to getting more minutes.

Samuel - 8 points, looked solid off the bench, 2 steals but no assists backing up Boat. Between Boat and Samuel a total of 3 assists, this is not starting any offense.

Hamilton- he started the game well, but honestly he looked a bit overwhelmed by the physicality and speed of the game. Shot 2-7. 9 boards is a nice contribution, but I hope he can shoot better and adjust to the physicality of the college game.

Cassell- the best player on the Court last night for UConn. Most efficient player on team, best shooter on the floor, highest IQ. He will be a starter when the regular season starts. I don't think Purvis or Hamilton are ready and I will expect Cassell and Calhoun, when healthy, to replace these two as starters for the foreseeable future. I would start Cassell next game and see how he handles it.

This post was edited on 11/5 9:45 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

+1. KSTW, very good review, not much I can add...

regarding T. Smith...I sat with some of Tylon's family last night, his uncle is Head Coach of Windsor
and has coached the CBC AAU team( that Drummond, Dunn etc. have played for). Smith had alot of trouble
taking his man off the dribble and going inside vs. the Uconn bigs and seemed to be content with with distributing
the ball. They were hoping for a little more. He doesn't seem like a big time shooter, more the strong powerful
guard type. The small white kid probably had the best game of the guards for SCSU and I saw Uconn's Murray Williams
in the stands. I'd guess Desmond Williams from Torrington, who lead them in scoring with 19 pts is MW's and Jordan's
( NBA and Maryland) relative.

This post was edited on 11/5 1:51 PM by the Blades

Originally posted by TateGorgeous:
So you would go

Boat
Cassell Jr.
Calhoun
Nolan
Brimah

Samuel
Purvis
Hamilton
Facey
No, I am not prepared to start Nolan over Facey. Facey actually produced 9 rebounds to Nolan's 6 in one less minute, last game. Nolan stays on the bench. I would start Cassell, Boatright, Hamilton, Facey and Brimah and bring Purvis and Nolan off the bench. Unless Hamilton shows better Sunday, he is a candidate to be replaced by Calhoun once Calhoun is healthy.

Let's see what happens on Sunday. These guys know they are playing for starting jobs. Maybe Purvis and Nolan will respond with better games (I don't think either one can be worse).

I missed the game, good read. I watched a little of Purvis at nc state and I didn't see him as a 5* guy. Hope he's matured and grown and that I'm wrong.

Is Sunday's game on line somewhere? ESPN 3?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT