ADVERTISEMENT

Some Things UConn Needs To Work On

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
I really think this was a conditioning win much like the Columbia game - UConn kicked ass in the last 10 minutes of both games after trailing much of the game. These kinds of wins will happen again this year but there are still things that need to be fixed:

Hamilton (who leads the team with 39 TOs) is turning the ball over repeatedly on the same move where he spins around and exposes his dribble. The scouting report is out on him. He needs to pull up and shoot a little more and handle and penetrate less, and he definitely needs to get better shooting the 3.

The transition offense needs to be better. On one empty opportunity Purvis has a layup and instead of going to his left hand or jamming, he tried a baby jumper, ends up getting fouled and missing both FTs (2 of the 3 misses on the day!). Then Hamilton steals the ball and UConn has a 3 on 1 break and he passes the ball to Nolan who can't handle it. UConn needs to get way more offense in transition than what they are getting. This is essential until the halfcourt O gets better which, with Omar back and producing and Purvis draining a few 3s, it will get better.

Although Brimah was a huge factor on defense with his rebounding and shot blocking, anyone notice how easily he was being pushed off the blocks on offense? That's why he had only 3 FG attempts. He needs to get a lot stronger because he has been invisible on offense against the bigger stronger teams, even if he was a huge help on D today.

Samuel had his best game of the year today, no TOs, 6-6 FTs and 2-2 FGs so he did not miss a shot, but it would be nice to see him develop a jumpshot especially since his FT stroke looks good. Similarly Purvis's 3 point stroke looks solid, but he can't make any FTs. He is now a 60% FT shooter on the year which is not acceptable for a guy who can stroke 3s.

For Boatright - can he figure out a way to stay healthy? As I said in the offseason you love his toughness and he is not shy about taking contact but his body type does not permit him to take contact and that is why it's been one injury after another this year. Jerome Dyson had a much better body and he was constantly hurt more due to his reckless attacking style but Boatright has a duty to stay healthy and it will not be happening with his body if he keeps playing as he has been.

Lastly this is another game where TOs (14) were more than assists (10). On the season UConn has more TOs (153) than assist (143). This has to change.

This post was edited on 1/3 8:36 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:

Samuel had his best game of the year today, no TOs, 6-6 FTs and 2-2 FGs so he did not miss a shot, but it would be nice to see him develop a jumpshot especially since his FT stroke looks good. Similarly Purvis's 3 point stroke looks solid, but he can't make any FTs. He is now a 60% FT shooter on the year which is not acceptable for a guy who can stroke 3s.
Another shout out to Samuel is that he's the only guy who understands how to break a press with his
speed and dribble. I know Boat is dinged up but even when he isn't he's a side to side guy to much
or even pulls up his dribble when being pressed in the backcourt rather than using his speed to break it.
I noticed that KO kept subbing T-Sam in against pressure and the other thing that he does well is pull up
after he breaks the pressure in the frontcourt. Instead of taking it all the way to the hoop and force a bad
shot when nothing is there, something that D-Ham ( Purvis at times too ) has a tendency to do when the
numbers aren't in his favor.

This post was edited on 1/4 8:31 AM by the Blades

The part about Hamilton resonates with me the most. We are really expecting a lot out of him in the future. And that spin move seems like 2nd nature to him. Also it works a decent amount (a lot against lesser competition). It will be a hard habit to break.

The problem is that teams are scouting UConn, they are seeing Hamilton make that spin move and coaching their players to slap at the ball as he turns, and that is why he has been a turnover machine. The move does come natural to him and he does see the Court well, but he needs to work on his left hand and be less predictable. I am sure the UConn coaches are working with Hamilton on this. He is obviously very talented but he also has a lot to work on to reach his potential which is very high. I hope he stays in school a few years at least.

DHam is really dependent on his right hand right now, even when he does go left he likes that spin move back to his right. He is fine right now though, you can't expect a freshman to not have freshman mistakes, and all his mistakes are nothing that coaching and experience can't fix in due time.

I would like him to be more aggressive and selfish when he gets into the lane. Those Amida lobs are all good and grand vs Coppin State and Central Connecticut type teams but against better competition that play won't be there all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT