ADVERTISEMENT

My Final Grades And Assessment on UConn 2 Exhibitions

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Preliminary thoughts: this is going to be a fun team to watch. They are built to play up tempo basketball and run, run, and run some more. In halfcourt sets, Gilbert and Adams can drive and get into the lane whenever they want. The team is not yet playing with total cohesion, but I believe that will come. Numerous players on this team have a lot of talent and potential.

STRENGTHS: Transition offense, dribble penetration by the guards, overall roster depth and versatility, and team length, especially inside. Offensive talent with a number of weapons. Defense looked good in stretches, especially today.

WEAKNESSES: Rebounding was not great the first two games (although I understand there are not a lot of rebounds to grab when the team is shooting close to 70% as they were most of the game today) and perimeter defense, at times. Three point shooting was not anywhere near as good as what I was expecting, except for the second half Vance Jackson explosion against UNH. The team had a lot of turnovers (19 today- totally unacceptable ball security playing against a team that did not really pressure them).

Team Grade: B+

Individual Grades:

A Terry Larrier. In my mind, Larrier was the clear best player on the team taking into account both games. He played very well both games, and I believe this kid is better than what we were told. We were told that he makes bad decisions, takes bad shots, is erratic shooting the 3, and is defense oriented. That did not match the guy I watched the first two games. He looked like a total stud out there. Not only did he make numerous athletic dunks, but he threw down a tomahawk that most college players would not have even attempted, let alone made, due to the bad angle he had to the hoop vs. the defender. He had numerous athletic, explosive drives to the hole, including a finger roll move that Dr. J, Julius Erving, used to make. I saw a guy who looked very smooth and explosive and I really like his shooting stroke. He also played unselfish ball and passed for several easy baskets to teammates. With his outstanding tools, I will be shocked if he does not average well into double figures and he potentially could lead the team in scoring, if not this year, then next. Clearly the most ready of the new guys.

A- Kentan Facey- played very well on offense and defense, and quite noticeably, he hustled and did not give up on plays, which one time resulted in a game changing blocked shot on a player streaking for a breakaway layup, a la what LeBron James did to the Warriors in the end of game 7 last year. Showed solid inside post moves for a guy who has mostly been invisible on offense for 3 years.

B+ Alterique Gilbert- he wasn't good the first half against UNH, and was playing way too fast, but then calmed down and over the next 1.5 games looked like a very good pure up tempo point guard. This guy promotes good ball movement and he did a superb job in today's game of managing the team as a floor general. Today he had 6 assists and 2 TOs and 5 boards. However, he did not make a single outside shot in the two games and wasn't looking for it. Jury is out on how well he can shoot when called upon to against the Syracuse zone defense. The shots he took didn't look good and I would not expect him to score much. He could average like 5 points a game and help this team.

B+ Amida Brimah- 17 points in 11 minutes today, including a personal 14-0 run to start the second half when Ollie told the guards to feed him against smaller, overmatched interior defenders. All dunks and layups. Was a no show the first game partly due to UNH playing a 5 guard offense which saw Brimah removed for the final 18 minutes, so I give him a mild pass on that performance ,which was not good.

B+ Rodney Purvis- Was an absolute terror in transition and ballhawking against Southern. He and Larrier are scary good transition players. However Rodney didn't make any 3s and his halfcourt drives were jittery and produced a few TOs, showing flashes of the old Rodney.

B Juwan Durham- didn't get heavy minutes and looked tentative at times, but also flashed tremendous skills, a nice shooting touch and very good man to man defense. I am glad they didn't redshirt him because Enoch, Facey and Brimah have all looked foul prone in the past and another body is needed up front.

B Jalen Adams- he didn't play well the first game but was better today and was very aggressive going to the hole. Did not shoot well from outside. Also had some TOs, which were unnecessary.

B Vance Jackson- gets an A for his first game and a C- for today. In the first game he looked like the reincarnation of Rashad Anderson at his best. Today, Southern noticeably played up on him and invited him to drive, and when he did, he was uncomfortable and committed TOs. He will need to adjust to this, as the word is out on his shooting. As a pure shooter when open, he is a major, major marksman, in the category of Rashad Anderson and Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis on the women's side. Pure form.

B- Christian Vital - this kid is going to be a very good 4th guard off the bench because he is a ratty player. Had 5 boards today and doesn't seem to mind mixing it up a little. Hustles.

C+ Steve Enoch - For me he was the biggest disappointment and this has to be reflected in his grade. He continues to show flashes of beasthood, but frequent early foul trouble is getting in the way of his development. I did not like his body language after the fouls today. He seems to pick up fouls on plays where it doesn't look like any foul should be called. Enoch is drawing whistles and I think it's because he constantly puts himself in bad positions where he invites a whistle. The coaches need to work with him on his positioning and footwork so he can stay on the floor. He has shown nice post moves and it's fairly clear he is the best low post offensive player on the team.

INC. - Mamadou Diarra - Did not play today due to swollen knee, and played very little in the first game. Looks very raw but has a nice body and may be needed for rebounding, against certain teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE and tcf_15
Good job KSTW, I was at the games ( why not...I'm at all the games)....it was a nice sample size just to see a little more,especially the newbies...as you mentioned the perimeter D was atrocious in game one and UNH took advantage of it hitting wide open 3's in the first half, then got a little cold in the 2nd with the same looks....way to much Uconn sluffing away from their man into the lane for help or rebounds that would never be needed when the ball was on the opposite side, because with 2 quick passes UNH would swing it across to have wide open 3 looks all day.....other than that...as you also mentioned..... they need to board a little better underneath, but there was also alot of long rebounds with all the outside shooting, that Uconn guards ran down.

Last edited:
Rebounding, 3 point shooting, perimeter defense, and excessive TOs were the 4 problem areas. You don't worry so much about the last two in preseason games because they are very fixable, although like you I was wondering how UNH kept swinging the ball to shooters who were left wide open. There is no way you can play defense like that against a team playing like that.

So that leaves rebounding and 3 point shooting as the biggest concerns moving forward. The rebounding is an area that has to Improve because you don't get transition baskets consistently unless you rebound consistently. This team has a collection of perimeter players who are outstanding in transition and for them to be able to get out on the break you need anchors pulling down rebounds inside. This is what made the Freeman/Voskuhl team the quintessential UConn team. I am convinced that team would have gone undefeated if Hamilton had not gotten hurt in the second half of the year. What made that team so tough was they not only boarded well but Voskul in particular would rip away a rebound, look up Court and then throw a missile up court to someone streaking for a basket and hit them on the money and in stride for the easy two points. Brimah isn't the same kind of 5 as Voskuhl. He doesn't rebound as well and doesn't outlet as well but he is long and can really block shots. I wish Brinah played more like Voskuhl. You put Voskuhl on this team with this perimeter group and UConn would destroy people in transition. IMHO for all these reasons I feel Jake was the most underrated player in UConn history. Another thing he did is he would set screens that were freaking walls and would never get called for offensive fouls like Brimah and Enoch do. It's because he planted his feet quickly and didn't budge. I still think they should bring Jake aboard as big man coach and KO if you are reading this please consider it.

I hear you on Jake or even a guy like Clyde ( when he played as a 6-4 PF for Pitt) who Uconn used to have....proves that you don't have to be a pogo stick to be a good rebounder, or effective down low. (see oldschool NBA guys like Paul Silas or Wes Unseld too).....the other factor with shot blockers like Brimah is they also have to leave their own man and lose any chance at box out position when he tries to swat shots of his team mates men......covering up for them when they get beat off the dribble....so it's a double edge sword...

Blades you did not mention if you agreed with the grades I assigned. Was I too easy? Too tough? What is the rap on Professor Khalid?

Blades you did not mention if you agreed with the grades I assigned. Was I too easy? Too tough? What is the rap on Professor Khalid?
My grade was you have way to much time on your hands......I thought I was long winded.....hell son.... you wrote a book......;)....you should be working for the premium board..LOL !

Blades I like to write ......I am an attorney and it's all I do........ so you didn't answer my question????? How accurately did I grade the team? You said you attended the two games so what was your take?

Tough to place too much emphasis one way or the other when it comes to exhibition games so I try to wrangle my excitement for the season and not to get too carried away. One thing that is clearly evident is that this year's squad is light years ahead of last year in terms of athleticism.

We had some players like Gibbs, Nolan, Cassell Jr & Omar who were rather one dimensional and overall not the typical kind of athletic players we are used to having.

Our length is off the charts and we should be a suffocating defensive team yet again. If we rebound well enough we will be able to get out and run which will lead to some easy buckets. We have the horses to be a nightmare in transition so I'm looking forward to a much faster pace team this season.

Can't wait for Friday!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT