ADVERTISEMENT

Should Uconn, Cincy, USF, etc. ...go into attack mode....

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
.......vs. the P-5, the NCAA and the TV networks ?

Alot of this is stuff we've been talking about for 5 years on this board
since ESPN paid the ACC to destroy the old Big East...but Jacobs writes an all encompassing article regarding the set-up of the current cartel and TV inequities. He hits at the many current problems of the system that were added to when the NCAA piled on allowing autonomy a few years ago, using the voting power of the P-5 and a bunch of mid and low majors who have no horse in the race.

and says:
" It is a system, monopolistic to be sure and, historically, shown to be corrupt in its bowl machinations, richly deserving of such scrutiny."

and he say in the group of 5 " the majority of those 63 not all-in for Power 5 membership, one has to wonder how many would have the stomach for an open fight. This leaves 15-20 schools that could put together a huge all-fronts battle to gain some kind of equitable distribution before they spend themselves into oblivion."

Jeff Jacobs: It's Time To Scrutinize The Big 12 ( the system and more)
" The Power 5 conferences essentially can act as a cartel, restricting membership, doling out hundreds of millions of dollars to long-standing weaker conference cronies while more competitive athletic programs are left on the outside. Worse, when they do see fit to add a school, they cut deals in which the newbies receive a significantly smaller share for years."

" Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard delivered the truth last week: "The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference, and we're getting $3 million [in annual TV revenue]."

Last edited:
What he is writing I have suggested multiple times on this board.in the past...........these schools grouping together to challenge this in the courts under antitrust or unfair trade practice laws. As far as I can see laws are being violated, but it is up to somebody to stand up and make the challenge............if they have the guts and fortitude.

I hear ya KSTW...we've all seen the corruption going on with the system. I've read about the NCAA v. Oklahoma Board of Regents ruling years ago, and I know it's out there. But then you have sympathizers like the clown from U of Hartford ( same guy who was all in to use retroactive APR scores to ban Uconn BB from the NCAA's) Of course Harrison goes along with the P-5... because if a new system is created he'd be completely on the outside looking in. He should have no vote or say in these matters. Uhart doesn't even have a FB team.
"Like that ruling or not, and I don't particularly (like) it, it's hard to overturn the Supreme Court," said University of Hartford president Walt Harrison, who served in top NCAA posts for several years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT