ADVERTISEMENT

texas thread

Not sure how UConn calls a timeout to set up their defense and then Texas runs one defender through a pick to get Holmes wide open for a corner 3. There should have been no open 3s that could win the game. It looked too easy to me. UConn did not have to lose this game.

Love the fight with only 6-7 bodies against a tough, big and good Texas team!!

Hurts bad that we lost that way hope Boat is ok otherwise this will be a loooong season!

Look no further than the soft kids in suits On why we lost this game.... #7 team in your house on national tv biggest game of year so far and you want to look pretty on the bench..... Man GTFOH!!

TSam needs to play more than Cassell Jr. Going forward. Dude is no where near shape for this level.... Look at the layup that was blocked and goaltended but he shot that like he was bowling to get a strike... Smdh

Have to win both against Duke and Florida now or at least more pressure too win those with this loss at home

I do want to reiterate love the fight and overall defense and intensity... There are plenty of building blocks... But must stay healthy and play!!!

Seth Greenberg said on ESPN that Texas beat Iowa State at the end of a game last year with the exact same play they used to get an open 3 for Holmes to beat UConn today. So I guess our hats are off to Rick Barnes for outcoaching Fred the Mayor Hoiberg and KO.

I can care less KSTW... Dude NEEDS to give effort and PLAY

Where is that competitive mean streak kid I saw when we played against him back in the garden a few years ago.... I want that Rodney back not this premadonna lookin ass!! Man Coach has his work cut out for him with some of these kids I tell ya!

Well, if you are going to sit out while your team loses on national TV might as well look good doing it. LOL
smile.r191677.gif

As for the game: Boat simply cant miss his last FT. Simple end of story, this team sucks at FT's and our best missed when it counted the most and has so far this season. Now he has a hurt ankle either because he messed up the switch or Hamilton has no clue how to play defense and its not good either way. Here are my grades for the game:

Ollie: D-
Boat: B+
Brimah: C-
Hamilton: C-
Facey: D-
Nolan: F
Samuels: D-
Cassell: D-
Lubin: C
Crowd: A+

Overall- [/B] We all need to reevaluate this team.

I said before that this could be a .500 team if no one gets better and helps Boat and I think it is much closer to that than a Sweet 16 team. Just too young and before anyone points out that Purvis and Calhoun weren't out there today as a reason for the loss I think today we were MUCH better with Purvis on the fing bench. Sign me up on the Purvis is all hype no substance side. Calhoun might have something but I'm not holding my breath. What I am looking for this year is to see what Ollie can do to get this team ready for the years to come.

Ozz- I disagree on Texas being a VERY good team, I think they are frauds and nowhere near the 7th best team in the country. They are top 25 at best. Barnes is a $hit coach and I didn't see anything out there that made me think this was a Sweet 16 team at all.There is no way a guy like Myles Turner should be a non-factor like that, Man Barnes is really really bad.

This post was edited on 11/30 3:34 PM by Dominicfrank

Just saw that Cassell was 1-7 from 3........Ozz is on to something, this kid is not ready.

Overall 3-16 from 3. That wraps up another addition of "You will not win games if you shoot....."

A lot of the stats were not bad. UConn outrebounded Texas. And the defense was really good. But on offense UConn shot 30% FGs, 3-16 on 3s and only had 7 assists against 8 turnovers. 7 assists is pathetic. By the ways Samuel had another assistless game. He has now had 4 assistless games including the 2 exhibitions.

Cassell Jr. was a huge disappointment in a game where he was really needed to step up. He is not ready for that level of competition.

Honestly I still think this team can be pretty good. Things don't look good right now but this game was and should have been won on the defense UConn played. That defense will keep them in every game. They just need to get better on offense. 30% FGs and 7 assists ain't cutting it. I would be willing to bet Blades was at that game and his wife made him stop at the CVS to get some Pepto Bismol because he had to be sickened watching that offensive horror show. Brimah, Cassell and everyone else was a horror show, except Boat and Hamilton. However it can and will get better than this.

This post was edited on 11/30 4:28 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

This game shows one of the disadvantages to being in the AAC: UConn can't afford to lose the few good out-of-conference games that are on the schedule, and this one hurts. It's nice that they play teams like Texas, Duke, and Florida, but they have to win one or two of them. I think that UConn will be a tough out by the time the tournament rolls around - but they actually need to get into the tournament, and a good record in the AAC won't be enough to do it. Unfortunately, with a team like this that needs time to develop, it hurts that the out-of-conference games are, by necessity, at the beginning of the year.
This post was edited on 11/30 4:48 PM by USNA90

USNA90,

Very good points. However even if UConn loses to Duke and Florida, if UConn wins the AAC tournament they will get an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament - and the AAC tournament is in Hartford.

There's also the seeding issue to consider as well. What type of seed can they reasonably expect to get as the AAC tournament champion without any good OOC wins? Also, anything can happen in the tournament, so you would hate to have to rely on winning the conference tournament to get into the NCAAs.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:

Ozz- I disagree on Texas being a VERY good team, I think they are frauds and nowhere near the 7th best team in the country. They are top 25 at best. Barnes is a $hit coach and I didn't see anything out there that made me think this was a Sweet 16 team at all.There is no way a guy like Myles Turner should be a non-factor like that, Man Barnes is really really bad.

Top 25 at best?

They're without their best player and leading scorer and they're still playing like one of the best teams in the country right now, LMAO

Yea we have a good team and our D is top notch and will keep us in most games BUT my whole thing is.... what is the absolute BEST ability you can have..??

AVAILABILITY! Period. If you are not there participating then no matter how important or good... You are worthless!!!

I understand injuries but you can play hurt goddamn... If this was a postseason game or tourney game... Would you do what it takes to play and help your brothers????

Originally posted by Ozzie3178:
Yea we have a good team and our D is top notch and will keep us in most games BUT my whole thing is.... what is the absolute BEST ability you can have..??

AVAILABILITY! Period. If you are not there participating then no matter how important or good... You are worthless!!!

I understand injuries but you can play hurt goddamn... If this was a postseason game or tourney game... Would you do what it takes to play and help your brothers????
So what's the deal now with Uconn's "Ferrari' and McD's All-American who was in street clothes for this game ??
Also Omar Calhoun has to get back on the court healthy and find some of his double figure scoring and 3pt
shooting from his FR year or this is gonna be a long season.....remember when it was only gonna be an exhibition
game or 2 ? .......it's a simple game put the ball in the basket.... but with 70 % of the scoring gone from last
year these 2 need to get on the court and start shooting the rock at a decent %...... ASAP !!!

This post was edited on 11/30 6:46 PM by the Blades

Not sure Blades... Just do not understand why no Purvis today??
Omar I'm surprised he is still in street clothes. I personally thought he would play some today also or at least be in uniform

Those 2 guys are as important as cogs as we have and need them in. Available!

Sorry if I was coming too strong at some of them but man Coach Calhoun wouldnt stand for any of this... KO is the same!

If you not willing to give 200% every day then maybe this ain't the place.

Coach KO is sending a message to these guys but hopefully it gets to their heads!!!

Some of the issue seems to be depth and what I mean by that is practice is tough but nothing like it should be and used to be with competition at every spot. It will be that way soon next year but that's future.

Just frustrating when you know the ability and see what a guy like Purv can do but when he barely plays that erks me to no end.

Btw any latest local media news up there about Boats injury???

Boat has a left ankle sprain and is day to day. Needless to say he won't be needed for Yale or Coppin State.

We are going to need purvis to help out Boat and Hamilton on the offensive end. And cassell looked more like John Starks jr against Houston in the NBA finals, today. he has to learn that when his shot isn't going down to be more of a facilitator. Same for Samuel.

I like this team, it's just going to take some time to gel. We held a top 10 team to 50 points and out rebounded them. Just need more offensive efficiency.

Yale and Coppin State will give us a test and might win. I'm telling you something, this team is nothing without Boat.

Yale and Coppin State will give us a test and might win. (Yale, yes, 6-2 only lost at Providence by 6 points.....Coppin St, better not, is 0-4, lost by an average of about 40 points)

I'm telling you something, this team is nothing without Boat.
Boat's another one who's got to start trusting his shot more and get some confidence on his 3 pt'ers because we
know he has it (37% last year)......he's starting to do what Purvis was doing and was afraid to take wide open 3's
on more than one occasion and chose to force drives all the way to the hoop. I know he's only shooting 23% on
3's so far, but man taking it all the way to the hoop vs. 6-10 guys is a losing proposition. Then the other problem is
when he made smart kick outs as he did drive.... nobody can hit from beyond the arc either. (3-16 after 3-17 vs WVU)
Maybe this is just gonna be a bad shooting team.....but I'd love to see these guys get it going in the next 2...........

So calling Omar ! Unless he never finds his stroke or needs to take the red shirt this year that he should have
taken last year. First it was a couple of exhib. games then it was Calhoun sprains knee, out 2-3 weeks now it's
over a month. Then we have Purvis who was Ollie's ' Ferrari' who has to the shake off rust[/B] and now it seems like
he's becoming a Jaguar, a Paul Pasqualoni style RB who is always in the shop. DeAndre where are you? We
can only dream .....what a difference a 42% 3pt shooter would've made for this team !
This post was edited on 12/1 11:06 AM by the Blades

LMAO. Texas is good enough to beat UConn on their own court and with the home crowd advantage!

This now makes 2 Big 12 schools that beat UConn this year. WVU vs UConn at the Puerto Rico Tipoff and Texas vs UConn at UConn!

Have a good day, folks!

WATCH: Jonathan Holmes sinks late 3, Texas beats UConn 55-54 - CBSSports.com

This post was edited on 12/1 7:09 PM by UT4Texas

See what you did DOM .
lurk.r191677.gif

It used to be we just got to rag on Uconn around here...even B4 another National Championship
....but now we have visitors who stick around........man... I almost forgot about that loss to WVU.

But Hoorah for web hits....come on Dom I want a reprisal ..... let's keep this going, LOL !

This post was edited on 12/1 2:28 PM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT