ADVERTISEMENT

RIP to the Pearl

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Time flies, died to young, remember watching him at the Civic Center, he was one of the early stars that made the Big East what it was back in the day....

I had heard about his illness and saw him interviewed about it recently. He was an innovative player who many emulated. I do remember though that UConn swept Syracuse when Earl Kelly was a junior home and away, and in the game at Syracuse Earl hit 2 FTs to ice the game and after the second went through said, "that's all folks." Earl outplayed Pearl in the game at Hartford. UConn had Cuse's number that year. However Pearl was a great player and I also recall a year later in BE championship game vs. St. John's Walter Berry (another legend of that era) blocked Pearl's shot at the buzzer to end another memorable game.

RIP Pearl Washington- a great opponent

Wow young indeed.

All these old school Bball players dying early or in there 50s...

Orlando Woolridge.... Moses Malone etc...

He was one of the few Cuse guys I liked playing PG myself back in those days. Sad.

The greatest shot of Pearl's career was the 45 foot buzzer beater swish against Boston College, which brings back memories of Jalen Adams' buzzer beater against Cincy. Jalen's shot was longer and he had less time to make his shot, but note how smooth the Pearl shot was, much like Jalen's:

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT