ADVERTISEMENT

Tate George Sentenced To 9 Years For Fraud

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Ironically a second player from UConn's 1988 NIT Championship team in the news today:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...icut-star-tate-george-sentenced-9-years-fraud

I will only comment on Tate's basketball talents. Tate was a good player. He really wasn't a good shooter but was an effective big point guard and played both ways. He had a pass picked off to beat Duke in the 1990 Elite 8 game and all he had to do was throw it back onto the court and UConn wins that game and goes to the Final 4. It was a heartbreaking loss to say the least. I am sure Tate relives that play again and again. It was actually a good defensive play that went awry, setting up the Laettner last second heroics.

Needless to say while that may have been a disappointment, his "shot" to beat Clemson was an NCAA tournament highlight for years and is an all time tourney moment:

I've already mentioned my business dealings with Tate years ago, on some level it seemed like he believed he was the fictional Gordon Gekko, but to me he was easy enough to read threw in about 15 minutes, I feel bad for the peeps that got burned by him.... and that he had no shame in his game...but Karma usually gets ya sooner or later. Glad he didn't burn me too when he was cryin' "come on can't we just make a deal"......you only get one chance at creating a bad reputation, then it's gone forever...don't screw that up.... peace out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT