ADVERTISEMENT

SMU Out, Beaten By Lower Seeded UCLA

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Very hurtful loss for the AAC, as they lose to a UCLA team that many felt shouldn't have even been in the NCAA field. I was counting on SMU to make hay in the tourney, but now their early exit will buttress claims that the AAC stinks and didn't deserve any more than the 2 bids it got.

Heard Francesa on the Radio going nuts on a terribly called goaltending...hard to tell.... but SMU self destructed, after getting a
7 point lead with 1:26 to go... Worse was when they had the ball up 2 with 22 seconds passed it into the backcourt to an SMU
big and he threw a 15 Ft pass to his cutter in the front court completely behind him right to the UCLA player for a TO.
UCLA vs. SMU: Bruins win on goal-tending call
This post was edited on 3/19 6:34 PM by the Blades

Even worse losses: a couple of 3 seed KO's of Big 12 teams

(14) UAB 60 - 59
Iowa St. (3).
(14) Georgia St. 57 - 56 Baylor (3)
This post was edited on 3/19 6:47 PM by the Blades

Here is the NCAA covering their ass when the ball clearly had no chance to go in from:

@JohnFSilver
42 minutes ago
"Here is the nonsense: National Coordinator of Officiating John Adams explains call at end of SMU-UCLA Game"

LINK- http://snpy.tv/1DDauLK "

@JohnFSilver
37 minutes ago
" Come on NCAA. Correct the call. Don't let The poor player take the hit because you want to protect a ref. One is

paid, one isn't "

Mike Greenberg[/B]@Espngreeny
" This guy is a joke. That ball had a chance to go in? In what universe was that going in?"

" Folks this one is easy. That was not a goal tend. End of discussion."

This post was edited on 3/19 7:02 PM by the Blades

It was a bad call, but SMU should not have allowed themselves to be in a position like that where they could be beat by a shot or a call. They were the Flagship school of the AAC in the NCAA tournament, and now they have been torpedoed and sunk. It's up to Cincy now and they are usually out in the 1st or 2nd round due to being poor offensively.

Can't expect anyone but Uconn to do the work for this conference.... Are you listening Big 12 ?.... I heard your
short 2 teams to make your conference name complete....we know you guys got FB covered but we can upgrade your
hoops profile and be an East coast partner for WVU !

Now Cincy is losing by 3 to Purdue at half. Purdue which is a good shooting team is 1-10 on 3s and I don't think that will continue even though Cincy does play tough D.

Given that UConn finished 6th in this sorry ass conference and does not have a top 25 team for next year basketball may be a tough sell. It could actually be going the other way- I would hate to see UConn asked to leave the AAC but if UConn has a few more years like this one in basketball and football, who knows. The next 2-3 years of recruiting are critical to the future of the UConn programs.

Yeah that'll be the day they ask Uconn to leave..LOL ! Newsflash...ESPN even has it in their AAC TV contract that
if Uconn ever leaves this conference with another team ...ESPN can renegotiate the terms with the left overs.
But it is a Uconn specific clause... Uconn getting out of this conference could give a big boo$t to recruiting... but
in the mean time it is what it is.

Oh and nice job Cincy at the buzzer and in OT....but good luck with that next team you'll be facing....
wink.r191677.gif
.....hope
you enjoy it..... compliments of the NCAA !
This post was edited on 3/19 10:31 PM by the Blades

I have ZERO issues with the call for two reasons:

1. NCAA has vague rules but should adopt NBA rules where that is goal-tending regardless if the ball had a shot to go in. it DID have a shot at hitting the rim so to me its logical that the call was made and makes sense to me. You can assume the ball doesnt bounce crazy and go in.

2. SMU should be banned from this tourney for academic fraud and paying players. Somehow like UNC they are waiting until after the tourney. Anyone SMU beat would have been pissed had they lost to a team that should have been ineligible. Come to think of it, UCONN would have won the AAC tourney if SMU was banned from both tournies so F SMU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT