ADVERTISEMENT

The point guard play on this team is so bad, when does DH take responsibility

Calhoun_for_President

Jul 18, 2004
I have watched many college bball games this year. UCONN consistently has had the worst PG play out of any team in the country.

Alterique Gilbert majors in brick laying. I may hire him to build the fire pit in my backyard, he certainly wont be collecting a paycheck playing basketball.

Jalen Gaffney wouldn't get PG minutes on my 40 and over rec league team

Wasn't Danny Hurley a point guard?
Doesn't he come from a family of point guard guru's, both playing and coaching?

GET SOME HALFWAY COMPETENT POINT PLAY IN HERE DH
You're performance at UCONN to date has been nothing but a failure

The dynamic PG duo tallied 2 assists for the game..........2

5 years of garbage basketball and counting with no end in site.

This program is officially dog poo

The guards have not played well but I think the problem is the bigs. They need more out of Akok offensively and they need effort out Carlton.

The guards have not played well but I think the problem is the bigs. They need more out of Akok offensively and they need effort out Carlton.

I agree with this. There have been disappointing performances from multiple positions. I would also agree that the PG position is one of them. I think Cole will be a big upgrade next year.

Reactions: Walker15
I have watched many college bball games this year. UCONN consistently has had the worst PG play out of any team in the country.

Alterique Gilbert majors in brick laying. I may hire him to build the fire pit in my backyard, he certainly wont be collecting a paycheck playing basketball.

Jalen Gaffney wouldn't get PG minutes on my 40 and over rec league team

Wasn't Danny Hurley a point guard?
Doesn't he come from a family of point guard guru's, both playing and coaching?

GET SOME HALFWAY COMPETENT POINT PLAY IN HERE DH
You're performance at UCONN to date has been nothing but a failure
No offense but this is a really stupid post. Teams that would blow us out of the gym a few years ago we are stretching to single and double overtimes. Give Danny some time and chill out.

No offense taken Blenner, I find your post equally stupid.

UCONN fashions itself as one of the elite brands of college basketball.
What elite brands miss the tournament 3 years in a row and 4 out of 5?
Duke? UNC? Kansas? Arizona?
Chill out you say?
NO

Some people like you relish in participation trophies, I do not.
I relish results. There has been zero improvement this year, zero.
Losing close means didly poo, its still losing.

We are at the bottom half of a lousy conference AGAIN and its disgraceful.
Go hand out your juice boxes and snacks to the boys when they walk off the floor after another loss.

While I agree with you CFP I am not as doom and gloom....I think the issue is that DH doesnt have enough bodies so Gilbert/Vital/Carlton are being used when they are NOT what DH will ever recruit here in the future.

I think Cole is going to light it up next year, Jackson looks like a STUD so when you add that to Bouk, Gaff, Polly, and possibly Cliff......it could be an astronomical leap for us next year.

If you look at it from transfers to freshman next year......both mens and womens could be the talk of the game.

Reactions: blenner
No offense taken Blenner, I find your post equally stupid.

UCONN fashions itself as one of the elite brands of college basketball.
What elite brands miss the tournament 3 years in a row and 4 out of 5?
Duke? UNC? Kansas? Arizona?
Chill out you say?
NO

Some people like you relish in participation trophies, I do not.
I relish results. There has been zero improvement this year, zero.
Losing close means didly poo, its still losing.

We are at the bottom half of a lousy conference AGAIN and its disgraceful.
Go hand out your juice boxes and snacks to the boys when they walk off the floor after another loss.
Wow another really stupid post! Calhoun I know you are the guy that got cut from his high school JV team and now sees himself as John Wooden but guess what? Your still the dope you were in High School. You have to walk before you run and we are going to get there even with moron fans such as yourself.

Another "great loss" last night.
1-4 in the AAC, 11th place in a 12 team league.
A half game ahead of South Florida for dead last.

You can really see the improvement here!!

1-4 is just terrible. DH has three players that just kill us in Gilbert/Vital/Carlton. Taking over a program Im not sure he had a choice so that is why I reluctantly give him a pass this year too. Cole gives me GREAT hope, you simply cant watch him with Howard and not see not just a good player but an Elite PG.

Add Cole to Jackson, a second year Bouk, a second year Akok and possibly Cliff and you can see how that team just has NOTHING to do with this one and last years. Springs could have something and Brown looks decent.

I don't blame Gilbert or CV, Hurley offensive sets are horrible, there is no spacing on the floor. What happened to Akok 3pt shooting?

RJ has a lot of this programs success in [his] hands next year.
New read with quotes from his former HC (who's now at LSU) and Hurley:

Nickelberry appreciated Cole's loyalty.
"He was a high major kid the day he stepped on campus," Nickelberry said. "He could have gone anywhere he wanted to because of the senior year he had. ... But he decided to take the detour to Howard. He could have already been in the Big East, he could have already been in the ACC." Nickelberry expects that Cole will continue to excel.

" A former assistant at Clemson (2003-06) and DePaul (2009-10), he believes Cole's game translates to the Big East level. The year practicing with the Huskies will help ease Cole's transition. "I think he's going to be special," said Nickelberry, who just completed his first season as an assistant to LSU head coach Will Wade. "Obviously, there's going to be an adjustment period for him after sitting out for a year.... But he's a great basketball player. He's going to do whatever coach Hurley needs him to do. This season, they're going to need him so they can make that jump (to the Big East). Everything I've heard from the coaches up there, he's been everything that he's been advertised to be."

"I compare him to a quarterback that gets the ball out on time," Dan Hurley said. "He just sees the floor, a tremendous pick and roll, ball screen player. He has tremendous court vision. He's just a very, very efficient offensive player that has the ability to make everyone around him better because of the way he sees the floor. ... He's really easy to play with. He can score the ball and he can be a playmaker.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT