ADVERTISEMENT

SMU Coach Larry Brown Praises UConn Offense

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
SMU Head Coach Larry Brown

"Offensively we had a hard time guarding them, especially out on the perimeter. Hamilton, Boatright, and Purvis, they all kind of got the ball in spots they wanted to.

I don't think we defended as well as we needed to. It was a miracle we were down just six. I thought they were great. I was laughing because Purvis was shooting 40% from the free throw line and he makes every one - and a lot that mattered.

Give them credit, they were really well-prepared. They played really hard. It was a phenomenal environment. I hope our program someday is going to be received like this. It was just great to be a part of this.

In the second half, we got back into the game, took some ill-advised quick shots, and then they capitalized. I thought they were more disciplined on their end of the court. I don't know how many teams would have beaten them tonight.

I thought one of the big plays was we had a dunk that goes out of bounds and then it seemed like things turned.

The better team won. I didn't think we matched their energy. When you go 9-20 against us from three, we're going to have a hard time winning a lot of games. We're a pretty good defensive team, and I don't think this was our best effort. But I also think you should give credit to the people we played against."

I appreciate his kind comments but the dude should be taken out by his cheating soon. I hope Yahoo has the same gusto come tourney time as they did us and Calhoun.

You do realize that rooting for probation for SMU hurts UConn substantially? UConn is in a weak conference and doesn't need one of the few teams that shows signs of becoming a top program to go on probation. If SMU goes on probation, UConn's SOS and RPI and potential seeding will suffer dramatically.................rooting for probation on SMU is like test firing a bullet into the foot.

This post was edited on 3/2 8:56 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Yep your right KSTW let's just let everyone else cheat their way to the top, while Uconn gets kicked in the gonads
by the NCAA and continues to play it clean... academically and otherwise. It's accepting being this type of collateral
damage that made Uconn a disposable douche..... while commuters schools like Louisville, Cuse and the rest who
have no standards walked right past Uconn... as we're left behind in the AAC playing nice. You want SMU and Memphis
to be the next to leave the AAC in the dust as they build their P-5 resume at Uconn's expense?.........

RPI and this on going case of Stockholm syndrome my ass...... Hooray for Uconn and F#CK everyone else. If you don't
want to worry about others deciding your future just win your own tourney and and take it to the house in the NCAA's ....
so as Shabazz said in not so many words...the NCAA can go F%ck themselves too !

This post was edited on 3/2 5:06 PM by the Blades

Everyone wishing punishment on SMU will be yelling and screaming when UConn's SOS and RPI go in the tank because the conference is comprised of weak bottom feeders and probation teams.......... you can't rely on winning conference tourney every year. If that is what it boils down to every year it will be a dice roll every year..............it is what it is, as long as UConn is in the AAC we must root for all these teams to do well. Cheating may be necessary to compete with the P5 - that is the sad reality.

This post was edited on 3/2 10:46 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

I wont be yelling and screaming... I've already accepted last year that RPI, BPI or whatever they want
to call it.... doesn't mean squat when it comes to the NCAA when they look at the AAC. I guess rankings matter if
your team's in a conference not called the AAC Did you miss SMU's snub last year ?

The Mustangs were ranked 25th in the AP Poll, 23rd in the Coaches, which is why nearly all prognosticators had them in.
" Brown said he began to worry during the selection show once he saw that Louisville had been dropped to a No. 4 seed.

He "figured that [the selection committee] didn't have a lot of respect for our conference."

And more from Brown yesterday:
"I don't know if anybody knows what conference we're in. I don't even know what the criteria is, to be honest with you. I never
said anything last year, about us not going in, because I didn't want to be not appreciative of some other team that got in. But
when I saw Louisville had a four-seed, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Memphis getting seven and eight seeds, I knew we didn't have
a chance. Then I looked, we were 4-6 against top-20 teams. I don't know what a BPI or an RPI, or who the hell does that stuff.
... I just hope we have somebody in the room that realizes there are some quality teams in this conference. This is a quality
win for Connecticut. I don't know how they'll look at it. They might just think we're just SMU like SMU was years ago."

I think Uconn has to load up OOC, no more cupcakes allowed. As Mr Brown says thinking Uconn's gonna get any favors
from the NCAA for beating anybody in the AAC, this year or any year, is huge misconception and another sad reality.
This post was edited on 3/2 7:11 PM by the Blades

In my opinion UConn needs 3 more wins- 1 regular season and 2 in AAC tourney meaning they must make AAC finals. I think 20 wins will do it because the defending champion will get a nod for being defending champ from the NCAA. Except for that there would be nothing.

Of course the automatic nod would be better, but I think a win over Memphis plus two AAC tourney wins will be enough.

That SMU win was BIG and we do have a shot of making the tourney as it sits now. I dont trust the NCAA and think we probably have been on the outside looking in for 2 months now.

Would you take a NIT title over making the NCAA's ?

There is definitely a shot at making NCAA but I think 3 more wins are needed to seal the deal, any way you cut it.

Either win last 2 regular season and 1 AAC tourney game, OR

Win 1 of 2 regular season games and 2 AAC tourney games,

and UConn is in. Of course they could also lose out and win the tourney and get in but this would also require 3 more wins.

3 more wins gets UConn to 20-12 or possibly 20-13 and they then get the nod.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT