ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein and Goodman at UConn practice

Brimah is widely perceived as offensively invisible and although he generally has been invisible against the top teams he did drop 40 on dunks against Coppin State 2 years ago and also had a big game against SMU last year. Problem is partly that against bigger teams he gets in foul trouble and plays tentatively. He could be better on offense, I mean even Thabeet scored in double figures his last season. But there is no doubt that Enoch has far more natural offensive talent than Brimah. That's why it could be interesting playing both guys together.

Those are interesting comments from Rothstein but truthfully nothing that we on this board don't already know as far as glass being the key. And that starting lineup he identified looks rebounding-challenged to me. I think unless the guards rebound like crazy there will never be enough rebounds in that lineup- maybe if Enoch is at the 5 but Brimah isn't a good rebounding 5.

Enoch is the next Phil Nolan......in that we all want him to be counted on but will he? Different bodies and games but same thought of him needing to win minutes.

Enoch has a great body for the 5, I want to REALLY believe he can be really good.

We know that Enoch is a much better rebounder than Phil Nolan. What Enoch has not yet shown is the ability to stay out of foul trouble and in the game, so that he can grab some boards. Nolan, although a good man to man defender, was one of the worst rebounding big men UConn has ever had. And he certainly wasn't a good offensive player whereas Enoch, apart from having a stud body, shows legit offensive skills and moves. Of course I thought the same from Souleymane Wane and he was never better than a very good backup center to Voskuhl, though he and Voskuhl could throw some hellacious sudden double teams on unsuspecting opponents.

If Enoch played defense like Nolan he'd start and be all league. He was known as a spot up jump shooter at Norwalk high. Now he's winning dunk contests and looks like a mini Andre Drummond. He's really talented. Defense and taking care of the ball will earn him minutes.

Purvis needs to rebound at a much higher rate. But five years in, I don't expect a dramatic improvement.

We have a lot of ability on the roster, but we did last year as well. The question is, will the potential be tapped?

Reactions: UConnFamily
Durham will play no redshirt. KO absolutely loves that kid!!

I like rothsteins staring 5 but to me the better play especially early on is replace Larrier with Facey for rebounding.

Personally what I think would make us excel later in the year is put Purv as the sixth man for instant offense and lockdown D while starting Larrier at the 3 to really go get boards at the position. We need some proven bench scoring and shooting and Purv provides that!

Oh and Dom we don't have any Nolan types or cassells or any unathletic player really on this roster. Maybe Vance is limited athletically compared to everyone else on the roster but he has good skills!!

Reactions: Shaggydog84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT