Nov 27, 2010
2009 - Final Four
2010 - Pretty lousy
2011 - Championship
2012 - In the tank
2013 - Banned
2014 - Championship
2015 - A new low...might not be a NIT team

I could have mixed up a couple of those years, but our erratic program really wears me out. It's definitely a unique resume.

There have been too many errors in the recruiting process in the last 5 years. UConn needed to capitalize on the 2011 and 2014 national championships in the recruiting wars and they didn't. The current freshman/sophomore class isn't up to past standards and the coaching staff has to really step it up and bring in some tough minded and talented players.

Agree this is all on recruiting. Calhoun had better recruits that rounded out teams. Kevin has lost all depth. Shabazz was a Calhoun guy so was Boat, next year they are all on Ollie right ?

Very Sad we dont recruit better, hoping Adams is a Walker type how wasnt taht great as a freshman so maybe we need something even better than Walker. We are screwed if we dont get STONE and another top guy double screwed if we dont get either.

I was disappointed when the Huskies didn't pick up a grad transfer like Kromah. They could have really used Kromah part II this year. Maybe there wasn't anyone available, but they definitely need a calming presence, as well as someone who can handle the ball and shoot free throws. With Boat graduating, that goes double for next year as well, as I don't see anyone at the moment who can play that role. Heck - maybe they need two of them.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:
Agree this is all on recruiting. Calhoun had better recruits that rounded out teams. Kevin has lost all depth. Shabazz was a Calhoun guy so was Boat, next year they are all on Ollie right ?
Also agree, But Uconn's had a rough 3 years in the negative recruiting dept. as to what coaches can use
against them. And remember when Boat, Daniels and Drummond committed nobody knew the end of the
of the" Best Basketball Conference in the country" would be dying a slow death. JC always had that very
important selling angle
to any recruit. JC said that was always a big thing and in the beginning he'd tell
kids well maybe you can't play for Georgetown and with Patrick Ewing but you can come to Uconn and
compete against the best. To the point that Uconn passed them.

In 2011 Omar who committed in June was being talked about as a flip to elsewhere ( maybe not a bad thing the
way he can shoot or dribble his team out of games ). because of the APR ban, the programs uncertainty and
JC's age. Then suddenly with the APR ban on the horizon ... Pitt, Cuse leave followed by Notre Dame. Uconn
also lost 3 schollies in 3 years ending in 2012-13 and couldn't get another 2012 commit, despite winning a
NC the year before, except Nolan who was a last minute add on because of losing AO, Drummond and Roscoe
to the APR ban. Then about a year later Rutgers leaves... Ville jumps Uconn to the ACC and a couple months
later.... the Catholic-7 are gone. No one can tell me all of this doesn't have a huge effect on recruiting.

Now KO/Uconn has to walk away from any marginal student because of the APR and Ollie's best conference
in America ( the Old big East which doesn't exist anymore)... that JC had to sell to recruits..becomes you
get to play at Tulane in a HS gym or places not much better, while Uconn becomes all these schools NC
game. If your Uconn....the only place you can go in the AAC is down.
This post was edited on 2/3 12:09 PM by the Blades

Oh and speaking of recruiting: Tyler Dorsey to join Ducks a program and coach that's been in shambles
with rapes, academic issues and the rest....but hey they are a P-5 and they've got Phil Knight writing the checks.

This post was edited on 2/3 10:13 AM by the Blades

Originally posted by northdakotahusky:
2009 - Final Four
2010 - Pretty lousy
2011 - Championship
2012 - In the tank
2013 - Banned
2014 - Championship
2015 - A new low...might not be a NIT team

I could have mixed up a couple of those years, but our erratic program really wears me out. It's definitely a unique resume.
+1 NDHusky

No consistency what so ever. You want to bask in the glory our our recent successes yet we can't find any form of extended success. It's very frustrating and while it may sound greedy, we won't be one of the real bluebloods until we actually consistently play like them for years.

From the time frame mentioned we have had the Nate Miles scandal hang over our heads, the APR BS, JC step down - if not for anything else we are an entertaining program to follow with extreme highs and extreme lows.

NIT is just not acceptable to me. We missed the NIT in 2006-07 but that was when we had the mass exodus after George Mason with all freshmen. There is no excuse for this bunch of players and coaches to be in the same kind of class

Originally posted by Silk31:There is no excuse for this bunch of players and coaches to be in the same kind of class
I look at this team and I cannot understand why they are 11-9 and in serious danger of no postseason. I think mostly it's been bad recruiting but you also look at guys like Olander and Nolan- both managed to get worse rather than get better the last few years. I am disturbed by that trend.

There was a big time failure to capitalize on the two championships in the recruiting wars and one bad season could wash out completely the impact of the 2014 championship. I see no reason why Stone would want to come to UConn other than that he would be guaranteed to start and UConn had two other talented frosh incoming. It should be easy to sell a starting job but there is not much else to sell on the existing team that will return next year.

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
Olander and Nolan- both managed to get worse rather than get better the last few years. I am disturbed by that trend.

There was a big time failure to capitalize on the two championships in the recruiting wars and one bad season could wash out completely the impact of the 2014 championship.
Don't be too disturbed over recruits of Olander and Nolan calibers not developing. I expected more out of them over the course of their careers, but the overall expectations for rotational big men should never be high.

Following Kemba's title we landed a class of Drummond, Boatright and Daniels.....that is one of the best we ever had, the failue that year was on the court not on the recruiting trail.

This year's recruiting class is not done, and it's in good shape with Adams and Enoch, it can be another great class if we win out on Stone.

Our failures in sustaining success has been more than recruiting...it has been coaching, preparation and execution more than anything else

For me it isnt the lack of being in the FF every year as I expect and accept that it doent work that way, its the falling off the planet seasons that bother me with the Drummond year the most disgraceful second to the GW loss a few years back. Both of those were tourney teams and were more frustrating than this year year was honestly.

Maybe its the lack of PT stars would get when they are thinking about coming here when there is a Kemba/Bazz/Boat already here. There is probably a lot in the conference we play in and the part of the country we are in..........lots going against us when you really look at it.

I doubt we ever go to the bottom of basketball but seasons like this scare me that its possible, we have Adams coming in who is by most accounts a star but Enoch isn't that surefire and no one returning is more than a bench player talent wise so we are getting close to having back to back really down years if we are not careful.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:
I doubt we ever go to the bottom of basketball but seasons like this scare me that its possible, we have Adams coming in who is by most accounts a star but Enoch isn't that surefire and no one returning is more than a bench player talent wise so we are getting close to having back to back really down years if we are not careful.
I think the program has taken a big step back. Next season will be critical to determine if this season was an aberration or beginning of a decline of the program.

You guys want to talk about program consistency, look at Gonzaga the last 15 years. NOT in a power conference and made the NCAA tourney every single year since 1999:

26-9 1999-00
26-7 2000-01
29-4 2001-02
24-9 2002-03
28-3 2003-04
26-5 2004-05
29-4 2005-06
23-11 2006-07
25-8 2007-08
28-6 2008-09
27-7 2009-10
25-10 2010-11
26-7 2011-12
32-3 2012-13
29-7 2013-14
22-1 2014-15

There is no reason UConn can't have this kind of consistency.

Agree on the Zags.......HOWEVER I would not take it over the 4 titles we have in that span. Give me to heartache over almostbeing great each year.

This post was edited on 2/4 3:03 PM by Dominicfrank

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT